Lumia 920 Jailbreaking Video(Dec 29 updates)

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920 Jailbreaking Coming Soon(Dec 28 updates)

While jail breaking would almost certainly facilitate piracy, piracy isn't the only motivation for jail breaking.

As a developer, suppose I wanted to be able to store data on the SD card as an option for storage limited phones. How would I do that?

Jailbreak.

If I wanted to create an app to allow the user to create custom playlists without having to plug it into a PC?

Jailbreak.

I could actually go on for some time, but I'm typing this on my phone.

MS have created a very strong security model in Windows Phone, and the above two examples are expressly prohibited by that model, as are other useful things like a file manager. It is possible, albeit highly doubtful that 8.1 or 9 would address these, and either way, they'd be useful long before any serious upgrade from MS will come.

In the past, I've jail broken several models of iPhone and iPad, and have never pirated any software. In fact, I've bought several apps in Cydia that offered me features that are otherwise unavailable in the Apple app store. In case you weren't watching, that meant more dollars in the pockets of developers.

I may be unique in that nob-piracy stance, but when I read people decrying the end of the world due to jailbreaks, I do rankle a bit.

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Jail breaking isn't illegal
Piracy is
But gotta agree with drbanks, if there was a jail break saving apps to sd card, and things like that(No cydia Bs) Id be all for it, Atleaat until Microsoft release an update with same features

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

I'd love to see a whole host of things that are currently impossible. #1 on my list would be the ability to use NFC to change settings (not just open the settings page). That would make NFC actually useful and is a real-world use scenario that would seriously improve the functionality of the phone for me.

Wilsen Hernandez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

I'd try it, for the extra functionality and customization (more tile colors, extra row of tiles - those two things are what I am looking for)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

By no means am I saying that piracy is the only reason for jailbreaking a phone. I'm just saying that it is one side effect. Yes, there are things that would be nice, but really, from all I've seen so far from WP8, I'm not very confident that there will be a jailbreak for a Lumia. If there is, great, but I see it as a pretty slim possibility. But by no means am I saying that it won't happen.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

While jail breaking would almost certainly facilitate piracy, piracy isn't the only motivation for jail breaking.

"Would almost" isn't even it. Jail breaking is the number one gateway to piracy on phones and tablets and jail breaking is the principal reason why its done. No ifs or buts. It is the principal reason why android is as popular as it is and why google only speaks of activations where other platforms push what is actually sold. They know whats up but that's another post.

There are entire websites devoted to pirated apps based in part on the work of XDA and others. While you might want to tweak an icon, the majority that do it could care less about an icon. They want to get free access to a developers work.
Just read the comments surrounding the latest jail break on IOS and how this particular jail break Evasi0n was FUNDED to the tune of 1 million plus bucks by a Chinese piracy website. Make no mistake, there isn't the philanthropic motivation to open up Windows Phone you might suggest. The greater motivation is to pirate apps.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site

I think this thread has run its course. This pretty much sums it up.

Would a root unlock effect piracy? - yes

Would it dramatically effect developers? -no (the WP community is very small...the WP enthusiast/hacking community is even smaller. In addition, unlike WP7, all XAPs are encrypted now in the marketplace. It makes it a little more difficult for piracy...also some have to be modified before they can be used on other OEM phones.

Would a root unlock give the users more functionality and features in this very minimalistic OS? -yes

But.....

Anyway...this "jailbreak" video screams jtag all over it.

Last edited:

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

"Would almost" isn't even it. Jail breaking is the number one gateway to piracy on phones and tablets and jail breaking is the principal reason why its done. No ifs or buts. It is the principal reason why android is as popular as it is and why google only speaks of activations where other platforms push what is actually sold. They know whats up but that's another post.

There are entire websites devoted to pirated apps based in part on the work of XDA and others. While you might want to tweak an icon, the majority that do it could care less about an icon. They want to get free access to a developers work.
Just read the comments surrounding the latest jail break on IOS and how this particular jail break Evasi0n was FUNDED to the tune of 1 million plus bucks by a Chinese piracy website. Make no mistake, there isn't the philanthropic motivation to open up Windows Phone you might suggest. The greater motivation is to pirate apps.

You're right, but look at the other side: jailbreaking made extremely awesome tweaks possible on iOS. And there's another difference to windows phone, on iOS, there's no free way to pirate apps/games without a jailbreak, on windows phone there are (I won't respond to ANY question concerning this), so the people who don't pay for apps don't have any advantage of an unlock/jailbreak/whatever. So, it would obviously make the OS more attractive - just simple things like custom live tile colors or font changing make a big difference.. btw, can anyone watch this video? Chinese servers seem to hate me.. with a 50k connection I haven't got past 3 seconds with half an hour of loading. can anyone download it and upload it to youtube or something similar? I can even stream 4K video flawlessly and this video won't load -.-

rculver9056

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised no one has said that developers don't lose money to justify piracy like they do to justify music and movie piracy.

I used to download applications years ago so that I could try them without limitations, but stopped because of malware and crap.
And I bought all the ones I used most. 😋

nithin r

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

Well this may be a dumb question...what does jailbreaking really means??

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Well this may be a dumb question...what does jailbreaking really means??

it just means that you can install various of applications on your phone without the authority of the OEM or Software maker.

P.S. All I want from this is the option for the 3 column row thing, I'm heavily invested in WP and it's developers.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

it just means that you can install various of applications on your phone without the authority of the OEM or Software maker.

P.S. All I want from this is the option for the 3 column row thing, I'm heavily invested in WP and it's developers.

Gyal, you are so dedicated! So much props to you! I just want my backgrounds, and other than that I'll support my Devs too!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

This! If i don't like the current (or crippled ) version of an app, i roll back to the one i prefer. I can email myself the app, or back it up wherever, and then reinstall it at a later date, on any device just like it is today. Nothing is stolen, no one cheated.

Piracy is not the issue of stealing money from developers. Piracy will (like the process or not ) make the platform more relevant. No possibility of piracy, no relevance. More piracy, more relevance, and the platform will attract more users, more hackers, more developers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb