Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
you'll never find your gold on a sandy beach,
you'll never drill for oil on a city street,
I know you're looking for a ruby in a mountain of rocks,
but there ain't no Coupe de Ville hidin' at the bottom of Cracker Jack box.
-Meatloaf: "Two out of Three ain't Bad"

Well, the "Great Upgrade debates" of 2013 is over at the Snowmutt household, and I did not do too bad. Outside of one stubburn, stiff necked, unable to see the wisedom of WP person (hereby refered to as "The Wife"), the Mutt residence will be a mostly WP user base.

My daughter was just blown away by the camera of the L1020. She was amazed by the details of the floor model that had been obviously used mindlessly and is pumped by what she will be able to do with a near "point and shoot" capable photo generator in her pocket at all times. She loves "artsy" stuff- and had a fun hobbie with black and white pictures for a while and is sold on being able to take that back up since she does not have as much time to do charcoal paintings right now. As a side note: I am worried of who her actual father is, because I can't draw a stick figure.

She is a little leary of WP. She was up between this and the GS4. In the end, she was happy to take a flier on the Nokia over the Samsung. She also loved the idea of a yellow phone, and really having something different from her friends is kind of appealing to her.

Win: WP.

My son was an easy sell. He hates tinkering with his phones. He wanted something simple, and also did not want us to spend a ton of money on his upgrade as he is getting ready to go in the military and felt it wasn't really that important. He wanted three things: More memory, a decent shooter, and a bright screen. He played with the L920 once, asked if he could get it in red and if it was still a good phone. 32 GB memory, excellent camera without a ton of set up needed, simple OS and he LOVED the screen. 1 red L920 sold.

Then, came "My Wife". She really, really REALLY loves the Phablet craze (yeah, I hate that word). She had both a HTC Titan 1 and 2, arguably the 2 worst WP7s there were, but she was open to the idea of the L1520 and it's mammoth 6" screen. She liked the resizable tiles, the third row of them, and the colors.

BUT.....

-No credit card reader for her little craft business she runs (she uses the PayPal one).
-She just does not like Bing that much.
-She loves Samsung, and her Note 1 has been her favorite device ever.
-She likes the swype keyboard way better then the keyboard in WP.
-She has enjoyed Android.

So, I am losing the fish on this line. I can't promise her any of the things she really likes about Android, and WP left a bad taste in her mouth with HTC's poor efforts on the Titan series. Like the song says:

"I'll never be able to give you something, something I just haven't got!!"

And WP does not have her stuff.

Win: Android.

Oh well. That is 2 of the three possible sells. WP still has Mr Mutt as well, so make it 3 of 4.

75%.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am sure, Laura. She trusts me and knows I love me some WP, so she is very open minded to it.

But, she just prefers Android right now.

Wow. Hurt to type those words. What a fan boy I have become.

:grincry:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Just think, a 750 batting average would earn you a ton of money. I think wives are sometimes contrary just to be so. LOL

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Your wife is like mine. If I threaten to take her Moto X away, she says "Out of my cold, dead hands!"

However, I currently use Android as well as my daily driver, although I have 2 WP devices and carry one of them alongside the Android. We do have valid reasons for Android. My wife's main reason is that she uses hers heavily for Facebook. She is currently nursing a baby and it's handier to use her phone than a laptop. The FB experience on WP leaves a lot to be desired. I use Google+ a lot. Until Google gets apps on WP, we're going to have to stay put.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
My wife had an iPhone 4 that she was using and it was time for a new phone. It just happened to be her birthday so I surprised her with a Lumia 820. At first she didn't know what to make of it and asked if I could exchange it for an iPhone 5. I told her to give it a few days. It's been over 6 months and now she says she would never go back to an iPhone!

My kids are too young for phones but I just recently bought them Surface tablets during black Friday and my next purchase is a XB1.

Now that I think of it, I kind of forced my family onto Windows.... does that make me a bad person??

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have almost the same "grand experiment" going on in my house.

Hey, let us know how you do. It is kind of an interesting topic: Can those of us on WPC sell WP to our closest friends and our families? Should we even try?

I would have never forced them off Android or iOS if that is where they wanted to go. But, I sure encouraged. :wink:

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey, let us know how you do. It is kind of an interesting topic: Can those of us on WPC sell WP to our closest friends and our families? Should we even try?

I would have never forced them off Android or iOS if that is where they wanted to go. But, I sure encouraged. :wink:

sure, I can keep people updated if they like. I'm currently running almost a complete set of all three ecosystems, Apple, Microsoft, and Google

For my Microsoft stuff I have the following;

Homebuilt PC running Windows 8.1 with the media center pack that serves as my whole home with TV, DVR, Music, and Photos in one interface
2 xbox 360's that function as gaming (20%) and media center extenders (80%)
3 Windows phones (lumia 920, 520, and an old LG Optimus on 7.8)
1 Dell Venue 8 pro

For my Google stuff I have a Nexus 5, and a Nexus 7 (2013), and some sort of 3 year old android my stepfather refuses to give up

For my Apple I have an ipad 4, an first gen ipad mini, 4 iphones(two iPhone 4, and two iPhone 5) and two apple TV's that sit right next to my Xboxes

I do use iTunes (with iTunes match), Media center, and Xbox Music on my PC.

I'm pretty much considered the "IT guy" for my family so I get to play with a lot of different stuff.

The whole goal was to have everything just kind of laying around and after a few months see what I was reaching for first and see what was just more natural to use over the next year.

I will gladly make a new thread up with what I think about everything if anyone is interested.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
.........The whole goal was to have everything just kind of laying around and after a few months see what I was reaching for first and see what was just more natural to use over the next year.

I will gladly make a new thread up with what I think about everything if anyone is interested.

I certainly would!! These are among my favorite subjects. It really makes me feel a little more in tune to the weaknesses and strengths of the ecosystems to hear why someone did or did not go with certain devices or systems.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

As enthusiasts, we're always trying to evangelize - nothing wrong with that. But to try and convince a wife to let go of her "binky" (whatever it may be) is a dicey situation. I cheated. My wife was stubbornly attached to her webOS Pre2 and wouldn't hear of switching to anything. When the certificate expiration issue hit in July, I neglected to tell her there was a fix. She's very happy with her Trophy and I've seen her paw prints on my Titan lately. I foresee a Lumia 822 in her immediate future.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
So far I am at 100% in my house lol, working at converting the extended family now. My daughter is still too young to get her own phone, but she does want one. I have my 920, Talked my wife into a 520 until her contract is up and she can get one of the more future models (she herself has talked several co-workers into buying into WP) My sister in law is tired of IOS, and is going to look at WP, My dad who was a programmer until he retired last year has been toying with the idea of developing for WP. (I will convert him yet) My older brother and younger brother are too sold in their IOS ways, so I wont even try with them.

been a good WP year in our family.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire