New Startup aims to bring android apps to windows phone.

mrappbrain

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I found a new startup aiming to emulate the android runtime and bring android apps to windows phone. Take a look here:Survey : Run Android apps on Windows Phone

Personally, i wouldn't want or use such a thing. I am happy with the app store as is. However, this could relieve some people who are missing some apps.

Thoughts?

By the way, i am in no way affiliated with the above startup.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
After already experiencing Android on the Blackberry Playbook, I'm both curious how this solution will work and not too excited about results.

Cloud solution sounds interesting though...

What are the chances Microsoft actually approves this App??

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Would be nice as a stopgap solution but definitely not for long term use. At least I'd be able to use epocrates and other medical apps.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
For many developers, if they could cover WP simply by writing the Android apps that they already are developing, they will not write dedicated WP apps because the effort would have an even lower yield (the subset of WP users who demand that the app look native rather than simply that the app be available). As such, a tool like the startup is creating would bring harm to WP as a third platform, turning it into a moon to Android's planet.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
True that could happen but only if its a free service and not a paid subscription one like they plan. I think devs will continue to build native apps as WP grows.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This is a very bad idea, not just from the perspective that manicottiK states but I also feel this will make developers lazy. I want developers to do their jobs properly and create native versions of their apps on Windows Phone instead.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
For many developers, if they could cover WP simply by writing the Android apps that they already are developing, they will not write dedicated WP apps because the effort would have an even lower yield (the subset of WP users who demand that the app look native rather than simply that the app be available). As such, a tool like the startup is creating would bring harm to WP as a third platform, turning it into a moon to Android's planet.

That made me change my mind, I agree, this is not good

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
True that could happen but only if its a free service and not a paid subscription one like they plan. I think devs will continue to build native apps as WP grows.
Oh, so you're saying that reading the page linked to in the OP's message can convey additional information? :wink:

Well, having now read the page, I agree with you that it sounds like this proposal is not a threat to native development since what's planned sounds is a network-based, monthly subscription service. (It sounds akin to a remote access technology where the remote machine is an Android VM running on a computer so that the providers can run multiple "phones" per server.)

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
An emulator like Blue Stacks? That was a total bust if you've ever tried it. The graphic on that link the OP posted is some kind of ironic. The images that are visible we don't need an emulator for. We already have them. :)

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
What's the legality of them getting paid monthly to allow us to use other developers software??
Well, this is all speculation, but let's imagine that it works like this: you "rent" a virtual Android phone that runs on a server owned/managed by Company A. Company A also makes -- and you buy -- a Windows Phone app that lets you see the virtual display of the virtual Android phone and passes touch events from your WP to the virtual Android phone.

That scenario would provide Company A with two sources of income: your one-time payment for the WP app and your monthly payments for the server and network bandwidth that they're using to run the virtual Android emulator for you. The first payment would cover their development costs for the app while the second covered the server costs. Once set up, you'd use the emulator to create a Google Play account then buy apps that you'd run from the emulator. The developers of those apps would still be getting paid as normal because you'd be just another customer buying their apps.

Note: I know nothing about their plans other than what they wrote at that page, which described a monthly fee. I am guessing that they'd provide this service via a VM, but I don't know.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
this is similar to what BB10 tried to do and look where it got Blackberry (near bankruptcy)
No, I will not use streamed app nor pay for them.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
And there are even bigger problems, Bluestacks and BB emulate the Android environment ON the device. This "idea" would just act as a screen, the servers would do the processing. It doesn't burn your data in minutes, it's guaranteed to lag like hell there's no real way it could be usable.. Did you ever use Parallels or something like that on 2 pc's and share the screen? it takes seconds to see the changes on your own screen, even in a local network.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Not a fan of it in any iteration. This comes from someone who really appreciates BB10.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think the BB10 Android runtime did/is doing more harm to the platform than good in the long run. On the other hand, options are good, and if MSFT does not stop the good things it is doing to attract developers, this would just be another option.

The purist in me would not like it to happen. It might be myopic on my part, but I really like independent mobile platforms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon