The most annoying thing about Windows phone....

Status
Not open for further replies.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Is the annoying "Rate my app" alerts. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind getting the alerts when I first install an app

But why is it sporadically when i open an app that I have already reviewed, i get the "Rate my app" notification and then when i click it to rate, I discover i already did it.
This happens with several apps. Is there something i am missing on why it keeps asking me to rate apps i've already rated/reviewed?

Of course, if this is the most annoying thing about windows phone, then you can tell I am mostly happy :D

NO! The most annoying thing is the volume for EVERYTHING. I don't want to constantly change my volume

tsnatcher

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree with the volume control as most annoying. I like my ring volume med-low, but alarm load, and rest vary. I also can't stand the fact that I can't empty my junk mail box, although for some reason I think I am the only one with that problem since everyone else gets a "empty folder option" and I do not.

pveezy

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have Android right now and I get random messages (which sound exactly like text messages making it even more annoying) to tell me I haven't used apps in a while, there are new apps in the store, blah blah blah.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The whole "rate my app" prompt is one of several reasons I stopped using my iPad in favor of my Surface. So annoying. I actually don't have much of that on my WP.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree about the App rating thing, however for me it's trumped by the lock screen and/or the playback controls disappearing after only a few seconds.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the App rating thing, however for me it's trumped by the lock screen and/or the playback controls disappearing after only a few seconds.

This. The music controls should stay up when media is being played. It was like that in WP7.

Now what I do is hold my thumb to the right of the media controls when they pop down. Then the controls will stay there as long as you hold it.

MS should add the option to swipe down to dock the controls. Or something like that.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Change lock screen to 5 minutes. If it disappears after a few seconds you must have it set at 30 seconds.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't usually get the app rating thing, but one app I have and use regularly (Lists & Things Free) shows a message at the top of the page asking me to click here to support the developer or whatnot. It pops up pretty frequently, like every month or so. That's annoying.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had this issue but Temple Run 2 is currently glitches resulting in it asking you over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over!

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Change lock screen to 5 minutes. If it disappears after a few seconds you must have it set at 30 seconds.

Well yes, there is a '5 minute' timeout option under Lock Screen settings, but this refers to the main display.

Unless i'm missing something it doesn't affect the Lock Screen itself, it certainly doesn't on mine.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Have to agree with the volume control as most annoying. I like my ring volume med-low, but alarm load, and rest vary. I also can't stand the fact that I can't empty my junk mail box, although for some reason I think I am the only one with that problem since everyone else gets a "empty folder option" and I do not.

That's very odd... Even when my volume is on silent my alarm always blast at max volume, is it only me? And I hate that their is a limit of mail held in the mail app, but we can't change the amount like windows 8 and it keeps so little mail.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Back to the OP, let me try to explain it. One reason that there may have been an increase in the "rate my app" prompts lately is that DVLUP had a challenge relating to it. DVLUP is a kind of gamification of development, brought to us by Nokia, where developers can earn points for completing challenges, and use those points toward merchandise. Personally, I've gotten two free phones already, and have enough points for another 822 right now, but I'm letting them add up - maybe one day I'll have enough points for a Surface Pro 2. Probably about the time that the Surface Pro 8 is out. :wink:

Anyway, DVLUP had this challenge (maybe they still do - I haven't looked lately). So probably a lot of devs have added code to prompt you for a rating. Now if you rated the app already and then they added this code, there's no way for the app to know that you rated the app. Likewise, if you uninstall and reinstall an app, your previous rating is still there, but the app doesn't know it.

One of the parts of the challenge is that once a person rates an app, or clicks cancel or whatever, that it won't prompt anymore. Maybe there's allowance for a remind me later button, but I haven't read the requirements for that challenge.

Hope this helps.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
That's very odd... Even when my volume is on silent my alarm always blast at max volume, is it only me? And I hate that their is a limit of mail held in the mail app, but we can't change the amount like windows 8 and it keeps so little mail.

You can change how far back your email syncs in the sync settings for the email account. You can even have it sync everything, if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss