HERE Maps Vs Google Maps Vs Apple Maps (Voice Turn-by-turn)

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Finding POI's can be done with any search engine and i already stated LONG time ago that google is better at that because at heart they are a search engine provider nokia/navteq is not. If you dont use maps to drive then i dont know why your even commenting, 90% of people use them for driving very few look into google maps just to find something to eat most use a search engine once they find the address THEN they use maps. And i would have to check on pakistan, navteq has no presence in japan so google wins there. I dont know anythign about inda what i'm saying is if you knew anything about navteq and its clearly stated on wikipedia and other places, google maps api is free, navteq is used by 85% of auto makers, and they pay handsomely for it, do you really think google being free woudlnt be a better choice if it was better? Navteq is known for being more accurate. If they dont have a presence in one country doesnt mean that overall their service is worse than googles. Like the other guy said yes certain areas google is better, its like cell service, but the question of who has moe data and who is bigger is navteq and its not up for debate its a fact. And i misquoted 250, as of a year or 2 ago navteq had 60 more countries than google, google has closed this gap to around 10, but adding 50 countries in 2 years you dont think there is going to be mistakes? navteq has a 20 year lead......

Sorry, I just keep seeing inaccurate statements and excuses.

For one, *lots* of people use Maps to find places to go and things to do, you would want to factor distance from your current location into such a decision. Again, I guess if you were in the US you would more than likely have a car so that may not be such a big factor, but in central London or other dense areas it's important.

Secondly, what gave you the idea that Google Maps is free? It's free for consumers, just like Here is free for you and me. They do charge enterprise users, among a few of which are the USAF Weather Agency, Department of Homeland Security, US Forest Service, Audi, DHL, Swiss Railways and the government of Washington DC. Pretty big companies, and I guess that if Google is preferred by the Air Force, DHL and such, it's pretty good.

I still haven't seen a link to a source calling out the exact countries these services cover...

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Wow in denial, I'm yeah actually I left Wikipedia links where it actually states in Wikipedia that google doesn't route correctly with overlapping zip codes, HERES on website which is very easy to find states they are in EVERY country and the largest as in #1. Yes those are some pretty big companies and I would have to check for accuracy to that statement, pretty sure audi just started using google like months ago. And that is a small list compared to navteqs. And I wouldn't say its preferred by all those government agencies cause obviously you get one government contract your going to get them all, you just listed different depts. In the government this is just one contract for several dept. So you listed like 4 different things for one contract. And no actually you are incorrect saying people search things in maps cause that would be dumb as its not as accurate. If you own a windows phone and hit search to bring up Bing you type in the business,restaurant whatever name and then click local and it shows how far away it is, then you click drive and it opens up Nokia here maps. Searching from within the maps is not as accurate because it does not have an entire search database behind it only entered POI's which as you know can be inaccurate or missing data. And its actually easier to hit the search button than to go into the app and fiddle with it to get to the search its one button, type the name, click drive. That's 3 steps to navigating with most accurate maps in the world. In fact Nokia gave a comparison to google maps on Facebook months ago showing how much more data they had lol this isn't an opinion don't know how much more I can state it, I can find it for you if you aren't able to "google" it.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Wow in denial, I'm yeah actually I left Wikipedia links where it actually states in Wikipedia that google doesn't route correctly with overlapping zip codes, HERES on website which is very easy to find states they are in EVERY country and the largest as in #1. Yes those are some pretty big companies and I would have to check for accuracy to that statement, pretty sure audi just started using google like months ago. And that is a small list compared to navteqs. And I wouldn't say its preferred by all those government agencies cause obviously you get one government contract your going to get them all, you just listed different depts. In the government this is just one contract for several dept. So you listed like 4 different things for one contract. And no actually you are incorrect saying people search things in maps cause that would be dumb as its not as accurate. If you own a windows phone and hit search to bring up Bing you type in the business,restaurant whatever name and then click local and it shows how far away it is, then you click drive and it opens up Nokia here maps. Searching from within the maps is not as accurate because it does not have an entire search database behind it only entered POI's which as you know can be inaccurate or missing data. And its actually easier to hit the search button than to go into the app and fiddle with it to get to the search its one button, type the name, click drive. That's 3 steps to navigating with most accurate maps in the world. In fact Nokia gave a comparison to google maps on Facebook months ago showing how much more data they had lol this isn't an opinion don't know how much more I can state it, I can find it for you if you aren't able to "google" it.

Everything you state is an opinion until you back it up with fact; repeatedly saying "lol" does not change that. And posting problems from like 2008 isn't really relevant.

You can check the accuracy in the link in my post. It's just a selection of clients. And no, the US Government issues separate tenders for separate departments; e.g. the GAO uses Google Apps while the rest of the govt uses others, Exchange and the like. So that part is untrue as well.

That method of searching works if you know exactly where you want to go. If you want to look at a map with your position marked and see restaurants around you (which is what people who don't use cars do), that is better in a maps app than searching.

And according to the picture you put up, Here offers navigation in 94 countries while Google Maps offers 187 countries, which is pretty close to the total number of countries navteq just has data for: Google Maps now covers 75% of global pop, 26 million miles of directions | ZDNet

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
HERE map all the times :3 It's better in the country where I'm living in, so it's the best for me right now :)) Don't care the rest.
Oh, and the voice turn by turn is excellent as well :3

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
.... And no actually you are incorrect saying people search things in maps cause that would be dumb as its not as accurate. If you own a windows phone and hit search to bring up Bing you type in the business,restaurant whatever name and then click local and it shows how far away it is, then you click drive and it opens up Nokia here maps. .....

... Searching from within the maps is not as accurate because it does not have an entire search database behind it ...
And its actually easier to hit the search button than to go into the app and fiddle with it to get to the search its one button, type the name, click drive. That's 3 steps to navigating with most accurate maps in the world. In fact Nokia gave a comparison to google maps on Facebook months ago showing how much more data they had lol this isn't an opinion don't know how much more I can state it, I can find it for you if you aren't able to "google" it.

I don't use Facebook, is there a non Facebook link to the comparison you mentioned?

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Nowhere in that article you posted does it say it offers navigation, the picture i posted says 196 with 96 navigation, google cant even navigate without a cell signal, so you telling me google has navigation in 187 countries where like 50 of them 50% of the country doesnt have cell service? Google has to have a data connection one way or the other, 2 years ago google only covered 39 countries thats a fact. So yeah they caught up to navteq in 2 years. Dont be ridiculous. Did navteq just stop collecting data for 2 years while google could catch up for the past 20 years of collection? The 96 countries is voice navigation the rest i believe you can still navigate doesnt support voice which raisses all time i have another chart from 2 years ago showing google only covered 39 countries i didnt post cause its out of date. Yes i do believe google is sitting around 187, they might have navigation in all those if you have a satellite connection, but you can see how that having navigation in foreign countries and 3rd world would be a problem when data is scarce or not even available, they have maps in less countries period you just said it, we dont know how many they have navigation is because their setup is not as good as nokias. Some areas google is better, being better in london like your talking about i HIGHLY doubt it pretty sure nokia has 3d maps of that country and the only thing google does better is POI, having better POI to me does not translate to better maps just better references to businesses. This is EASILY fixed by using a 3rd party app like around me, to search for stuff, and nokias POIs improve every year like everyone elses but they have picked up the pace i woudlnt be surprised if they have comparable POI in 2 years, wrong or missing maps is not acceptable to be as i have to find addresses in the US for work. Nokia does it better at least here. And last i checked did it in more countries than google. YOu said nobody drives over there anyway so why does it matter if they have navigation since you say you dont need it.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh and separate tenders who cares? That doesnt mean anything its a complete coincidence that 4 agencies all use the same maps. Cmon dude just because its separate tenders doesnt mean google didnt say well if you have more DEPTs use it we will give a discount most likely google is cheaper than navteq which is they want cheaper. Nobody says google sucks its just not as good as here. My car has navteq and its a pretty expensive car i would assume they dont like putting inferior maps in high end cars so they stay away from google. Along with 4/5 car makers feel the same way. And they have no ties to any other makers, half of them are in different countries. Navteq supplies for toyota one of the biggest volume makers in the world and navteq doesnt even ahve good maps in japan where toyota is based. So that means navteq is so good everywhere toyota still puts those maps in their cars despite having hardly any maps in japan. Why wouldnt they just use google who has tons of maps in japan? Its not because nokia has more pull they have no money next to google.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=6258+MAPLE+GLEN+DR,+GAHANNA,+OH&iwloc=A&hl=en

Here you go for the nay sayers, i put this address in google today and click the address and look at the one in the link then look at what comes up and address about 20 miles from the actual location of what i'm looking for with a different name, of course you cant tell where the original is because google doesnt have it, not only that but the address has been there for years, wanna know why it doesnt have it? because google doesnt handle zipcodes properly like it states in wikipedia and this address happens to be sitting on a zipcode border and no it doesnt recognize the address if you enter the neighboring zipcode either. But guess what pulls it up instantly is nokia maps. Nokia maps does list it as a columbus address but i tired entering it as columbus too in google and no good. The addresss is actually gahanna but it borders columbus so nokia lists it as columbus but it is on the map and i can get directions to it, which is more than i can say for google. This same exact situation happens to me all the time with google i mean constantly. So there is your proof stop trying to say i make stuff up and its an opinion i drive for a living and google messes up constantly when i'm trying to work that isnt an opinion thats a fact. and usually when it does 9/10 nokia has the address so that makes me think nokia is more accurate but make your own conclusions.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There are only two map data providers (who provide base map data without the POI,street view, satellite views): NavTeq and Tele Atlas. Nokia owns NavTeq and TomTom owns Tele Atlas. Everyone lese licenses from either or both of them including Google. In general, NavTeq works better in North America and Tele Atlas works better in Europe.

Arguing which map is more accurate is just na?ve. They all use the same basic map data in most cases. The differences is the add on and search capabilities and bells and whistles. With the recent changes to Google Nav or lack there of (no more separate Nav app for Android), Google Maps are increasing difficult to use.

Apple uses Tele Atlas maps.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
foxbat that's somewhat incorrect and you should probably research more before stating blanket statements like that, the fact that google maps doesn't have the same address as Nokia maps and I provided a link proving it means google maps doesn't use the same data, there is actually 3 or 4 providers and google does their own updating and has HUGE assets dedicated to map updating and that's not including streetview. Google is its own beast and navteq (owned by Nokia) don't really know why your separating those 2 as Nokia owns the entire company does not license it to google. Yes Tele atlas may the other major player but google as a whole has much much more data than Tele atlas and maybe they are better in Europe cause they are European company but Tele atlas presence in general is crap compared to google or Nokia either one. So not here is not only 2 no they google and Nokia which is what this discussion is about is not the same. And I don't even think Tele atlas should be in the same sentence as those 2. And I do believe there are 2 other smaller ones. There are a lot of mapping companies that used to use data from local governments here in the US and have very outdated data but they add to that. All these companies are constantly updating but navteq/nokia licensing to google it the biggest joke I've heard in awhile. The fact that apple used to use google maps but not Nokia previously should tell you that are not the same now apple has switched cause they don't wanna pay google and they are trying to choke out android. But google maps are vastly VASTLY better than Tele atlas in every country not just America. And so are Nokia. So please. Some are much much more accurate than others.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
And by accurate I mean updated more quickly than others. As in most the streets are in the correct spot, but Google's algorithm in general sucks for bordering zipcodes, which is completely done by Nokia has nothing to do with base licensing. And is only available through their mapping. So even if google licensed it doesn't mean they update it. But they don't so that's a moot point.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
According to my Nexus 5 Google Maps app and desktop Google Map, it licenses TomTom map data. In the past, Google have used NavTeq map data on desktop version.

Of course, Google has built a lot of features and map correction on top of the base map data. But they are still using other providers, not their own.

Google maps offer more features and better search. Here map search leaves me a lot to be desired unless you know exact address. Both have wrong information from time to time and left me stranded in an unfamiliar place couple times. When I bought a newly built house last year, HERE map showed the new address before Google Maps did but both have the wrong position :)

I will use Google Maps when I'm using my Android phone. I will use HERE map when I'm using my Windows Phone. And when I travel overseas, I will bring my Nokia phone because of the offline mapping and navigation capabilities.

Arguing which one is better is just na?ve and ridiculous because you hardly have alternative options in different platforms.

Zaki Smile

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
The map data is good but I'm missing som features one thing is that you can't set the walking speed in maps which you can do in Here Transit.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
foxbat that is because navteq used to be independent of nokia, nokia bought them several years ago, that's why google maps were more accurate back in the day and then took a hit in accuracy when nokia pulled the license from google, then google started making their own shortly after that transaction a lot of hands have changed with that, but basically google has no attachments to navteq anymore which is the leader. that being said I have no idea what you mean by tomtom, I don't think tomtom owns tele atlas I believe tele atlas own tomtom think you have backwards, and google may license from them but they also have their google in general much bigger than tele atlas. Also that isn't true about choice nokia was making here maps for android and iphone and just recently pulled iphone cause of issues with quality of use. on android you have literally unlimited choices and a lot of the choices use navteq instead of tele atlas or another and have better accuracy so you do have a choice, I don't think here maps is that great on other platforms so I wouldn't recommend, before nokia switched to windows they had more features than google by far it just hasn't caught up on the new platform they add new features every year just slowly switching everything to windows. google has a big a few years lead on their app. But if you have android there is probably 50 different apps that use navteq instead of google maps and are probably more accurate. That's my only argument saying google maps Is more accurate is not true, but they are both very close. I don't believe tele atlas is even slightly accurate I have friends with iphones that plain out give wrong directions on a daily basis its almost unusable and I'm not kidding. google and nokia give the most accurate maps period.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Read it here yourself: Tele Atlas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the topic here is referring to free versions of the map/nav apps. There are plenty of paid navigation apps on all platforms but their user base is pretty small. Almost all of the maps/nav apps need to license map data from either of the two guys and license fee are hefty. That's why those 3rd party apps are typically sold at pretty high prices.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok so TomTom bought them in the last few years, but this says the exact opposite of what you said earlier you said google licensed from navteq which they don't, and navteq is a lot more accurate than Tele atlas especially in the united states where google is based. So its seems dumb for google to license from company that has crappy accuracy in the US but google does add a lot to whatever Tele atlas already has and that's regular maps also because Tele atlas doesn't keep up in the united states I would go as far to say as google proves 80% of the maps in the US compared to 20% Tele atlas is giving them they are only licensing from Tele atlas because of overseas maps. We already had the discussion that google actually licenses there maps out just like Tele atlas, so your telling me google is allowed to license out Tele atlas without their permission your being na?ve now, google maps just as much as maps as Tele atlas if not more they just combine their resources to make ALOT better maps to say google receives their entire base from Tele atlas is dumb considering how large google is. Have you ever looked at google maps in Wikipedia? They say Tele atlas has dozens of vans i'm pretty sure google has 3 times that many of their own. IF google gets where they want they may stop licensing from Tele atlas all together, the other people that actually use JUST Tele atlas without their own stuff is apple, and everybody knows how much night and day difference there is between google and apple maps and even Nokia. The paid ones mostly use navteq because navteq is better. A lot use Tele atlas most of them are not from the US, they would be better off to license from google in the US because Tele atlas sucks here. So your right about TomTom owning them but first you said google licensed from navteq now its Tele atlas which is true but means absolutely nothing.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
sean - thanks for finally posting an address that is a problem.

i tried in google maps, openstreetmaps, nokia maps, and a few others. the only positive looking hit i got was a newer construction on a cul de sac in the middle of a golf course. is this correct ?

mapping applications that hit:
google maps
sygic
oruxmaps (not sure what provider it's using)

the others showed alternate addresses with quite a bit of distance in variance. i'd rather not get into a pissing match, or lengthy argument, just trying to vet out which one works best for myself.

thanks !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss