01-04-2014 09:52 AM
68 123
tools
    As of right now, it looks horrendous. If I could play with a rough demo to see how it works, that'd be great. However, Microsoft has been very heavily pushing Metro, to abandon it entirely for something that disgusts even us Microsoft loyal would just be suicide.

Please Microsoft, perfect Metro rather than just jumping ship for something new and ugly.

Again, if I could see it action, maybe my stance would change. But for now, I think Microsoft's energy is better focused on perfecting Metro.
    01-01-2014 07:45 PM
    As of right now, it looks horrendous. If I could play with a rough demo to see how it works, that'd be great. However, Microsoft has been very heavily pushing Metro, to abandon it entirely for something that disgusts even us Microsoft loyal would just be suicide.

Please Microsoft, perfect Metro rather than just jumping ship for something new and ugly.

Again, if I could see it action, maybe my stance would change. But for now, I think Microsoft's energy is better focused on perfecting Metro.
    no need to get upset. Microsoft like any other company will get patents on anything they do, now if they use it or not they still have the patent. They hold soooo many patents over the companies life time that have NEVER been used. I will not place any emotion in this unless it comes to fruition
    01-01-2014 08:20 PM
    You know, perhaps the purpose of the cubes is not to be a cube....perhaps its just a way to easily add more information to the tiles than they have now, since the tiles are only front/back. Imagine a cube unfolded.

So technically you'll still have a flat face, but now the tiles can flip sideways to reveal different information and up/down for different information. If a live tile is currently a rectangle that is divided into two squares (one is the front, the other is the back) that only flips between front and back, then the cube would be 3x3 tiles in a cross shape that has the main face in the middle, and 4 other faces (up, down, left, right) to flip between. don't really know how that'll work though....could get messy.
    01-01-2014 09:29 PM
    It'd be neat if they worked like app folders, music apps in one cube, video in another etc. with the rest of the tiles remaining as tiles, like the folders in iOS, but without infringing on apple patents.
    01-01-2014 10:29 PM
    If this does what I am seeing this will be brilliant! I used to be an Iphone user and you could group certain apps together lets say a group that you used the most or similar. Now when you group a bunch of apps in a rotating cube that you touch once to expand it and then rotate to the app you want to use, you could potentially have all your apps in the tiles screen and organized into an easier format. Have a cube that is for settings, once for production tools like calculater, wi-fi, bluetooth, and so on. Not sure why anyone would not want this?!? A cube that has all your camera apps together and maybe morph them together for easier interface. You know people once thought the earth was flat and fought for that ignorance because of the fact that they were afraid of change, and yet others found that because it was round they explored and opened up an amazing future that we all are now part of! Instead of thinking about how something is bad or cannot work think instead of how it CAN work and make things better. This my friends is an amazing idea if executed properly.
    01-02-2014 06:32 AM
    I would rather see them perfect the beautiful Flat tiles in WP8 --- Add folders -- Set it up more like Windows RT where we scroll to left and right --- scroll up for all apps-- better voice commands

Keep it simple--- Keep it clean-- The more you add the more likely we end up with a "touchwiz" situation....Lots of features, but no matter what specs you throw at it ...st-st-st-stutters

Please leave the Metro look, it is the 1st reason I made the switch to WP8 from Android and iOS...
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-02-2014 07:51 AM
    That would be cool! But I hope Windows Phone will not loose it's simplicity.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-02-2014 08:10 AM
    To all the people who dislike this concept. What if Microsoft added an on and off function. There you go problem solved. People who want cube turn it on in settings. People who hate cube. Turn it off in settings. BAM EVERYBODY IS HAPPY>!!!!!
    Blu3V3nom07 likes this.
    01-02-2014 08:24 AM
    Its cool function we want it
    01-02-2014 08:27 AM
    This is more than likely a way to accommodate app folders and stay within the modern ui - if its a folder, it becomes a cube, if its not, it stays as a live tile. I think it could look pretty cool - it will not look anything like the horrid patent photo.
    01-02-2014 08:51 AM
    Personally, I don't like them. With that said....
    1) MS may only be seeking this patent to stick in their pocket and collect $$ incase someone else wants to use the patent.
    2) If implemented, it may be optional for the user. Options are good.
    01-02-2014 10:09 AM
    I like it if used as some have mentioned. Tiles look flats but are actually a cube.
    01-02-2014 11:27 AM
    This is more than likely a way to accommodate app folders and stay within the modern ui - if its a folder, it becomes a cube, if its not, it stays as a live tile. I think it could look pretty cool - it will not look anything like the horrid patent photo.
    That would be an interesting way to make folder functionality and I think I would like that a lot.
    01-02-2014 12:27 PM
    This . . . should be on Snopes.
    01-02-2014 02:22 PM
    That looks horrid
    It does, but Microsoft CAN make it nice. :)
    01-02-2014 02:33 PM
    It does, but Microsoft CAN make it nice. :)
    No no one can make something this horrible nice, Burn it please
    01-02-2014 05:46 PM
    Whatever this turns out to be, hopefully the main feel is still WP.
    Last edited by Microsoftjunkie; 01-02-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    01-02-2014 06:09 PM
    Here's what I was thinking of when I thought of Windows Mobile - I had this for my Touch Pro II. Not the same, but the patent filing reminded me of this.
    Boy, that brings back memories! I still think the Touch Pro 2 had the best keyboard I've ever used on a phone. I enjoyed SPB Mobile Shell more on the Windows Mobile platform than I did on Android. The spinning cube got old after a while. Or maybe that was just me getting old...
    01-04-2014 09:52 AM
68 123