WP tiles to become 3D cubes !!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
, aren't the large sized tiles the exact same thing as a widget anyway. Now that I think about it. Tiles are essentially much more attractive versions of widgets with more functionality or potential functionality.

No, not even close. Widgets allow for interacting with the applicable data without opening the app. You can scroll through emails or photo albums directly in the widget. Or you can directly toggle settings such as WiFi, mobile data, screen rotation, bluetooth, and airplane mode without going to their location in the Settings menu.

Last edited:

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you, but Tom Warren did released a YouTube video showing how the old Windows Mobile UI become Windows Phone 8, one of them have a cube spinning.
Watch until the 0:06 mark or just look for the white background.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
As of right now, it looks horrendous. If I could play with a rough demo to see how it works, that'd be great. However, Microsoft has been very heavily pushing Metro, to abandon it entirely for something that disgusts even us Microsoft loyal would just be suicide.

Please Microsoft, perfect Metro rather than just jumping ship for something new and ugly.

Again, if I could see it action, maybe my stance would change. But for now, I think Microsoft's energy is better focused on perfecting Metro.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
As of right now, it looks horrendous. If I could play with a rough demo to see how it works, that'd be great. However, Microsoft has been very heavily pushing Metro, to abandon it entirely for something that disgusts even us Microsoft loyal would just be suicide.

Please Microsoft, perfect Metro rather than just jumping ship for something new and ugly.

Again, if I could see it action, maybe my stance would change. But for now, I think Microsoft's energy is better focused on perfecting Metro.

no need to get upset. Microsoft like any other company will get patents on anything they do, now if they use it or not they still have the patent. They hold soooo many patents over the companies life time that have NEVER been used. I will not place any emotion in this unless it comes to fruition

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You know, perhaps the purpose of the cubes is not to be a cube....perhaps its just a way to easily add more information to the tiles than they have now, since the tiles are only front/back. Imagine a cube unfolded.

So technically you'll still have a flat face, but now the tiles can flip sideways to reveal different information and up/down for different information. If a live tile is currently a rectangle that is divided into two squares (one is the front, the other is the back) that only flips between front and back, then the cube would be 3x3 tiles in a cross shape that has the main face in the middle, and 4 other faces (up, down, left, right) to flip between. don't really know how that'll work though....could get messy.

peepsite

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
It'd be neat if they worked like app folders, music apps in one cube, video in another etc. with the rest of the tiles remaining as tiles, like the folders in iOS, but without infringing on apple patents.

tonymengela

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
If this does what I am seeing this will be brilliant! I used to be an Iphone user and you could group certain apps together lets say a group that you used the most or similar. Now when you group a bunch of apps in a rotating cube that you touch once to expand it and then rotate to the app you want to use, you could potentially have all your apps in the tiles screen and organized into an easier format. Have a cube that is for settings, once for production tools like calculater, wi-fi, bluetooth, and so on. Not sure why anyone would not want this?!? A cube that has all your camera apps together and maybe morph them together for easier interface. You know people once thought the earth was flat and fought for that ignorance because of the fact that they were afraid of change, and yet others found that because it was round they explored and opened up an amazing future that we all are now part of! Instead of thinking about how something is bad or cannot work think instead of how it CAN work and make things better. This my friends is an amazing idea if executed properly.

dnomadic

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I would rather see them perfect the beautiful Flat tiles in WP8 --- Add folders -- Set it up more like Windows RT where we scroll to left and right --- scroll up for all apps-- better voice commands

Keep it simple--- Keep it clean-- The more you add the more likely we end up with a "touchwiz" situation....Lots of features, but no matter what specs you throw at it ...st-st-st-stutters

Please leave the Metro look, it is the 1st reason I made the switch to WP8 from Android and iOS...

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
To all the people who dislike this concept. What if Microsoft added an on and off function. There you go problem solved. People who want cube turn it on in settings. People who hate cube. Turn it off in settings. BAM EVERYBODY IS HAPPY>!!!!!

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This is more than likely a way to accommodate app folders and stay within the modern ui - if its a folder, it becomes a cube, if its not, it stays as a live tile. I think it could look pretty cool - it will not look anything like the horrid patent photo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs