i have over 2gb in my other folder. how do i format this? this other storage is not emails, texts, contacts, or apps+data, because they are listed separately. what i mean is of the 8gb(i know, how can i live with only 8gb internal memory?) on my L810, apps and games take up 3gb, maps take up 205mb, email+messaging take up 115mb, system takes 2.5gb, and temporary files take up 375mb. i should have AT least 1gb free. but instead i have 0 BYTES LEFT! everytime i delete a game, lets say 45mb, i get 45mb free and a few seconds later i have 0 bytes again. i tried deleting temp files, but it never succeeds for some reason. im running dev version of gdr3. shrink storage doesnt work either. i just wanna know where all this memory goes and how can i get it back?
    01-01-2014 08:33 PM
    I just ran right into that issue. My good will is gone. I'm tired of this sh**
    01-01-2014 08:43 PM
    haha, exactly. my next phone will most likely not be an WP
    01-01-2014 09:04 PM
    This is the reason why you should had pick a WP with 16GB internal memory minimum + 64GB SD card... You can't depend in a phone with only 8GB internal without any other expandability resource.
    01-01-2014 09:14 PM
    This is the reason why you should had pick a WP with 16GB internal memory minimum + 64GB SD card... You can't depend in a phone with only 8GB internal without any other expandability resource.
    That's literally only the Samsung Ativ S
    01-01-2014 09:38 PM
    16GB ones have no SD support either save the 1520 ATT variant. Besides, with Nokia flooding the market with 8GB phones, you'd think they'd address this oh-so tiny issue which renders phones unusable.
    Edit-Just had a really long tweet rant at Nokia, Windows Phone and Joe Belfiore
    Hopefully they say something to reassure me. (pigs fly)
    01-01-2014 09:40 PM
    No other choice for me, since im on tmobile. And im pretty sure HTC is even worse.
    01-01-2014 11:41 PM
    i have over 2gb in my other folder. how do i format this? this other storage is not emails, texts, contacts, or apps+data, because they are listed separately. what i mean is of the 8gb(i know, how can i live with only 8gb internal memory?) on my L810, apps and games take up 3gb, maps take up 205mb, email+messaging take up 115mb, system takes 2.5gb, and temporary files take up 375mb. i should have AT least 1gb free. but instead i have 0 BYTES LEFT! everytime i delete a game, lets say 45mb, i get 45mb free and a few seconds later i have 0 bytes again. i tried deleting temp files, but it never succeeds for some reason. im running dev version of gdr3. shrink storage doesnt work either. i just wanna know where all this memory goes and how can i get it back?
    i would suggest subject to delete apps you really don't use or need and if you have a good enough sd card download the beta nokia storage cleaner which lets you store all the maps on your mico sd card that's what i did for my 810 and i got back around 300mb :)
    01-02-2014 12:02 AM
    i would suggest subject to delete apps you really don't use or need and if you have a good enough sd card download the beta nokia storage cleaner which lets you store all the maps on your mico sd card that's what i did for my 810 and i got back around 300mb :)
    where I can find the Nokia storage cleaner? Any link?
    01-02-2014 03:26 AM
    where I can find the Nokia storage cleaner? Any link?
    yeah here it is ....but I think you have to sign up with them to get it https://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/Storage-Check
    maclancer and genuine555 like this.
    01-02-2014 11:27 AM
    16GB ones have no SD support either save the 1520 ATT variant.
    No other choice for me, since im on tmobile. And im pretty sure HTC is even worse.
    And the Lumia 822 - which does not come locked, so it will work on any carrier. My step-daughter is using one on Straight Talk with an ATT SIM.
    01-02-2014 11:47 AM
    And the Lumia 822 - which does not come locked, so it will work on any carrier. My step-daughter is using one on Straight Talk with an ATT SIM.
    Of course. America is the only country in the world guv. Time for my tea and crumpets old chap. In this part of the world, we only have 64GB 1020, 32GB920/925/1020/1520+SD card, 16GB 8X, 925, Ativ +SD card, 8GB 8X, 520, 620, 625, 720, 820. 4GB 8S
    01-02-2014 12:05 PM
    Of course. America is the only country in the world guv. Time for my tea and crumpets old chap. In this part of the world, we only have 64GB 1020, 32GB920/925/1020/1520+SD card, 16GB 8X, 925, Ativ +SD card, 8GB 8X, 520, 620, 625, 720, 820. 4GB 8S
    01-02-2014 12:05 PM
    Wow - a bit too much caffiene in the tea, eh? I don't believe anyone mentioned what part of the world they were from (including yourself - even after your rant), and since people generally answer from their own experience, that's where the answer comes from. There was a statement that only the Ativ S and the 1520 had SD support, which is false. And since someone mentioned TMobile, an American will naturally assume he's talking to an American since TMO is here as well.

The internet has made a really big world small, and often people believe that they're talking to someone nearby, when in fact, as you've demonstrated, it is possible for that person to be on the other side of the planet. Literally.

Step back from the keyboard for a moment, take a deep breath, and realize that people are generally trying to be helpful, not hurtful.
    Last edited by hopmedic; 01-02-2014 at 12:54 PM.
    sahib lopez, tgp and anon(123856) like this.
    01-02-2014 12:14 PM
    so does anyone have a solution or is everyone going to argue about the size of the internal memory?
    01-02-2014 01:06 PM
    Here's something I just thought of - Do you have Here maps downloaded? That can take a huge amount of space. The reason I ask is that the way the ShrinkStorage app works is by filling up the storage, and then deleting. Don't ask me why it works that way, but to my understanding it does. Since you have zero space available, there's nothing for ShrinkStorage to fill. Try deleting the Here maps (or, if you don't have downloaded maps, delete something else that is large like that), and then run ShrinkStorage. It wouldn't hurt to also try the deleting temp files from this point, where maybe the phone needs space to work in order to get the right stuff deleted.

No promises, as I have not been in your shoes, but hopefully it can help. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is a hard reset.
    01-02-2014 01:11 PM
    Here's something I just thought of - Do you have Here maps downloaded? That can take a huge amount of space. The reason I ask is that the way the ShrinkStorage app works is by filling up the storage, and then deleting. Don't ask me why it works that way, but to my understanding it does. Since you have zero space available, there's nothing for ShrinkStorage to fill. Try deleting the Here maps (or, if you don't have downloaded maps, delete something else that is large like that), and then run ShrinkStorage. It wouldn't hurt to also try the deleting temp files from this point, where maybe the phone needs space to work in order to get the right stuff deleted.

No promises, as I have not been in your shoes, but hopefully it can help. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is a hard reset.
    yes i have here maps and drive downloaded, when i ran shrinkstorage i had like 15mb left and it still did nothing. every time i tried deleting temp files since i got the dev version of gdr3, it never seemed to work. i tried deleting from phone storage and storage check
    01-02-2014 01:34 PM

also, nokia maps and drive only take about 50mb, my biggest app/game is ashpalt 7 with 875mb, then falls to some other game at 115mb
    01-02-2014 01:42 PM
    also, nokia maps and drive only take about 50mb, my biggest app/game is ashpalt 7 with 875mb, then falls to some other game at 115mb
    Yeah, the size of maps will depend on where you are and what you've downloaded. Being in America, I've got 2.5 GB of maps, so that's where I go first for large space needs.
    01-02-2014 02:04 PM
    Wow - a bit too much caffiene in the tea, eh? I don't believe anyone mentioned what part of the world they were from (including yourself - even after your rant), and since people generally answer from their own experience, that's where the answer comes from. There was a statement that only the Ativ S and the 1520 had SD support, which is false. And since someone mentioned TMobile, an American will naturally assume he's talking to an American since TMO is here as well.

The internet has made a really big world small, and often people believe that they're talking to someone nearby, when in fact, as you've demonstrated, it is possible for that person to be on the other side of the planet. Literally.

Step back from the keyboard for a moment, take a deep breath, and realize that people are generally trying to be helpful, not hurtful.
    Sorry if I came off a bit too strong. The tea and crumpet were supposed to be references to British Stereotypes (I'm in the UK obviously, the only other country in the world according to the internet). There was supposed to be a smiley in there as well, but I replaced it with guv because...I dunno. *bows head in shame. A thousand splendid apologies to anyone who was offended.
    01-02-2014 02:26 PM
    Yeah, the size of maps will depend on where you are and what you've downloaded. Being in America, I've got 2.5 GB of maps, so that's where I go first for large space needs.
    i only downloaded washington state for offline. so it shouldnt be a lot
    01-02-2014 02:30 PM
    Sorry if I came off a bit too strong. The tea and crumpet were supposed to be references to British Stereotypes (I'm in the UK obviously, the only other country in the world according to the internet). There was supposed to be a smiley in there as well, but I replaced it with guv because...I dunno. *bows head in shame. A thousand splendid apologies to anyone who was offended.
    No worries. I don't know what guv means, though.

EDIT: Just reread your first post (the one I replied to) and see the guv - missed it the first time. Still don't know what it means... But also just noticed you called me old. ROFL! Thanks a lot! /sarcasm
    Last edited by hopmedic; 01-02-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    No worries. I don't know what guv means, though.

EDIT: Just reread your first post (the one I replied to) and see the guv - missed it the first time. Still don't know what it means... But also just noticed you called me old. ROFL! Thanks a lot! /sarcasm
    Short for "governor" i.e guvnor :P
    01-02-2014 06:38 PM
    Lol!
    01-02-2014 07:48 PM
    yeah here it is ....but I think you have to sign up with them to get it https://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/Storage-Check
    This worked out ok for me. Thanks for the link !
    01-05-2014 09:03 PM