"app list+settings" where is backup stored?

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys.
I want to hard reset my phone but would like to backup apps (have them too much) if I go to Settings -backup/ app list+settings where its going to be saved?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys.
I want to hard reset my phone but would like to backup apps (have them too much) if I go to Settings -backup/ app list+settings where its going to be saved?

hey the backup option will only store the app list not the app data, in other words if you hard reset you will not be able to get app data like temple run score, coins,etc.
do a backup on pc like import all your photos, videos and music, and oh yes your contacts are linked with your Microsoft id.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The backup data will be stored with your Microsoft Account information on the cloud - you won't need to sync your backup data to your PC.

Text messages are stored in your outlook.com account.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
hey the backup option will only store the app list not the app data, in other words if you hard reset you will not be able to get app data like temple run score, coins,etc.
do a backup on pc like import all your photos, videos and music, and oh yes your contacts are linked with your Microsoft id.

I know everything you said here, thanks for that. I just want to know where the backup will be saved, on my Microsoft account (no idea where) or on phone (hard reset erases everything) I just need apps to be installed all at once not manually (search-install for each)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just want to know where the backup will be saved, on my Microsoft account (no idea where) or on phone (hard reset erases everything)

Like I said a few posts above. It's on the cloud with your MS Account. It's not in a viewable location, so you won't be able to see or inspect the backup file(s). If you have backup enabled and internet connectivity, the backup will be there.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The app list and settings are backed up to your Microsoft account. If you want to retrieve the backup after your hard reset, remember to sign in to your Microsoft account while setting up your phone.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
You have one chance to restore your phone. Enter your MS account info during phone startup after a reset. Doing it later will not restore the phone.
Your app list is also at windowsphone.com in your app history.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The "official" release from Verizon will have nothing different in it than the "official" release from Microsoft that many of us are now running, except that we installed it in October vs. Verizon pushing it sometime in 2014, we hope. If you look at past stories in WPCentral, you'll see that the version pushed out to Verizon 8Xs is the same build as that which we are running now. There is really no advantage to waiting.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The "official" release from Verizon will have nothing different in it than the "official" release from Microsoft that many of us are now running, except that we installed it in October vs. Verizon pushing it sometime in 2014, we hope. If you look at past stories in WPCentral, you'll see that the version pushed out to Verizon 8Xs is the same build as that which we are running now. There is really no advantage to waiting.

Unless Verizon is waiting because they plan on updating the phone's firmware... but, as for the OS, unless there is some aspects that is custom to Verizon, there should be no difference between the MS and the Verizon one...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Unless Verizon is waiting because they plan on updating the phone's firmware... but, as for the OS, unless there is some aspects that is custom to Verizon, there should be no difference between the MS and the Verizon one...
Verizon begins pushing Update 3 (GDR3) for HTC 8X Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

That should be enough evidence that there is nothing special about Verizon when it comes to GDR3/Update 3. If there is a firmware update then you'll still get it along with Black when it is published.

Again, there is no advantage to waiting.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Verizon begins pushing Update 3 (GDR3) for HTC 8X Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

That should be enough evidence that there is nothing special about Verizon when it comes to GDR3/Update 3. If there is a firmware update then you'll still get it along with Black when it is published.

Again, there is no advantage to waiting.

In another thread you recently told someone to take a deep breath and push away from the keyboard. Perhaps you might want to take your own advice. Shoving an update on someone who has said they would prefer to wait is at the very least arrogant and presumptuous. Personally I consider it irresponsible as well. What is best for you will not be so for everyone. You are also conveniently overlooking that silly little potential issue of voiding warranties. Given the hassles I have had with VZW in Phoenix in the past, I would not want to give anyone excuses when it comes to warranty service. Just because you installed the developers preview (which is what it is) and you like it, does not mean it is right for, or of interest to, everyone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
In another thread you recently told someone to take a deep breath and push away from the keyboard. Perhaps you might want to take your own advice. Shoving an update on someone who has said they would prefer to wait is at the very least arrogant and presumptuous. Personally I consider it irresponsible as well. What is best for you will not be so for everyone. You are also conveniently overlooking that silly little potential issue of voiding warranties. Given the hassles I have had with VZW in Phoenix in the past, I would not want to give anyone excuses when it comes to warranty service. Just because you installed the developers preview (which is what it is) and you like it, does not mean it is right for, or of interest to, everyone.

I'm not shoving anything on anyone. I'm explaining that there is no advantage to waiting. The warranty issue that you bring up is nothing more than Microsoft covering their butts. Microsoft wrote that disclaimer. Microsoft is not a party to any warranty, so they cannot say that it will or will not void a warranty, so they are simply disclaiming any responsibility just in case, so that you can't sue them. This is just more evidence that there are too many lawyers in America.

GDR3 has been pushed out to Windows Phones in the wild already - by Verizon, even, and it is the same build that I have. So while you say it is a developer preview, all it really is is an opportunity to get what is coming, three months early, and counting.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh - and last weekend, I exchanged my 928 with GDR3, under warranty. First thing I did with the new one - install all updates, including GDR3. Then I hard-reset it so that I could install the backup. I didn't install the backup right away, because I wanted to use WiFi to do it - which is the same reason I'm suggesting GDR3 in this case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss