Functionality vs Security

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
What if Microsoft continued their windows mobile os instead of changing to windows phone. Would you have liked the functionality or do you prefer the security you have with windows phone and why?

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Security - first.

I never experienced WM, so I don't know what I'm missing out on, but WP is just fine.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Compared to phones of today, WM was really a drag to use. I loved it. But when you compare touch to having to use a stylus for everything, touch is far more convenient. WP is far more functional than WM, but also more secure, and with that security comes restrictions.

I had three WM phones that I can think of off hand, over a period of probably five, maybe six years. And I loved it. I loved to tell iSheep in 2007 that they did NOT have the first smartphone. But I didn't love it near as much as I love WP8. :wink:

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
As these devices carry our personal lives and they are easily dropped and lost, I think security should be the number one concern of every mobile device owner.

After that, I had only limited experience with Windows Mobile, but I much prefer the design and UI of WinPhone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As these devices carry our personal lives and they are easily dropped and lost, I think security should be the number one concern of every mobile device owner.
Yes - back when I was using WM, I didn't have much of the information in my phone that is there now. Back then probably the most private thing in it was my contact list. Today there are banking and other very personal information in my phone. This is why I campaign among my friends against Android. Ok - you don't like Windows Phone - fine - no phone will ever be the ONE phone that will meet everyone's needs and desires. Go get an iPhone. But don't use Android. Security is far more important than you know.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
For a moment, forget the functionality vs security question and just look at functionality. WM was showing its age in 2008, despite attempts with replacement UI shells. The old UI controls aren't conducive to finger interactions and that's where the market turned. WM was losing ground fast to iOS and Android and it certainly would beat them in 2014.

In the security front, things are very different now. Lots of companies are demanding security policies be applied to devices that access company data; they're doing this because legislation and corporate relationships are forcing the firms to accept responsibility for lost data, even if the company wasn't the entity that lost the data. The old ways would not be acceptable today.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
In the security front, things are very different now. Lots of companies are demanding security policies be applied to devices that access company data; they're doing this because legislation and corporate relationships are forcing the firms to accept responsibility for lost data, even if the company wasn't the entity that lost the data. The old ways would not be acceptable today.

Very true. When I got my first Windows Mobile phone, I bought it so that I could use it with WiFi to access my intranet site at work. Now, I wouldn't have a problem with doing that because I was the IT guy in the plant, but today if I worked there, corporate may have something to say about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos