Airplay Equivalent for WP

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any app equivalent to iPhones Airplay ability to share their screen live on Apple TVs. Are there any Windows 8/8.1 apps that allow us users of wp8 to do this?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
There is DLNA which most networked smart TVs and Blu-ray players support. Nokia has "Play To" which is a DLNA compliant pusher app (but is broken at this time if you have GDR3 preview, but not Black installed). There are other DLNA apps for WP though.

As for W8.x, IE11, and the music, video, picture apps, you can send media to a DLNA device. But remember, DLNA only deals with videos, picture, and music. You can't do a remote desktop or send live acreen type of thing to a DLNA device.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
DLNA capability is much more widely available than AirPlay. You can find it on TVs, BD players and almost any stream box that connects to TV including Xbox. Unfortunately, WP8 does not come with native DLNA app. So, the only thing I know is Nokia's PlayTo app which is quite limited in functionality. On contrast, WP7 phones have DLNA apps from almost every manufacturers and works quite well.

Unlike AirPlay which is Apple only and video part only works on a single device, Apple TV. DLNA is an industry standard that is support by almost everyone other than Apple (there are 3rd party DLNA apps on iOS).

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Nokia PhotoBeamer works on my Lumia 822 with my Dell laptop using WiFi.

I couldn't find Nokia "Beamer"?

So far I have not been able to get Nokia Play To to connect with my DLNA bluray player. I don't have GDR3 installed, so I thought it might work without Nokia Black?

I'll look for another DLNA app. Any recommendations?

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
PhotoBeamer is just for photos im talking about videos, games, your phone screen live aka a mirror. Guess Nokia Beamer will be comparable when we get Lumia black update...its just a missed opportunity for Microsoft not to have some app for windows 8 where it allows users with windows phone to share these screen on their phones live instantly....this would be a good implementation of their three screen device experience idea but I guess that's changing to one.

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely a missed opportunity. The OS even allows it. I work in Quality Assurance for one of the major wireless carriers, and we have Windows Phone 8 training devices supplied by MS that allow screen mirroring. It simply has to be coupled with PC software (also supplied by MS). Of course that's done via a cable and not wireless, but even having that enabled by default would be nice.

I am assuming Miracast will be supported in WP 8.1 since that's what they opted for in Windows 8, and with Belkin recently releasing that "affordable" Miracast dongle - it may have chance of catching on.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
DLNA and AirPlay are not the same thing as screen cast,e.g. Miracast. The former only displays the media content on remote device, not the entire phone screen and requires app to support it. The later is more of an OS component to mirror the entire phone screen. Different use cases.

openweb

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I need a wireless music streaming service only to a home stereo from Windows Phone.

Something like an iPhone connects to an Airport Express via AirPlay, Airport Express has a digital audio output which connects to a home stereo. What's the Windows Phone equivalent, if any?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Nokia phone, Nokia Play To app will allow your phone to play music (and photo, video) from your phone to any DLNA devices on the network.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss