Windows Phone's way of handling tasks is driving me crazy!

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
- Le browsing the tweets

- Accidentally clicked the lock button

- Unlocks the phone

Resuming...

- Back to the top part of the webpage

- Swipes intensely to go back on the bottom part of the webpage

FRUSTRATED

-------

This happens whenever I multitask too... :(

By the way, sorry for my English.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
What?!?! How do you "accidentally" click the lock button while swiping down. That doesn't even seem possible. What phone do you have?

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think when we lock the phone the app doesn't keep running under the screen. I think MS put this limitation to save battery. Imagine, if in a hurry you lock your phone while browsing. And you pull it back out of pockets after 3-4 hours just too look at the low battery warning cause IE or any app kept running behind the lock screen all this time. Pretty annoying that would be.. No??
I think best way is.. Not to lock the phone while using any app.. Not even accidentally.. Lol.. :p

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I think when we lock the phone the app doesn't keep running under the screen. I think MS put this limitation to save battery. Imagine, if in a hurry you lock your phone while browsing. And you pull it back out of pockets after 3-4 hours just too look at the low battery warning cause IE or any app kept running behind the lock screen all this time. Pretty annoying that would be.. No??
I think best way is.. Not to lock the phone while using any app.. Not even accidentally.. Lol.. :p

Says a man, for a system, that does exactly that, some app or process can run wild in the background, thus causing the drain, a huge WP8 issue..

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
No apps under WP8 can run wild under the lock screen, if you care about the apps' and background tasks' settings. A huge WP benefit ...
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
No apps under WP8 can run wild under the lock screen, if you care about the apps' and background tasks' settings. A huge WP benefit ...

That's why we have 200+ people in the poll with random battery drain? And many many of them have nothing in background tasks, some even don't use the internet at all.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
@Gerzhwin Yes, apps can run under the lock screen -- in certain circumstances. An app can ask the user for permission to continue running under the lockscreen. (One of my private apps does this while it grabs a bunch of content from a website. Without this, either the task would stop/restart or I'd have to keep touching the screen to keep it on. This way, I can let the app run (for 3-4 minutes) while letting the screen be off, thus saving battery life.) Certain APIs (like streaming audio and location tracking) can continue running under the lockscreen or even when other apps are on-screen. First-party apps (i.e., the Microsoft ones) can also run this way and some are permitted to do real multi-tasking, running while other apps are on-screen.

@Boris Lozac: I think that most folks here believe that the battery drain problem is a bug in the OS, not an expected consequence of some form on unknown/hidden multitasking or a bug that's somehow part of many, many different apps. Battery drain isn't likely related to background tasks, which are pretty limited in capabilities (although, if the problem is a defect, I guess that it could be there as much as it could be somewhere else in the OS).

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It's so random that i stopped finding logic and reason as to why it happens. I didn't have it for 2, 3 months, two days ago i install Bing Weather and the next day, boom, 40% drain while i was sleeping, with internet turned off, their own officiall app. You just have to find your apps that don't cause it, pray, and don't breathe.. and everything will be fine. Also don't look at it for longer then 5 seconds, they don't like that.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's so random that i stopped finding logic and reason as to why it happens. I didn't have it for 2, 3 months, two days ago i install Bing Weather and the next day, boom, 40% drain while i was sleeping, with internet turned off, their own officiall app. You just have to find your apps that don't cause it, pray, and don't breathe.. and everything will be fine. Also don't look at it for longer then 5 seconds, they don't like that.

Battery drain events happen less for me since GDR2. GDR3 is about the same. I find forcefully closing IE might help - I.e. don't back out but use the task manager to X it out.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
actually the stream music api exploit the whatsapp is using is a battery killer especially if you lock the phone while having the app active.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Also, I have run my Lumia 1020 battery into the ground (locked, 100% to 12% in 2 hours) by omitting to close Nokia Camera after taking 5 photos, so something was wrong there.

Jan Gertru

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
:shocked:Leuven, UTC+1, Nokia Lumia 920, Amber + GDR3.

I have been a consumer and professional iPhone user for many years and still do with a 4S containing about 200 apps. However in April 2013 I decided to try an alternative OS and bought the Nokia Lumia 920 (GDR 3 in the meantime) which I now have been using for about 8 months together with my iPhone. Thus I can compare both builts and OS's.

I should like to summarize my conclusions about the OS and the Lumia as follows after using the phone quite intensively and installing more than 150 apps:

The design is one of the best and most original I have seen.
The hardware is extremely shock resistant (it fell one day from 3m high on cobble stones!) and allows wireless charging, unlike the competition.
Nokia does a great job in offering own apps with regular updates however some major apps are still missing : such as Flipboard and others. Also apps on WP8 are missing a lot of features of same apps on IOS. Trust this will be a matter of time..
The display is a delight to work with, definitely white on black with gloves.
WP8 overall and live tiles are a refreshing element compared to IOS and Android.( definetely when you pin Google contacts on your home screen!)
However although I love the device and might even buy an upgrade to Lumia 1020 at a later stage, since I love the above par camera and related apps, I am getting seriously frustrated by a lot of unacceptable flaws in the present state of the OS which I feel are completely unacceptable and a shame for Microsoft.
Processor speed is below par or the OS is not optimizing it and as a result starting up apps and browsing photo's takes to long compared to GS4 and iPhone 4/5S. Resuming, loading.....
Downloading of mail attachments takes to long and one can not see the progress !
One has to repeat clicking for downloading pictures in mails.
No sound confirming sending of mails !
The built-in Calendar app is below par and has a major flaw since the change to Caldav : when adding attendees to an appointment the calendar does not sync anymore with the Google calendar which is still way better than the outlook.com calendar who is missing many features which I am using in Google. (colors, more details, locations, etc..) No solution found yet even after trying 4 alternative Calendar apps !
Another problem which I solved by roaming the internet is the fact that when using automatic date+time setting the appointments in the Google calendar showed up one hour earlier due to a bug in the Caldav procedure of Microsoft which ignores the DST. I solved it by using West Central African UTC +1 timezone which does not use DST !!
It is impossible to add photos to the outlook persons tab in outook.com which forces me to continue to use the Google contacts syncing.
No notification or control center..
Obviously professional users won't have to suffer a big part of these bugs since using Exchange servers, Outlook and Office 365, but the millions of consumers in the street will suffer the same frustrations, definitely if they find out that their new Outlook account is not on par with Gmail and IOS.

Steve, do me a favor before you leave, solve these problems if you want WP8 to conquer the world of smartphones.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss