New chipsets that aren't Qualcomm?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone has been running Qualcomm's chips since WP7, and it is great so far. But I do hope, and feel, that WP8.1 will support pretty much all chipsets, like Nvidia's and Intel's mobile chips. Also in WP8.1, android devices might dual boot windows phone, and not all Android devices are Qualcomm, so it would need to support the different chips. Also, I would like to see the new Nvidia chip come to windows phone soon.

What do you think guys? And don't forget to click the link to learn about nvidia's latest chip!

Tegra K1 Next-Gen Quad-Core Mobile Processor | NVIDIA Tegra | NVIDIA

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
This chipset is too powerful and looks it been created for gaming...
i would like to see it on a succesor of 920 or 1020....

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This chipset is too powerful and looks it been created for gaming...
i would like to see it on a succesor of 920 or 1020....

Well certainly not for WP until the end of 2014, lol. By then, their 64 bit version will come out. :D

It would be nice to see on windows tablets soon. :)

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
IMO Qualcomm chips are the standard in mobile SoCs in term of quality, speed, and marketshare.
and why would you support installing lagdroid on Windows Phones? I'd rather use the flash space for more useful things

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
IMO Qualcomm chips are the standard in mobile SoCs in term of quality, speed, and marketshare.
and why would you support installing lagdroid on Windows Phones? I'd rather use the flash space for more useful things

I said vice versa. Installing windows phone on Android devices.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But I do hope, and feel, that WP8.1 will support pretty much all chipsets, like Nvidia's and Intel's mobile chips.

Already two years ago many people wondered if something like this would happen, particularly due to repeated reports that ST-Ericsson had scored a contract with MS, that would end Qualcomm's reign as the exclusive supplier of chipsets for WP devices. I said it then and I'll say it again... its not happening.

Firstly, incorporating support for a new chipset occupies a large engineering team, easily for over a year. No matter how that work is distributed, that team is ultimately not working on things that would be far more important... things like closing the feature and functionality gap with iOS and Android. Considering all the catching up still required, and that MS can't rely on third party developers to the same degree iOS and Android can, the last thing we need is for MS to invest even more resources into low level software engineering that enables WP to do absolutely nothing new nor fundamentally better (just the same things either a smidgen faster or a smidgen slower, depending on what the actual task at hand is).

More importantly, this introduces major hardware fragmentation, which goes against MS' strategic goal of hardware standardization. Dropping that strategy would result in developers having to expend far more effort into keeping their apps compatible and working well within a far more diverse hardware ecosystem. WP is already behind in the apps race. We don't need to make it harder for developers. Android developers are willing to make that effort because the market is huge and the costs can be recouped through volume. Make it just as costly to develop for WP, and you can say goodbye to many a WP developer, particularly those that try to deliver games.

The goal should be for WP to support as few different hardware configurations as possible, without falling behind in the specs race. Unfortunately, MS hasn't been too successful in that department either. However, the problem is not that MS supports too few chipsets, but that MS isn't ready to support a chipset when they are released. Android devices with said chipset are usually available up to six months earlier. By the time WP devices with that chipset arrive, it's already considered old news. Adding support for yet another chipset, likely just as late or even later, will do nothing to address that main problem... in all likelihood it would make it even worse.

Anyway, WP will support the S805 this year. There is nothing Tegra can offer over Snapdragon that would make the required effort (by developers world wide) worthwhile.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18