Black Update, GDR3, and Windows 8.1

tonybessette

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
What is the difference between these three? I have the Nokia Lumia 1520...so I believe I have the Nokia Black update. Is that the same as the GDR3 update? ....and also, is what I have Windows 8.1....or is that something I'll be getting later down the line?

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Gdr3 is the software and black is accompanying firmware from Nokia. 8.1 is like gdr3 but bigger and more improvements. Not out yet.

tonybessette

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay...so with my 1520 I have GDR3 with Nokia's Black update.....I'm waiting on Windows Phone 8.1 update. Good....didn't want to miss this notification center and Cortana everyone keeps talking about.

Will my 1520 get this 8.1 update, or will I have to buy a new device to get the latest OS?

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay...so with my 1520 I have GDR3 with Nokia's Black update.....I'm waiting on Windows Phone 8.1 update. Good....didn't want to miss this notification center and Cortana everyone keeps talking about.

Will my 1520 get this 8.1 update, or will I have to buy a new device to get the latest OS?

You will get this update and many more after it

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

your phone will define the future of windows phone 8.1, it will shine due to snapdragon 800,2gigs of ram and eye popping full hd display. Your AWESOME phone will get all the features of 8.1 ,, don't know about my Lumia 920, will think of upgrading after 8.1 is released in future.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

All Windows Phones have a guaranteed update cycle of 14 months presently. You will receive all the updates released within this time period (from the day your phone was RELEASED, not bought, to the day when it completes 14 months), and perhaps many more after them.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
All Windows Phones have a guaranteed update cycle of 14 months presently. You will receive all the updates released within this time period (from the day your phone was RELEASED, not bought, to the day when it completes 14 months), and perhaps many more after them.

Let's not spread misinformation. For a definitive answer if your phone will get these updates and for how long, check here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ive]-will-my-wp-phone-get-updated-thread.html

GDR3 is the update that includes new features from Microsoft.
Black is the Nokia-specific updates that includes new features for Nokia phones only. This is distributed with the GDR3 (Update 3) update.
WP 8.1 is the update you'll get later this year which I the next major revision of the WP OS.

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
So when exactly are all these gonna come out? Im hearing till the end of 2014, begining of 2014, august...next month...anyone know a legit date?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So when exactly are all these gonna come out? Im hearing till the end of 2014, begining of 2014, august...next month...anyone know a legit date?

Well, GDR3 started rolling out in October (if you did the developer preview program - Download the Preview for Developers and get GDR3 right now | Windows Phone Central), and November (if you didn't - Verizon begins pushing Update 3 (GDR3) for HTC 8X Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central).

Black started rolling out with the Lumia 1520 and 1320 (shipped on new phones) in November (November 22nd is Zero Hour: Nokia Lumia 2520, Lumia 1520 and Xbox One all launch in the US | Windows Phone Central) and in December on the 1020 (existing phone updated) (AT&T and Nokia release Lumia Black update for Lumia 1020; Lumia 1520 also gets new firmware | Windows Phone Central).

Windows 8.1 started rolling out on October 17 (AT&T and Nokia release Lumia Black update for Lumia 1020; Lumia 1520 also gets new firmware | Windows Phone Central) unless you had an MSDN account, and in that case you could get it on September 9 (Microsoft backs down: Developers can now download Windows 8.1 RTM and Visual Studio 2013 RC | Windows Phone Central).

Now if the subject was intended to be Windows Phone 8.1, and not Windows 8.1, then the only reliable answer is 2014. Anything else is guesswork.

Last edited:

Mikersson

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Tony, despite I dont see a diect answer to your question I can tell yo som,ething: I have been looking for the Black update yesterday my mobil is s Nokia Lumia 520 and Im in Latinamerica. Some updates has been relased in Europe and some countries in Latinamerica but mostly in Europe. So My carier did drop the ipdates for the Black -in my case- then I was looking for flash my mobile with another firmware to get the Lumia black update. In the middle of the searching I got a suggestion to upgrade to Wndows 8.1 and since then I have noticed that the feathures looks like the "Lumia Black" So in my experience -and despite I could be wrong- I can tell than the results after the windows 8.1 update has been released are pretty much the same than to upgrade to "Lumia Black"
For to upgrade to Windows 8.1 U have to:

1.sign up with your Microsoft account as developer account from the link:
Windows App Studio - Microsoft
when you open the link,select "start new project" option.Now sign in with your Microsoft account.Accept the terms and click register.

2.Download "PREVIEW FOR DEVELOPERS " app from windows store

3.Open the app ,accept the terms & sign in with your developer account.After sign in ,enable Preview for developer option & you will be part of Preview for developer program.

4.Go to settings & check for phone updates.Small update will be available now.Install the update.(This is not 8.1 update,but due to this update it will be easier to download and install 8.1 update.)
This update will take 5-10 mins.

5.When above update is complete,again go to settings & check for updates.Windows 8.1 update will be available now.Download and install the update.
Update will take about 15 to 20 mins or it can take longer than that.Before installing update,charge your phone's battery above 80%.

By following above steps you can get update on any windows devices.

(The steps were taken from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btdBKF6gUn8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05