MSFT... Give some life to live tiles!!!!

Anant Anand

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The people who are attacking battery sensitiveness of android citing all widget on different homepages CONVENIENTLY FORGET THAT I ASKED FOR NON DATA CONSUMING HARDWARE INFO LIVE TILES!!!! though it will eat battery i don't feel it will drain it abnormally....

gmlongo

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Then homescreen and live-tiles make zero sense too, they're already there on the right screen, in the apps list? Cmon people..

And once again, widgets for clock and battery DO NOT waste battery on Android.

The clock is on the SAME screen as your live tiles, hence it is by definition, redundant. The apps list is a separate screen from your start screen, and the app list is not live, so your comment does not make much sense.

Of course they use battery on Android...it is just such a negligible amount that it's not noticeable. If the phone is doing ANY processing, it is using battery. I thought that went without saying, but here we are...

gmlongo

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The people who are attacking battery sensitiveness of android citing all widget on different homepages CONVENIENTLY FORGET THAT I ASKED FOR NON DATA CONSUMING HARDWARE INFO LIVE TILES!!!! though it will eat battery i don't feel it will drain it abnormally....
You are conveniently ignoring the point that was previously mentioned...whether or not a tile is consuming data is really not the determining factor of how much battery is being used. The battery can be abnormally drained by excess processing, without consuming any data at all.

gmlongo

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
You both hold differing opinions on the subject. Both of your opinions hold value. Just sayin'....

I didn't state an opinion...I simply stated that the clock is redundant, which it obviously is. Sure, the Android clock widgets from 2010 sure looked sharp, but that doesn't make them any less of a duplication. I have no problem with his premise, but his comments act as if we aren't understanding his points, but the reality is, his points are not well thought out and are not helping to justify his position.

Anant Anand

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Or phone with blank screen that will do nothing.... But sexy unibody looks... Bros, limitation IS LIMITATION.... u can not not defend it with battery drain issue or OS exclusivity... See, I have both Jellybean n wp8. And i hardly touch android... But there are 20 percent (for example) virtues within android... In order to make wp8 more effective and sexier and perfect, someone has to raise demand... Someone has to play DEVIL'S ADVOCATE...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
When you said this, I was hoping you were referring to the lost potential with many live tiles, but apparently not.

While this does sound nice in theory, all it takes is one tiny mistake by a developer, amongst thousands of lines of code, to take it from a neat little battery monitor app, to a battery hog.

And in response to the HTC Clock app: HTC is an OEM, so they obviously get deep OS access when it comes to their programs. Anyways, that's only from one source, the risk for it becoming a hazard to battery life or otherwise is incredibly limited.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Or phone with blank screen that will do nothing.... But sexy unibody looks... Bros, limitation IS LIMITATION.... u can not not defend it with battery drain issue or OS exclusivity... See, I have both Jellybean n wp8. And i hardly touch android... But there are 20 percent (for example) virtues within android... In order to make wp8 more effective and sexier and perfect, someone has to raise demand... Someone has to play DEVIL'S ADVOCATE...

Going on what you're saying then we should have live tiles constantly updating all the time, don't you think that the extra processing load would run the battery down faster.

The perfect example of this is Battery Status apps which constantly poll the battery for its status, leading to extra processing and running the battery down faster. That's not opinion, that's fact. Just look in the forums at the posts about poor battery life.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I didn't state an opinion...I simply stated that the clock is redundant, which it obviously is. Sure, the Android clock widgets from 2010 sure looked sharp, but that doesn't make them any less of a duplication. I have no problem with his premise, but his comments act as if we aren't understanding his points, but the reality is, his points are not well thought out and are not helping to justify his position.

Clock makes zero sense
This is an opinion.

I keep trying, but with all the caps flying in this thread, it gives me no hope that there is a possibility of civility here..... :straight:

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I didn't state an opinion...I simply stated that the clock is redundant, which it obviously is.

Um sure, your opinion mate. I want a nice big clock, it looks good, it's easier to read it, problem? How come none of those dozens of battery and clock widgets never caused a problem? God knows i've tried them all. I don't know how it works but it does not, waste battery, like waste, offcourse it uses some.. but completely neglible.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I m really interested in battery status app constantly pulling battery... It must update in real time then... What's name"?

I totally understand the desire to improve the live tiles in the next update. Faster updating or whatever would be great. But for your specific case of battery status and clock, I don't understand. The clock is already on the top bar and it is live. Why would you want another clock? Also, the battery indicator is also on the top bar. I think a much better solution is for them to add the percentage right next to the indicator like iOS has the option for.

But I think live tiles should be more configurable, like using them as toggles, or even making them animated, or allowing them to go through a slideshow of notifications/updates unlike now where you can only see 2 things (front and back)

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I totally understand the desire to improve the live tiles in the next update. Faster updating or whatever would be great. But for your specific case of battery status and clock, I don't understand. The clock is already on the top bar and it is live. Why would you want another clock? Also, the battery indicator is also on the top bar. I think a much better solution is for them to add the percentage right next to the indicator like iOS has the option for.

But I think live tiles should be more configurable, like using them as toggles, or even making them animated, or allowing them to go through a slideshow of notifications/updates unlike now where you can only see 2 things (front and back)

Coming in 8.1, my friend.

ashwin pillai

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
it works for messenger apps and messages and call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ms is interested in making customers happy by giving 100%.........if u hate win then leave the option.......... they are not holding you.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6