Microsoft confirms WP8.1 on all WP8 phones

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
MS already did provide another means of getting the update...or at least most of it. The developer preview program. The only thing that would then rely on the carrier would be firmware updates. But if MS takes over the Nokia firmware updates, maybe they will add them into the developer program.

We can hope! :wink:

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't hold your breath the update is relies solely on the carriers willingness to distribute it. Can't see the carriers being bothered to role out the 8.1 to older phones ie 920,925 etc and nor can I see Microsoft strong-arming them into doing so

As long as MS allows update via their "developer/app studio" program I think most enthusiasts will be able to stretch out the lifespan of their existing devices and enjoy most of the new OS benefits.

AgroUrban

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi. :)
I wish to buy L1520 , but I want to use MC office on the go, so I need BT keyboard to connect with a phone.
I know that today it is not possible but I wonder will it be enabled with 8.1 update. Does anybody know anything about it? :-/ Tnx.

polomint

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Completely unlocked phones (in other words ones that don't have a carrier associated with it when you got to Settings -> about) will get the update. It's only those phones that are 'branded' carrier phones that are pretty much screwed.

What exactly am I looking for in Settings->about? I see nothing related to the carrier I'm with (EE).

Ta

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
All marketing BS until the handsets actually get the update. The updates need to be released across the board without any "buts". Android has the same problem, Apple does not. If this platform is to continue to improve, this is an area where it needs to deliver.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Flash your branded phones with unbranded firmware manually. Then your problems should go away. Just a suggestion, but in my experience waiting for others to help you is a disappointing game. Best to take control of the situation yourself.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
What exactly am I looking for in Settings->about? I see nothing related to the carrier I'm with (EE).

If your phone is not carrier dependent, there won't be a 'Carrier' field on the about screen. Mine doesn't have it, but I've seen a couple of screenshots with a carrier mentioned on the about screen.

polomint

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If your phone is not carrier dependent, there won't be a 'Carrier' field on the about screen. Mine doesn't have it, but I've seen a couple of screenshots with a carrier mentioned on the about screen.

Thanks. I did flash a while back with the French GDR2 ROM anyway. Let's hope Black hurries up for the 920, :)

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
It should show the 'Carrier' field on the about screen even if it's not branded. In such cases it'll show something like 'CV-GB' (if you're in the UK). Same as on Nokia's firmware update progress web page. This means it is unbranded (and therefore unlocked as well).

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Yep, Unlocked phones are the way to go.

Agreed but cannot find 625, 920, 925, 1020, 1320, 1520 that will work on T-MO. I think this situation needs to improve drastically, I am all for unlocked devices but don't want to sacrifice surfing speeds by buying a global GSM unlocked device that gets really terrible data speeds on T-MO.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
All marketing BS until the handsets actually get the update. The updates need to be released across the board without any "buts". Android has the same problem, Apple does not. If this platform is to continue to improve, this is an area where it needs to deliver.

apple doesn't have this problem because they have the same exact device vs hundreds of thousands android with various configs and hardware
And dozens of windows phone hardware.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
apple doesn't have this problem because they have the same exact device vs hundreds of thousands android with various configs and hardware
And dozens of windows phone hardware.
And because Apple exercises brute force against the carriers that Microsoft can't exercise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05