Windows 8.1 Update 1 - April?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft forges ahead toward Windows 8.1 Update 1 | ZDNet
According to my contacts, Microsoft is/was planning to deliver this update around the time it releases its Windows Phone 8.1 "Blue" operating system release. The goal of Windows 8.1 Update 1 is to bring the PC/tablet and phone operating system platforms into closer alignment, from a programming interface standpoint.

WZor's accompanying blog post (translated from Russian) indicates that Microsoft is planning to release to manufacturing (RTM) Update 1 in March and make it publicly available as of April 2014 as a free upgrade for all Windows 8.1 users via Windows Update. He also claims that MSDN and Microsoft volume licensees also will get the RTM bits by late March or early April.

Not so coincidentally, Microsoft's Build 2014 developer conference is set for April 2 to 4 in San Francisco.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
and unlike the 8.1 through the store debacle which is completely RUINING 8.1 adoption, this will come through Windows Update. People are lazy, and Microsoft needs to fix this problem and deploy 8.1 through Windows Update NOW as a critical update.
I don't think it's necessarily an issue of lazy people. I think it's more an issue of users who currently have Windows 7 not feeling any need to pay money for upgrades, combined with fewer sales of new PCs. If Windows 7 users were offered a free upgrade to 8/8.1, they might be more inclined to adopt it, even if they do not buy new hardware.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
*facepalm*. I'm NOT talking about windows 7 people!!!!!!!!! I'm talking about windows 8 people who have no clue or no motivation to get the FREE windows 8.1 upgrade in the store. I know for me personally it didn't show up in the store because I didn't have some stupid patch that... guess what, comes through Windows Update! utter FAILURE on existing 8 to 8.1 deployment..... and unless they force 8.1 through WU, people are going to hear about this patch and wonder why they cant get it because they don't have 8.1 yet!

The store should be for app updates, NOT OS upgrades!!!!!!!
I agree. I actually got a new PC running 8 after 8.1 was released. Well, guess what? I had to do a hotfix prior to installing 8.1. When I went to the store, it wouldn't even show 8.1 being available; after hotfix 8.1 showed up in store. Of course I knew 8.1 was out, since I already updated another PC I already had (which I had bought 8 for--that older PC was running 7). I had to do the same hotfix on the older PC to upgrade from 8 to 8.1. 2 PCs with 8 needing hotfix to find 8.1 in store is a fail, especially since one PC was brand new.

I'm sure a lot of people less technically inclined might not know about these buggy updates or need to run hotfix to get 8.1 to show up in the store, or they might find it too much trouble, due to the time and effort involved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720