Trusting 3rd parties with your info, what's your rule?

Sebsweden

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
So, I just downloaded a 3rd party Flickr-app, because the official one sucks. But in order to use it, I have to give it my Gmail account and password. (I login with my Gmail). How do you all feel about giving this information to a 3rd party app? (no disrespect to the developers implied :)

RadioActive199

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Generally make sure that the app uses OAuth, moreover reframe from using your social network accounts like FB, twitter or something else, this way your information is more secure. And ALWAYS; ALWAYS makes sure to read the reviews on the app, it tells you a lot about the App.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
With all due respect, you use Gmail and you're worried about third parties??

Please provide at least one instance of Google illegally providing your email and/or other information to third parties without your permission (US/NSA does not count)

I'm tired of all the FUD around...

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Please provide at least one instance of Google illegally providing your email and/or other information to third parties without your permission (US/NSA does not count)

I'm tired of all the FUD around...

Illegally, unlikely or no; but there is the rub.

Sebsweden

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
With so many 3rd party apps (like 6tag, facebook-apps, and so on) I thought there would be some common sense guidelines to follow. What is oauth by the way? Thanks radioactive for your reply.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Google login, Microsoft account login and Facebook login are typical examples of using OAuth where the login page is directly from correspondent company rather than from the app itself. So the login page is typically hosted in a web page (look just like when you login yourself via a browser) instead of an app's settings page and you will also need to grand permissions to the app right after login. With OAuth, 3rd party apps don't store your password at all. It gets a token from the login authority instead.

Sebsweden

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Google being nice or not is neither here nor there. I still don't like to spread my password around. I sort of had to this time, because the official Flickr app is so horrible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans