Window Phone updates are getting slower and slower????

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but I think WP updates are getting slower.
I mean, it's been a while since GDR3 release but their is no news when it will come on L920, 820 ,720 620 etc...

and as more and more new lines of Lumia adds up it gets even slower.
For example - L925 and L1020 gets first GDR3 update , I think after this L920 , 820 will get and then after L720,620 and 520 will get this update means atleast it will take March-April means 6 month for after release.
and if we forecast this then
When WP 8.1 will come
First L1520 and L1320 will get update
after that L925 and L1020 and then L920 , 820 and so on.

So, as I said more and more Lumia devices adding our wait for update will getting longer and longer.

So, I have 2 questions here
First - As far as I know MS promises to support WP8 devices for 3 years..That means after a while First WP 8 devices like L920,820,720,620 and 520 may take 9 month to 1 year for update.
So, if we are getting update after a year release that means MS is actually giving update support for 2 years. For example Lets assume WP 9 will come in Oct 2015, and Old WP8 phone support will last till 2016 , ......my question here is will we get WP 9 update or not. Because when it will come MS support cycle will already be expired or MS 3 years support means all WP updates which release in that time will defiantly come on our devicesno matter how much time it will take?
(* I am not asking here about WP9 , I am just trying to understand MS 3 years update thing)

Second question - Why our devices getting update slow. I know about the carrier approval please do not bring this here. I mean MS strictly control hardware. (Dual Core with 512MB RAM and 1GB RAM and Quad Core with 2 GB RAM and all are Qualcomm Snapdragon processor) . I can can understand why Android phones get slow update because they runs on not only Snapdragon but also Exymos, Mediatek, Nvidia Tegra etc... which need time to optimze OS according to these chipset, while WP runs on similar chipset. Even than Few devices already getting Android 4.4(like Moto G) and here their is no news when our devices will get update. and about iPhone will it's a shame to compare with iPhone support.
So, Even WP is more closer to iPhone why still we have to wait for update here. What is the p[roblem here. Is MS and OEMs intentionally making distribution of update slow ????

(For Mods - Sorry if someone already post this question, I tried to find it but no success. If some already ask this type of question please do mention the thread before closing this one)

Thank You!

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but I think WP updates are getting slower.
I mean, it's been a while since GDR3 release but their is no news when it will come on L920, 820 ,720 620 etc...

and as more and more new lines of Lumia adds up it gets even slower.
For example - L925 and L1020 gets first GDR3 update , I think after this L920 , 820 will get and then after L720,620 and 520 will get this update means atleast it will take March-April means 6 month for after release.
and if we forecast this then
When WP 8.1 will come
First L1520 and L1320 will get update
after that L925 and L1020 and then L920 , 820 and so on.

So, as I said more and more Lumia devices adding our wait for update will getting longer and longer.

So, I have 2 questions here
First - As far as I know MS promises to support WP8 devices for 3 years..That means after a while First WP 8 devices like L920,820,720,620 and 520 may take 9 month to 1 year for update.
So, if we are getting update after a year release that means MS is actually giving update support for 2 years. For example Lets assume WP 9 will come in Oct 2015, and Old WP8 phone support will last till 2016 , ......my question here is will we get WP 9 update or not. Because when it will come MS support cycle will already be expired or MS 3 years support means all WP updates which release in that time will defiantly come on our devicesno matter how much time it will take?
(* I am not asking here about WP9 , I am just trying to understand MS 3 years update thing)

Second question - Why our devices getting update slow. I know about the carrier approval please do not bring this here. I mean MS strictly control hardware. (Dual Core with 512MB RAM and 1GB RAM and Quad Core with 2 GB RAM and all are Qualcomm Snapdragon processor) . I can can understand why Android phones get slow update because they runs on not only Snapdragon but also Exymos, Mediatek, Nvidia Tegra etc... which need time to optimze OS according to these chipset, while WP runs on similar chipset. Even than Few devices already getting Android 4.4(like Moto G) and here their is no news when our devices will get update. and about iPhone will it's a shame to compare with iPhone support.
So, Even WP is more closer to iPhone why still we have to wait for update here. What is the p[roblem here. Is MS and OEMs intentionally making distribution of update slow ????

(For Mods - Sorry if someone already post this question, I tried to find it but no success. If some already ask this type of question please do mention the thread before closing this one)

Thank You!

You get what you paid for...i mean if you get the cheapest handset ie L520 you will have to wait for Nokia to release updates for other phones first..

The reason they split update batch wise is to avoid servers getting overloaded which may crash and then people will whine about it

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I think it's more slower than it should, but we can blame carriers for that too.

I have unlocked 820 and just after 4 days 1020 got OTA updates i got mine...!!

This was the 3rd update in a year..so Nokia and MS are doing their work spot on

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Carriers have always prioritized newer devices, because they want to sell you the latest and greatest phones.

As such its purely logical that the more devices Nokia release, the longer its going to take between updates being released by MS/Nokia, and the carriers approving them.

Add in the fact that almost daily a new Android phone comes out, that carriers have to approve, it is sadly inevitable that updates will continue to get slower and slower.

But, when you think about it, Microsoft now have the developer program, and Nokia have ripped various bits out of the OS into apps, and i think we are in a reasonable situation.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
GDR3 was released to OEMs in October, and even released to us, should we choose to install it using the preview program, on October 19. Nokia released Black on the 1520 and 1320 when they launched, and it hit the first carrier (ATT) on December 19. At this point, if you don't have the update (and I don't), you should put the blame where it belongs - with your carrier (I'm looking at you, Verizon).

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Guys I am not asking carriers , I am asking why MS delaying update?
Depending on WP OS nature update should be fast. But instead it is getting slower and slower.

At this speed I think devices like L720,620 and 520 will get WP 8.1 not before 2015 and it might be their last update.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Guys I am not asking carriers , I am asking why MS delaying update?
Depending on WP OS nature update should be fast. But instead it is getting slower and slower.
Well, MS is not delaying update. As someone have written before, MS published GDR3 in October and you could download it at the same day ( I did :D). And than it is Nokia which added some things to GDR3. So Nokia is slow, not MS. And also, HTC devices got GDR3 quite some time ago. But it has less functions than Black update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb