Facebook friends without mobile number not appearing in Windows Messaging

Ezra Oceans

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I apologise immensely if a similar thread has already been posted, I was unable to locate another similar incident online.
Yesterday I received my Lumia 820 and attempted to set up the permissions required to message my Facebook friends, within the native Windows Phone 8 'Messaging' App (preinstalled). I successfully linked my Facebook account to my Microsoft Account, checking within Facebook on my computer that it had worked - it had, and it showed that Microsoft was able to: Access posts in your News Feed and Access Facebook Chat. My problem occurs when I head into Messaging and attempt to select a contact; only the Facebook friends with mobile numbers attached to their accounts appear in my messaging contacts. It might be important to note that all of my Facebook friends appear in my 'People' section. I may have read this wrong, but I assumed from what I had read that I should be able to contact Facebook friends through Facebook, using Mobile Data or while connected to the internet, without the need for an attached phone number. I am running Lumia Black.
Thank you in advance, and again I apologise if this thread already exists.

- Regards, Ezra

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to contact your friends via Facebook chat. Try looking at the contacts from the People hub and select chat, so you can chat with them, or type the names of your contacts in the search bar in the Messaging hub.

Ezra Oceans

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your fast reply WanderingTraveler. I've selected a few of my Facebook friends within the People Hub and the only options I receive are 'Write on Wall' and 'Send Email'. When I enter into the Messaging Hub and navigate to my contacts, only my friends with a mobile number appear - and I am only able to sms them. This makes me think that the Messaging Hub only carried across Contact details for the friends with mobiles attached to their Facebook accounts - rather than giving me the ability to chat with them through Facebook.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried actually connecting your Facebook account to your Microsoft account?

This is not the same as linking it to your phone, and has the effect of letting you chat from Outlook.com and associated Microsoft services.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon