Nintendo DS emulator in the works?

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if anyone knows about a Nintendo DS emulated that is in the works. I know there is an android and ios app for Nintendo ds emualting, but nothing for windows phone yet. Devices like the Nokia Lumia 1520 could be be able to emulate the Nintendo ds. I would gladly pay 5$ or more for a really good Nintendo ds emulator app that would work with the moga controller. Am I not the only one?

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
There isn't a Nintendo DS emulator for WP yet, I'm afraid. There are a lot of Gameboy emulators that may or may not have been pulled - WPCentral had an article about the sources of a developer's emulators being released to other developers, but I'm not sure if those are republished yet.

blackmagic1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Nintendo DS would be cool, but I'm literally dying for a n64 emulator. It would make my life complete to play Ocarina of time on my phone again..

Xonovor

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's possible for now, windows phone doesn't allow dynamic recompilation ( even if it works it would be really slow)

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I played a Ds emulator on an iPad 4 and it was really slow. We may not have powerful enough hardware yet. I played a Ds emulator on android and seemed to work well. Android is very different though.

Sym3

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Have you seen DS hardware specs? Even windows phone 7 devices can run those games without breaking a sweat.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Much harder because you have to emulate all the chips on the device (CPU, GPU), then you have to deal with an encryption of the games...

wouldn't a device like the Nokia Lumia 1520 have enough horsepower to emulate a Nintendo Ds? A wp7 device should be able to emulate a Ds game by comparing hardware of a Nintendo Ds and wp7 device.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChyeaChyea552

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I would pay for a ds emulator as well. Ever $15 if it worked well. I feel the 1520 would handle it. I know the coding is difficult and different than the other single screen, non touch screen game systems. Maybe we can find a developer from one who created the ios/android emulators

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've read other reports that the main hold-back is lack of DynaRec support in the OS.
The guy that codes VBA8 says that a similar emulator, on Android, runs like 10x faster.
JJ

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I was waiting for DS emulator to show up on WP but rather bought a Nintendo DS tired of waiting.DS has such great games and since DS emulator isnt coming to WP anytime soon , its just better to buy a DS its really a great system.
Also the SNES8X and VBA8 heat my phone up like an oven and drain the battery like crazy so even if DS emulator does show up better not keep your hopes high with its performance.

EdSherriff

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Those interested in the technical side of emulation on Windows Phone compared to Android should read this earlier discussion. But I would agree that the DS is within the capabilities of Windows Phone, unfortunately the technical obstacles are sufficient to prevent any simple port of an Android or x86 emulator for a fifth generation console. To create EmiPSX the developer had to completely rewrite the core of the emulator, which requires in depth knowledge of the target console's hardware, these big changes have in turn caused compatibility problems that have limited its appeal and lengthened its development. For less demanding consoles like Megadrive, GBA and SNES an interpreter is generally sufficient which can be ported directly from another platform, maintaining the high games compatibility derived from years of development of their parent x86 emulator.

In my opinion the implications of this is that most seasoned Windows Phone developers are unwilling or unable to undertake the huge commitment in writing an emulator which needs more advanced techniques than interpretation (which can be fairly easily ported from other platforms). Meanwhile developers of emulators on other platforms know that DynaRec is not available on Windows Phone, so either assume that a port is not possible (which isn't true in many cases) or would not be economic in terms of the work required versus the returns from the much smaller market.

In any case, I think you stand a much greater chance of progress if you seek out developers of existing Android and x86 emulators and ask them what it would take for them to port to Windows Phone. If they try to point out that it isn't technically possible, you should hold up EmiPSX as an example of an emulator (written by just one guy!) that proves fifth generation consoles can be emulated on Windows Phone and that methods other than DynaRec do exist (even if they'll never be as fast).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte