Why didn't Microsoft include battery percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
They probably didn't include battery percentage just because they thought the icon of the battery and how full it was would give you enough of an indication about how full it is. You can also check the battery percentage in the battery saver area in settings, but I agree, its something that they should probably put in, but for me, the icon is good enough. I will say though I have used the battery saver to check on the percentage when my samsung focus s had battery drain issues when wp 7.8 first came out.

gmlongo

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
It is such a crazy argument to say that "you dont need to know the actual % of your battery". Every person is different and many, MANY people want this feature. It is so simple to add or to at least offer the API so that 3rd party battery apps work correctly. When you are fighting tooth and nail for every user why you would offer an excuse not to buy WP is just beyond me. And the blind defense of this omission is just perplexing. It so reminds me of the days when Blackberry was loosing users every five minutes to the Iphone and those on crackberry would be like, "who needs apps?".

So you are saying that they should just add feature after feature because a few users want it? If they did that, the OS would be bombarded with so many features and configuration options that they would lose the design vision that separates it from other OSs. The appeal of Windows Phone is its simplicity and cleanliness. Add clutter, and that appeal disappears.

gmlongo

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
nothing strange, current set-up satisfies your needs, but battery % is one of the top requested features, so a lot of people still would like to have it. It seems like a pretty basic feature to cause such a huge debate over here.

Are you saying that you can not tell when you are running low on battery by using the current indicator? This smells like wanting a "feature" because you are used to having it, not because you actually need it.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If you have taken issue with my comment please explain.

I dont know do I have an issue with it, but for me thats not valid argument in anyways. Saying that all devices get decent battery life and thats the reason you dont need to see the accurate status does not make sense to me. Im a normal user, the word normal....... If you mean average user, ok. Maybe they dont even need the battery icon atall, because they always get full day out of their devices, but still many users dont. I had to change my Lumia 920 to Ativ-S so I can get a full day out my WP-device. I hate the fact that the battery icon shows ? even though you are 40% or something and theres a huge difference. All Lumia (WP) users know, that when you get down to the last 30% or something, it runs out very quickly.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Cause it's a well known issue that WP8 has problems with sudden battery drains. All OS's does, but at least you can pinpoint what caused it, here you just can't.

I would comment that battery drain doesn't fall within the "general rule" as a majority of users do not experience this issue. My personal experience is I have not had that issue with any Windows Phone I have used accept the Lumia 920. There wherewithal of that issue is a topic for another thread. Why try to stay on topic now?

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm saying:
1. I'd rather know the percentage than a visual estimate, there is no crime in that, just like there is no crime with you being satisfied with a visual estimate. One is satisfactory for you, the other is for me.
2. It's one of the top requested features, other platforms (stock arguments aside) have it, it doesn't hurt having it and should be pretty easy to implement, so it really doesn't matter what you think in terms of want vs. need, that's just a matter of perspective.
Are you saying that you can not tell when you are running low on battery by using the current indicator? This smells like wanting a "feature" because you are used to having it, not because you actually need it.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont know do I have an issue with it, but for me thats not valid argument in anyways. Saying that all devices get decent battery life and thats the reason you dont need to see the accurate status does not make sense to me. Im a normal user, the word normal....... If you mean average user, ok. Maybe they dont even need the battery icon atall, because they always get full day out of their devices, but still many users dont. I had to change my Lumia 920 to Ativ-S so I can get a full day out my WP-device. I hate the fact that the battery icon shows ? even though you are 40% or something and theres a huge difference. All Lumia (WP) users know, that when you get down to the last 30% or something, it runs out very quickly.

As you and others continue to take my comments out of context. I am not addressing battery drain, should we or shouldn't we have battery percentage. The OP asked why Microsoft left this out. My comments are to address that topic only. Try reading again my comments with that in your thoughts.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I think more than a few people want it. Why would they even put it in settings if it wasn't something of interest? Why make WP look like its behind even more than it is? As a WP user, im not going to turn away from WP because they don't show a battery life percentage, but if I were an Android or iOS user taking a quick glance at it, I would certainly consider it a shortcoming of the OS.

garment69

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
So you are saying that they should just add feature after feature because a few users want it? If they did that, the OS would be bombarded with so many features and configuration options that they would lose the design vision that separates it from other OSs. The appeal of Windows Phone is its simplicity and cleanliness. Add clutter, and that appeal disappears.

A few users? Lol. Go to the windows store and search for battery app live tile. Then tell me about how much of an infrequent request this is.

kmji1957

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually, any of those battery meters are not accurate at all (and I don't mean just phones). To get a real result, you have to measure

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I think people are just coming to the defense of the OS. I love my WP, but you have to be able to admit when something is wrong. I would guess it would take the developers on the WP team a few hours to add the percentage to the battery. That would include unit testing and all that fun stuff. MAYBE they thought that it wasn't necessary, but it is something that users like to see. They just do. Even if it doesn't make sense, the plethora of battery apps in the store point to a need for it. I have been asked multiple times why it doesn't show. People on this board who are strong supported of WP are disappointed in the lack of percentage.

If they had added it, all of the people saying they don't need it wouldn't be frustrated that it was there. The fact that they didn't add it IS frustrated the rest of us.

I highly doubt it drains the battery to have a battery display. It might be a better argument to say that there are too many patents around it and they were trying to avoid litigation.

halamadridkimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
i really miss battery percentage too, i go everytime to settings and from there to battery saver to see how much it is, it would be good if microsoft had them on settings so we wuld chose which one we want.. i have tried many battery apps to show on lockscreen but they are not good, just draining battery.. an option to enable battery % would be so awesome

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I think people are just coming to the defense of the OS. I love my WP, but you have to be able to admit when something is wrong. I would guess it would take the developers on the WP team a few hours to add the percentage to the battery. That would include unit testing and all that fun stuff. MAYBE they thought that it wasn't necessary, but it is something that users like to see. They just do. Even if it doesn't make sense, the plethora of battery apps in the store point to a need for it. I have been asked multiple times why it doesn't show. People on this board who are strong supported of WP are disappointed in the lack of percentage.

If they had added it, all of the people saying they don't need it wouldn't be frustrated that it was there. The fact that they didn't add it IS frustrated the rest of us.

I highly doubt it drains the battery to have a battery display. It might be a better argument to say that there are too many patents around it and they were trying to avoid litigation.

Since when are numbers patented? Lol

kmji1957

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
But my opinion is that, if your phone shows, lets say, 75% and you start your phone again and it shows then 85%, which one do you trust?

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Since when are numbers patented? Lol

With all the patent trolling like MS, Apple, Google, Samsung, and all of the smaller companies are doing, pretty much everything seems patentable. Maybe its not the number, maybe its the way the number sits over the battery image? Maybe is the font? Who the heck knows. Im just saying its not because it drains the battery.

yarvelling

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Nope..... the phone still keeps on going, showing maybe 12 hours before next charge (Lumia 925 with Black update).
When I first got the phone in December I was a little worried by the fast apparent draining of the battery, and kept on topping it up. Having read in some other parts of this forum about proper battery usage, i tried it...... let it discharge right down. Then fully charge. Let it then discharge all the way down again, and then recharge - repeat three or four times. This has worked for me; my battery will keep on going for 36 to 48 hours without needing recharging, and that's using it normally, and using the camera!
If the battery is 'trained' in such a way when the phone is first used, then battery life soon becomes a secondary concern. Thus, no need for a constant % display. If MS decide to implement that as an option in WP8.1, then that's fine - it's there if want it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo