So I was forced to leave WP8 and chose to go with Android (the relative unknown) over iOS (the known) by my company. Backstory here.

Here's what I've found myself missing from WP8 as I adapt to life with an Android. There will probably be some pleasant surprises too, but in these first few days it's mostly growing pains.

1) Really miss having an integrated (and free) podcasting solution in WP8. I bitched and moaned about the podcasting app in WP8 quite a lot since in many ways it's really lacking, but I under-estimated just how great it was having an integrated first-party solution in your OS. It's been maddening to shop for and buy various podcast app in the Google Play store. Yes, most of these apps are more full-featured than the WP8 version, but that doesn't change the fact that it's been ridiculous to have to shop for one and ultimately drop $3-$4 on one. Podcasting is by far my top use for my smartphone (I commute a lot) and not having at least a basic first-party app is insane. Choice is nice and I suspect I'll eventually become a power user on one of the Play options out there, but I shouldn't have to start there. Podcasts should be table stakes for a OS.

2) This isn't really a OS issue per se, but my HTC One doesn't have a glance screen and I miss that. It has a LED for notifications that I always asked for from MS, but having notifications on the glance screen are far better. My girlfriends Moto X has a limited version of this, but I don't think the One's S-LCD3 can handle that.

3) I HATE that Android forces me click "enter" after I key in my PIN to unlock my phone. On WP8 you punch in your 4 digits and the phone logs you in right away. On Android you enter your 4 digits and then have to click "Next" or Enter". That fifth click really becomes a form of Chinese water torture after a weekend. I do appreciate that Android has the pattern unlock option, though I still don't know if my companies security policy will allow me to keep that.

4) I miss being able to access media controls using the volume buttons, to pause a track or podcast from a locked device I need to hit the power button and then hit the pause button on screen. It's the same number of clicks but the power button placement is way less convenient than the volume rocker on this device. As a caveat, some Play apps aren't integrated into the lockscreen so you sometimes need to fully unlock you phone and pull up the app from multi-tacking which is horrible. I never found a WP8 app that wasn't integrated into the standard media controls.

5) I'm looking forward to testing out the music locker service that Google Play Music offers. This is potentially a massive advantage over the Xbox Music solution which requires a Xbox Music Pass to work.

6) Setting up the contacts in WP8 is much, much easier than in Android. Tough to pin this on one feature or interface, but generally speaking the process in WP is much more straightforward. Perhaps it's because Android has a concept of a local contact that's not cloud based.

7) Live tiles really are great. Super helpful.

8) Centralized notifications really are great. Super helpful.

9) I miss the Hub concept. I really never fully utilized it and MS has let it stagnate a lot, but with so many tasks in Android handled using separate apps I find that it would be extremely helpful here. For example I wish I could have a Media hub that somehow centralizes the Play Music app, Pandora, my podcast app, Youtube, ESPN radio and whatever else I end up using. The icon groups don't go far enough here. Ditto with Social.

10) There really is something to be said for having a consistent UI. I find myself constantly struggling to figure out how to get to "settings" in all the various apps I have to use in Android. WP isn't perfect in this regard, but it's as close as there is in the mobile OS space. Android isn't even consistent with itself. That said, the OneNote and SkyDrive apps aren't consistent on Android so MS inherited that bad habit.

I expect I'll find more as I go along.
    Gor Badoyan likes this.
    01-21-2014 04:25 PM
    This...is why I am going to stick with WP8.

So I was forced to leave WP8 and chose to go with Android (the relative unknown) over iOS (the known) by my company. Backstory here.

Here's what I've found myself missing from WP8 as I adapt to life with an Android. There will probably be some pleasant surprises too, but in these first few days it's mostly growing pains.

1) Really miss having an integrated (and free) podcasting solution in WP8. I bitched and moaned about the podcasting app in WP8 quite a lot since in many ways it's really lacking, but I under-estimated just how great it was having an integrated first-party solution in your OS. It's been maddening to shop for and buy various podcast app in the Google Play store. Yes, most of these apps are more full-featured than the WP8 version, but that doesn't change the fact that it's been ridiculous to have to shop for one and ultimately drop $3-$4 on one. Podcasting is by far my top use for my smartphone (I commute a lot) and not having at least a basic first-party app is insane. Choice is nice and I suspect I'll eventually become a power user on one of the Play options out there, but I shouldn't have to start there. Podcasts should be table stakes for a OS.

2) This isn't really a OS issue per se, but my HTC One doesn't have a glance screen and I miss that. It has a LED for notifications that I always asked for from MS, but having notifications on the glance screen are far better. My girlfriends Moto X has a limited version of this, but I don't think the One's S-LCD3 can handle that.

3) I HATE that Android forces me click "enter" after I key in my PIN to unlock my phone. On WP8 you punch in your 4 digits and the phone logs you in right away. On Android you enter your 4 digits and then have to click "Next" or Enter". That fifth click really becomes a form of Chinese water torture after a weekend. I do appreciate that Android has the pattern unlock option, though I still don't know if my companies security policy will allow me to keep that.

4) I miss being able to access media controls using the volume buttons, to pause a track or podcast from a locked device I need to hit the power button and then hit the pause button on screen. It's the same number of clicks but the power button placement is way less convenient than the volume rocker on this device. As a caveat, some Play apps aren't integrated into the lockscreen so you sometimes need to fully unlock you phone and pull up the app from multi-tacking which is horrible. I never found a WP8 app that wasn't integrated into the standard media controls.

5) I'm looking forward to testing out the music locker service that Google Play Music offers. This is potentially a massive advantage over the Xbox Music solution which requires a Xbox Music Pass to work.

6) Setting up the contacts in WP8 is much, much easier than in Android. Tough to pin this on one feature or interface, but generally speaking the process in WP is much more straightforward. Perhaps it's because Android has a concept of a local contact that's not cloud based.

7) Live tiles really are great. Super helpful.

8) Centralized notifications really are great. Super helpful.

9) I miss the Hub concept. I really never fully utilized it and MS has let it stagnate a lot, but with so many tasks in Android handled using separate apps I find that it would be extremely helpful here. For example I wish I could have a Media hub that somehow centralizes the Play Music app, Pandora, my podcast app, Youtube, ESPN radio and whatever else I end up using. The icon groups don't go far enough here. Ditto with Social.

10) There really is something to be said for having a consistent UI. I find myself constantly struggling to figure out how to get to "settings" in all the various apps I have to use in Android. WP isn't perfect in this regard, but it's as close as there is in the mobile OS space. Android isn't even consistent with itself. That said, the OneNote and SkyDrive apps aren't consistent on Android so MS inherited that bad habit.

I expect I'll find more as I go along.
    01-21-2014 07:33 PM
    what is #5, "locker service"?
    01-26-2014 11:11 AM
    This...is why I am going to stick with WP8.
    Same here. I'm sticking with my WP8 and will NEVER go back to Android. Or perhaps, Galaxy Note 3 can change my mind. But, it's still costly here in my country, so I'd probably buy a 1520 instead. Lol!
    01-26-2014 11:40 AM
    I want to do the switch
    04-28-2014 01:43 AM
    Boy, are you lucky. After reading your title I was going to jump your bones but after reading the post, I choose to give you kudos for taking the time to point out your view point.

I have the ICON and yes, it has some problems since the 8.1 update but I know they will be solved in the next few updates.

Is it possible to have a WP as your personal driver and just use the Android for business?
    04-28-2014 08:50 AM