Live tile spam...HELP, ads are being pinned to my start screen!

OhNokiaDidnt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I was an early adopter of WP7, and WP8. I currently have a Lumia 1020 on AT&T.

On Monday, I noticed that there was a tile pinned to the bottom of my start screen for a music album. I assumed that I had accidentally done it while browsing the marketplace or Nokia Mix Radio. I unpinned it and forgot about it. That is until a few days later, when I noticed another unwelcome tile pinned to the bottom of my start screen. This time it was a 2-sided tile advertising the upcoming moving "Ride Along." When I tapped it, it brought me to what seemed to be the Bing page for the movie. I am 100% certain that I did not accidentally pin this tile. In fact, I barely used my phone the day it happened.

This week I had only installed 2 new apps, both were paid apps which I purchased the full versions of, the apps were Cal (calendar app) and Amazing Weather HD. The only other apps I have (aside from the Nokia and Microsoft apps) are Rowi, Baconit, Trivia Buff, Amazon, eBay, IMDB, Facebook Beta, and Connectivity Shortcuts. I don't have any games.

I assume that one of two things is happening, and I am hoping someone can shed some light on it.

1)Microsoft or Nokia is pushing pinned tiles to customers (this would be a PR nightmare, and when I live chatted with Microsoft today they assured me this wasn't the case)

2)I have a rogue app that is looking for a little extra ad revenue, and is pinning tiles hoping no one will notice (I would assume this violates marketplace/developer policies, the live chat rep also thought this)

Below are screen shots of the most recent incident, I didn't get any of the music album before I deleted it.

cDbHdJ7.png

fx7V4YS.png

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Its probably one of your movie apps - in app tiles. MSFT or WP8 or Nokia does not pin spam, this isn't Android. If this thread leads to any sort of FUD, I'll come back to do what's needed. I'll give this one a benefit of doubt for now but rest assured, it is definitely not any store apps that automatically pin themselves and its not the OS either.

OhNokiaDidnt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The only movie app I have is imdb, and I don't have it pinned. In fact I keep my start screen to the basics, only about 15 tiles. I am savvy enough to only enable a live tile I truly want.

I should note that the live chat supervisor brought it to their technical engineer team, I have a verification email of that, and will update as I hear back. I am not sure what you meant by FUD.

I love my phone, and am a huge advocate of the WP8 platform and am a low level developer. I am not trying to be negative, I just feel like there may be an app doing this unsolicited, and want to get to the bottom of it...if you want me to investigate somewhere else I can, no harm intended, I have always trusted the users and content here and wanted the expertise. Sorry if it came across wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Do you use IE on the phone? I'm pretty sure you can (accidentally) ping web pages to home screen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Maybe ( worst case scenario ) your MSFT account could of been hacked? I know that far fetched but maybe if you did a proxy to install apps could the person on the other end use that to spam your home screen with tiles ? :eek:rly:

OhNokiaDidnt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe ( worst case scenario ) your MSFT account could of been hacked? I know that far fetched but maybe if you did a proxy to install apps could the person on the other end use that to spam your home screen with tiles ? :eek:rly:
Could be, but doubtful... I use two-factor authentication and the authenticator app.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I was able to replicate. Everybody, do this for the sake of experimentation; press search, swipe to movies, press Ride Along, press Pin to Start. That must've been what happened.

OhNokiaDidnt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
That is crazy!!!! Thanks for helping me figure it out. I never use the movie part of the search, I have a feeling my 2 year old must have gotten ahold of my phone. Much appreciated, I was pretty worked up thinking it was spam.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Its probably one of your movie apps - in app tiles. MSFT or WP8 or Nokia does not pin spam, this isn't Android. If this thread leads to any sort of FUD, I'll come back to do what's needed. I'll give this one a benefit of doubt for now but rest assured, it is definitely not any store apps that automatically pin themselves and its not the OS either.
Must be user error.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99