02-16-2014 01:06 PM
80 1234
tools
    So Lumia for the hardware and OS ? No.
    Phones soon (maybe) won't be called Lumia, they will have some MicroKia name or whatever.
    01-26-2014 07:40 PM
    I think windows phone is starting to get some recognition. Changing it at this point would only dilute the progress they have made in the market thus far, making them look weak to partners, competitors, and the mobile carriers, and make the Microsoft mobile strategy look like a total failure.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    01-27-2014 12:03 AM
    While I do agree Microsoft could've chosen a better name for Windows Phone, and perhaps rebranding their desktop OS when they transitioned to Windows 8 (to get rid of all the bad baggage with the Windows brand), it's too late now. They've been heavily campaigning for how great the new Windows is, and how Windows is now the one experience for everything in your life.

And while Windows does have some bad baggage, we mustn't forget his universally recognizable it is. When people hear or see Windows, they instantly know it's Microsoft. So yes, while it does have some bad baggage, I feel Microsoft is best sticking with changing peoples opinions about Windows, and moving forward from there.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-27-2014 12:16 AM
    *rolling eyes* no, it doesnt.

end
    01-27-2014 12:25 AM
    In a few more years, Windows will be Windows. There won't be a phone only version. It will just be one OS adapted to different devices. So calling it anything else will go completely against the grain of logic.

Abandoning the Windows name is not the way to fix reputation. Microsoft just needs to stick with it and make it cool. So far I think they've done a great job by embracing a completely modern approach to digital design. One that everyone else is now trying to duplicate. And they didn't go flat, just to go flat. They truly thought it out well. Unlike Apple with iOS 7.
    01-27-2014 12:53 AM
    I don't agree , windows is a powerful name recognizable by anyone
    So is Al-Qaida, just a silly example to prove a point.
    01-27-2014 12:58 AM
    So is Al-Qaida, just a silly example to prove a point.
    Kind of unnecessary...
    01-27-2014 01:24 AM
    This topic has been done to death already and the general consensus last time was "No, it doesn't"
    jmshub likes this.
    01-27-2014 02:40 AM
    They should have integrated Skype so deeply into this OS it could've been called "Skype Phone - every carrier's worst nightmare". Do eet ms.
    01-27-2014 03:25 AM
    I agree with the op, because when people hear windows phone, they think "crappy windows". I do think it needs a name change. Like you don't call the Xbox the Windows Console, right?

So for windows phone, I think they should actually call their OS Lumia, as the term "Lumia" is more popular than "Windows Phone".
    I don't agree. Everyone uses Windows PCs. Microsoft just gets a bad rep every time they bring out a terrible OS like Windows 8. Need Windows 9 asap.
    Blu3V3nom07 likes this.
    01-27-2014 03:43 AM
    I don't agree. Everyone uses Windows PCs. Microsoft just gets a bad rep every time they bring out a terrible OS like Windows 8. Need Windows 9 asap.
    Nothing wrong with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 just the people who don't know how to let go of the past. Also saying 'everyone' is a bit of a broad statement. I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't even touch Windows OS.

As for the name change, don't really see a need for it, it's an OS, call the phone whatever you want but the OS is fine as Windows Phone.
    01-27-2014 06:17 AM
    In a few more years, Windows will be Windows. There won't be a phone only version. It will just be one OS adapted to different devices. So calling it anything else will go completely against the grain of logic.

Abandoning the Windows name is not the way to fix reputation. Microsoft just needs to stick with it and make it cool. So far I think they've done a great job by embracing a completely modern approach to digital design. One that everyone else is now trying to duplicate. And they didn't go flat, just to go flat. They truly thought it out well. Unlike Apple with iOS 7.
    This.

Once Windows 9 comes out, the promise of "Windows Everywhere" will finally be a reality, not a technicality.
    01-27-2014 06:53 AM
    Most of people calls it a phone with Windows 8, it needs to be somehow more obvious, old people are terrible at learning new things.
    01-27-2014 06:56 AM
    Most of people calls it a phone with Windows 8, it needs to be somehow more obvious, old people are terrible at learning new things.
    I've had a lot of people say this about my phone. I have to stress the fact that it runs Windows Phone 8 all the time.

That said, Windows 9 will make this a reality, when I can finally stop correcting them and allow them to say that my phone runs Windows. (Heck, I'll make it a point to say that my phone runs the same OS as my desktop!)
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    01-27-2014 07:06 AM
    I like the idea of having a flagship phone like the Galaxy series that people can identify with. Hopefully, once MS acquisition with Nokia has gone through we will see such a device like the Microsoft Surface Phone. This will be updated yearly like the S1 S2 S3 S4. This will allow MS to build quality software and hardware together like an Apple device. Apple can push their hardware further because it is optimized with the software. Other OEM's will have the chance to build their own Windows Phone's without the Surface branding.
    01-27-2014 07:48 AM
    Nothing wrong with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 just the people who don't know how to let go of the past. Also saying 'everyone' is a bit of a broad statement. I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't even touch Windows OS.

As for the name change, don't really see a need for it, it's an OS, call the phone whatever you want but the OS is fine as Windows Phone.
    'Everyone' is a figure of speech. Windows 8 is rubbish, a simple task such as right clicking on My Computer and Properties becomes a mission.
    01-27-2014 08:06 AM
    ', a simple task such as right clicking on My Computer and Properties becomes a mission.
    that's an exaggeration.
    01-27-2014 08:12 AM
    'Everyone' is a figure of speech. Windows 8 is rubbish, a simple task such as right clicking on My Computer and Properties becomes a mission.
    Windows 8.1 is Awesome for touch screen devices. For a desktop not so much. I have found W8 to be just as great and stable as W7 but MS need to have the ability to disable metro and get the start button back to normal for those who don't have a touchscreen device to run it on, or those who prefer it, or enterprise/corporate users.
    01-27-2014 08:13 AM
    I have used both W8 and W8.1 since they came out. I've have no issues with either. I've been a Windows user since version 3. I think W8 is a great OS, it's fast, fluid and does everything I need and more. Sure it's not perfect but then I don't expect anything from MS to be.

I probably use Windows a lot differently than most people as well. I tend to use a lot of hotkeys.

Anyway, to each their own I guess. I hope W9 makes people more happy. I never understood the yells of anguish, especially over the Start button.
    01-27-2014 08:13 AM
    I have used both W8 and W8.1 since they came out. I've have no issues with either. I've been a Windows user since version 3. I think W8 is a great OS, it's fast, fluid and does everything I need and more. Sure it's not perfect but then I don't expect anything from MS to be.
    . I never understood the yells of anguish, especially over the Start button.
    I agree. Im very happy with w8.1.

I love the start screen and i dont think I can ever go back to the start menu, simply because it offers no advantage over the start screen. And I didn't miss the start button in w8.
    01-27-2014 08:18 AM
    I guess since Xbox is their "coolest" brand and they renamed they have already rebranded some of the common features to Xbox (like Xbox music), they could call it some thing like Xbox mobile or Xbox OS (which is probably what they call the Xbox's actual OS). The only other people who consider Windows to be cool are PC gamers.

On the other hand, it would just lead to MORE confusion. I think they should just leave it as WP and produce a better OS. OEMs need to provide better hardware. What MS could really do to help is start writing some useful and unique apps that don't exist on other operating systems. I know there are a few already, but they could do more. Live tiles are cool and all, but its really hard to sell people on them if they haven't been already.
    01-27-2014 08:58 AM
    Windows 8.1 is Awesome for touch screen devices. For a desktop not so much. I have found W8 to be just as great and stable as W7 but MS need to have the ability to disable metro and get the start button back to normal for those who don't have a touchscreen device to run it on, or those who prefer it, or enterprise/corporate users.
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I am very happy the Start menu is gone. You don't need a touch screen to use W8.

As for enterprise the issue will be to block access to certain Metro apps but I do wish some companies, like mine, would get into the future.
    01-27-2014 08:59 AM
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I am very happy the Start menu is gone. You don't need a touch screen to use W8.

As for enterprise the issue will be to block access to certain Metro apps but I do wish some companies, like mine, would get into the future.
    Really, it's not even the future. It's the present. The OS is more than a year old. Windows 7 is so 2009.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    01-27-2014 09:14 AM
    Really, it's not even the future. It's the present. The OS is more than a year old. Windows 7 is so 2009.
    My company just upgraded to Windows 7.... like most other large corporations. They waited until the last minute.
    01-27-2014 09:16 AM

While I appreciate your opinion I do believe the majority of desktop users and IT professionals would agree with me. I'm not saying get rid of Metro, or put the start menu back for everyone. If they would just add the options to disable Metro and add the start button back for the people that want it. With how popular Classic Shell is there are a lot of people that do want it. This gives you what you want, and also others what they want.

I have W8.1 on my Surface Pro and love it. It is stable and I barely have any issues at all with it. I installed 8.1 on a Virtual Machine on my desktop and HATED IT with a passion. The user experience is just not there on a desktop in my opinion. It is usable, but certainly not enjoyable.
    01-27-2014 09:19 AM
80 1234