Windows phone needs a name change

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well I hope the rumor comes true and that all Winodwses unite. One system (called "Windows") for all devices.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the op, because when people hear windows phone, they think "crappy windows". I do think it needs a name change. Like you don't call the Xbox the Windows Console, right?

So for windows phone, I think they should actually call their OS Lumia, as the term "Lumia" is more popular than "Windows Phone".

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the op, because when people hear windows phone, they think "crappy windows". I do think it needs a name change. Like you don't call the Xbox the Windows Console, right?

So for windows phone, I think they should actually call their OS Lumia, as the term "Lumia" is more popular than "Windows Phone".

Oke, but wat about Samsung and in the near future Sony?
Samsung Lumia???????? Sony Lumia????????????
It's already confusing first Windows Mobile.....and now Windows Phone.
And in the old day's WP stood for Word Perfect and for most people it stil does.

If i had a choise i would go for Windows Mobile NG

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think everything should operate using the "Live UI".

XBOX stays with XBOX name, but uses the Live UI
Windows stays with Windows name, but the "modern/metro" UI gets and official name as Live UI. It distinctly differentiates itself from traditional Windows UI.
Windows RT gets changed to Live OS
Windows Phone gets changes to Live OS (and ideally would really be the same under the hood as RT)

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Windows is the mother of all OS :p so I'd prefer calling it windows out of respect
But surface sounds good if people don't wanna surface it to the corner

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Surface phone sounds about the best to me. It sounds good to.
If they are dropping the Nokia name eventually Microsoft could have lots of phones like, Surface Mini, Surface XL, Surface D, Surface Icon, Sony etc don't even have to have the name in the title, Sony Viao Z. Its a Surface phone.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So for consoles: Xbox
For computers: (Windows) PCs
For phones: Lumias

What do you think?

I said this before in a different thread, it's basically:

Entertainment = Xbox
OS = Windows
Hardware = Surface

I am aware that Microsoft have hardware for the Xbox as well but that still falls under entertainment. Surface doesn't have a specific OS and services.

I disagree that Windows Phone needs a name change, it needs Microsoft to step up and advertise it more. This would remove the misconceptions that people have about Windows Phone just being Windows Mobile with a different "skin".

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Windows across all types of devices is supposed to be unified. Why would the phone have a different OS name than the tablet if they are ultimately going to be combined? It wouldn't really make sense. However, I do agree that the name Lumia (or Surface) needs to be marketed more and Windows maybe to a lesser extent. Lumia (or Surface) needs to be a recognized by people like Galaxy is for Samsung. People say "I have an iPhone 5S" or "I have a Galaxy S4." You don't hear them saying "I have an iOS phone" or "I have an Apple Phone" or "I have a Samsung Phone" and if they say "I have an Android phone" it is more likely to be from some lesser known company than from Samsung as most people identify the Samsungs as Galaxys.
So make Lumia or Surface a recognized brand; the OS for phones and tablets can simply be Windows while the OS for desktops can be Windows Pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb