Windows phone needs a name change

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If only Zune wasn't such a failure, it would have been a great brand for Microsoft consumer devices

The problem was that Zune didn't really mean anything, don't get me wrong I love my Zune HD and the desktop software but the name Zune didn't mean anything.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Oke, but wat about Samsung and in the near future Sony?
Samsung Lumia???????? Sony Lumia????????????
It's already confusing first Windows Mobile.....and now Windows Phone.
And in the old day's WP stood for Word Perfect and for most people it stil does.

If i had a choise i would go for Windows Mobile NG

We don't call current Lumias "Windows Phone 920, 1020, etc". We don't call it "Android One, S4, Z1, etc". So, yeah...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think windows phone is starting to get some recognition. Changing it at this point would only dilute the progress they have made in the market thus far, making them look weak to partners, competitors, and the mobile carriers, and make the Microsoft mobile strategy look like a total failure.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
While I do agree Microsoft could've chosen a better name for Windows Phone, and perhaps rebranding their desktop OS when they transitioned to Windows 8 (to get rid of all the bad baggage with the Windows brand), it's too late now. They've been heavily campaigning for how great the new Windows is, and how Windows is now the one experience for everything in your life.

And while Windows does have some bad baggage, we mustn't forget his universally recognizable it is. When people hear or see Windows, they instantly know it's Microsoft. So yes, while it does have some bad baggage, I feel Microsoft is best sticking with changing peoples opinions about Windows, and moving forward from there.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
In a few more years, Windows will be Windows. There won't be a phone only version. It will just be one OS adapted to different devices. So calling it anything else will go completely against the grain of logic.

Abandoning the Windows name is not the way to fix reputation. Microsoft just needs to stick with it and make it cool. So far I think they've done a great job by embracing a completely modern approach to digital design. One that everyone else is now trying to duplicate. And they didn't go flat, just to go flat. They truly thought it out well. Unlike Apple with iOS 7.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the op, because when people hear windows phone, they think "crappy windows". I do think it needs a name change. Like you don't call the Xbox the Windows Console, right?

So for windows phone, I think they should actually call their OS Lumia, as the term "Lumia" is more popular than "Windows Phone".

I don't agree. Everyone uses Windows PCs. Microsoft just gets a bad rep every time they bring out a terrible OS like Windows 8. Need Windows 9 asap.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't agree. Everyone uses Windows PCs. Microsoft just gets a bad rep every time they bring out a terrible OS like Windows 8. Need Windows 9 asap.

Nothing wrong with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 just the people who don't know how to let go of the past. Also saying 'everyone' is a bit of a broad statement. I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't even touch Windows OS.

As for the name change, don't really see a need for it, it's an OS, call the phone whatever you want but the OS is fine as Windows Phone.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
In a few more years, Windows will be Windows. There won't be a phone only version. It will just be one OS adapted to different devices. So calling it anything else will go completely against the grain of logic.

Abandoning the Windows name is not the way to fix reputation. Microsoft just needs to stick with it and make it cool. So far I think they've done a great job by embracing a completely modern approach to digital design. One that everyone else is now trying to duplicate. And they didn't go flat, just to go flat. They truly thought it out well. Unlike Apple with iOS 7.
This.

Once Windows 9 comes out, the promise of "Windows Everywhere" will finally be a reality, not a technicality.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Most of people calls it a phone with Windows 8, it needs to be somehow more obvious, old people are terrible at learning new things.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Most of people calls it a phone with Windows 8, it needs to be somehow more obvious, old people are terrible at learning new things.
I've had a lot of people say this about my phone. I have to stress the fact that it runs Windows Phone 8 all the time.

That said, Windows 9 will make this a reality, when I can finally stop correcting them and allow them to say that my phone runs Windows. (Heck, I'll make it a point to say that my phone runs the same OS as my desktop!)

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of having a flagship phone like the Galaxy series that people can identify with. Hopefully, once MS acquisition with Nokia has gone through we will see such a device like the Microsoft Surface Phone. This will be updated yearly like the S1 S2 S3 S4. This will allow MS to build quality software and hardware together like an Apple device. Apple can push their hardware further because it is optimized with the software. Other OEM's will have the chance to build their own Windows Phone's without the Surface branding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos