Windows phone needs a name change

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Nothing wrong with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 just the people who don't know how to let go of the past. Also saying 'everyone' is a bit of a broad statement. I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't even touch Windows OS.

As for the name change, don't really see a need for it, it's an OS, call the phone whatever you want but the OS is fine as Windows Phone.

'Everyone' is a figure of speech. Windows 8 is rubbish, a simple task such as right clicking on My Computer and Properties becomes a mission.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
'Everyone' is a figure of speech. Windows 8 is rubbish, a simple task such as right clicking on My Computer and Properties becomes a mission.

Windows 8.1 is Awesome for touch screen devices. For a desktop not so much. I have found W8 to be just as great and stable as W7 but MS need to have the ability to disable metro and get the start button back to normal for those who don't have a touchscreen device to run it on, or those who prefer it, or enterprise/corporate users.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have used both W8 and W8.1 since they came out. I've have no issues with either. I've been a Windows user since version 3. I think W8 is a great OS, it's fast, fluid and does everything I need and more. Sure it's not perfect but then I don't expect anything from MS to be.

I probably use Windows a lot differently than most people as well. I tend to use a lot of hotkeys.

Anyway, to each their own I guess. I hope W9 makes people more happy. I never understood the yells of anguish, especially over the Start button.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I have used both W8 and W8.1 since they came out. I've have no issues with either. I've been a Windows user since version 3. I think W8 is a great OS, it's fast, fluid and does everything I need and more. Sure it's not perfect but then I don't expect anything from MS to be.
. I never understood the yells of anguish, especially over the Start button.
I agree. Im very happy with w8.1.

I love the start screen and i dont think I can ever go back to the start menu, simply because it offers no advantage over the start screen. And I didn't miss the start button in w8.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I guess since Xbox is their "coolest" brand and they renamed they have already rebranded some of the common features to Xbox (like Xbox music), they could call it some thing like Xbox mobile or Xbox OS (which is probably what they call the Xbox's actual OS). The only other people who consider Windows to be cool are PC gamers.

On the other hand, it would just lead to MORE confusion. I think they should just leave it as WP and produce a better OS. OEMs need to provide better hardware. What MS could really do to help is start writing some useful and unique apps that don't exist on other operating systems. I know there are a few already, but they could do more. Live tiles are cool and all, but its really hard to sell people on them if they haven't been already.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8.1 is Awesome for touch screen devices. For a desktop not so much. I have found W8 to be just as great and stable as W7 but MS need to have the ability to disable metro and get the start button back to normal for those who don't have a touchscreen device to run it on, or those who prefer it, or enterprise/corporate users.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I am very happy the Start menu is gone. You don't need a touch screen to use W8.

As for enterprise the issue will be to block access to certain Metro apps but I do wish some companies, like mine, would get into the future.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I am very happy the Start menu is gone. You don't need a touch screen to use W8.

As for enterprise the issue will be to block access to certain Metro apps but I do wish some companies, like mine, would get into the future.

Really, it's not even the future. It's the present. The OS is more than a year old. Windows 7 is so 2009.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

While I appreciate your opinion I do believe the majority of desktop users and IT professionals would agree with me. I'm not saying get rid of Metro, or put the start menu back for everyone. If they would just add the options to disable Metro and add the start button back for the people that want it. With how popular Classic Shell is there are a lot of people that do want it. This gives you what you want, and also others what they want.

I have W8.1 on my Surface Pro and love it. It is stable and I barely have any issues at all with it. I installed 8.1 on a Virtual Machine on my desktop and HATED IT with a passion. The user experience is just not there on a desktop in my opinion. It is usable, but certainly not enjoyable.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
5 years later..........
My grandma asks me, son what is it that runs on your mobile?
Me: windows one.
But what about your computer?
Me: well all of my devices run the same OS windows One now.

Seems to probably occur after skydrive rebranding to Onedrive.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I disagree with calling Windows Phone Lumia. I have a HTC 8X so I do not call my phone a Lumia. Don't call it Lumia sounds stupid.

Windows is good. I like windows. The name windows is refreshing because when inside of a house and you open a window you get that fresh breath of air. Feels good.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
You can look at how HTC manages with its HTC One X and HTC One and HTC One Max, and let's see what's next ;-)

You're right. OneNote and OneDrive aren't things that will ever get "new" versions, just updates, so that just leaves the actual devices.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Console = xBox
Phone = xPhone (as opposed to iPhone), also like X-Men - something new, evolved
Tablet = xPad - ^^
PC = who uses them anymore anyways? ;)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Console = xBox
Phone = xPhone (as opposed to iPhone), also like X-Men - something new, evolved
Tablet = xPad - ^^
PC = who uses them anymore anyways? ;)

Why is it that everyone thinks that just because Microsoft created the Xbox that all their products should have an X in front of it!!

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The name...means nothing, the users experience however means everything. Microsoft should rather just market it more....the Windows phone challenge was an excellent idea they should do again. The user saw the phones potential buy being used buy an experienced wp user and then got to try it out for them self, giving them a proper taste of what wp has to offer...also I'd like to swap my hunk of junk android for a lumia 920. Who cares, ill lose the wp challenge and hand over my droid, just give me my 920

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett