Windows phone needs a name change

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
To be honest I think its a little late to change the name now. People are just starting to take notice, don't know if we should confuse them more.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
because it's f'in cool and actually makes more sense than "windows" phone?

No, it's not "cool". Just because Apple put an i in front of their products it doesn't mean Microsoft need an x in front of theirs. So you're saying this looks cool then:

xWindows
xOffice
xOneDrive
xOneNote
xSocl
xSurface
xXbox

Aside from the copyright issues surrounding xWindows, Linux has the X Windowing system, adding an x in front of the names just looks crap!!

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
No, it's not "cool". Just because Apple put an i in front of their products it doesn't mean Microsoft need an x in front of theirs. So you're saying this looks cool then:

xWindows
xOffice
xOneDrive
xOneNote
xSocl
xSurface
xXbox

Aside from the copyright issues surrounding xWindows, Linux has the X Windowing system, adding an x in front of the names just looks crap!!

hardware-wise.. OneNote and OneDrive etc makes sense because it IS THE ONE mutual to all devices

also, isn't cool rather subjective thing? ;)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
hardware-wise.. OneNote and OneDrive etc makes sense because it IS THE ONE mutual to all devices

also, isn't cool rather subjective thing? ;)

It is subjective but Windows Phone doesn't need a name change, it's fine the way it is.

Microsoft just need the "Dare to Live" tour to advertise it again, that alone seemed to change the perception people have of Windows Phone!!

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Nah, the name "Windows" shouldn't change. If they change Windows, they'd better change Microsoft while they're at it. It's to big a name. Brings up some negative associations born in the nineties/zeroes (buggy, crashes and stuff), but also the positive associations like customization, the system for average Joe and stuff like that.
I actually really like the play between Windows - One - Objects (like a box or a surface). If they make a Surface One and a Surface Phone One, everything is complete:

You need a tablet or a phone? Then you need a Surface (physical object). This Surface will have Windows on it (nice symbolism). You should also buy a (X)Box with Windows on it. You don't need anything else, just the One tablet, One phone, One box. It's also obvious that these One Devices come with OneNote and OneDrive.
Now for Bing... I don't see how that can fit in anywhere name-wise :p

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I really like the name Windows. They really just need to jump ahead 16 months from now, Windows 9 Phone, and we'll all be very happy. UI changes and all. But le sigh, no.

But that's okay. :)

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In a few more years, Windows will be Windows. There won't be a phone only version. It will just be one OS adapted to different devices. So calling it anything else will go completely against the grain of logic.

Abandoning the Windows name is not the way to fix reputation. Microsoft just needs to stick with it and make it cool. So far I think they've done a great job by embracing a completely modern approach to digital design. One that everyone else is now trying to duplicate. And they didn't go flat, just to go flat. They truly thought it out well. Unlike Apple with iOS 7.

Spot on.

I actually like the Lumia brand. Hopefully Microsoft continue with it, rather than go for, say, Surface.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is still Windows, so it's irrelevant to change the name of the OS unless 'Windows' is changed. But that isn't bound to happen. Microsoft has started the One Microsoft strategy, which means better integrated Microsoft services across devices for the consumers, and it's already happening with Bing, Office 365, and Xbox Music being available on all Microsoft devices, as well on other platforms. The average consumer may only be starting to see this change with Microsoft, and this change also shifted their status from being the most 'evil' company to being the 'most trusted' (Apple May Be Cool, But Microsoft Most Trusted by Consumers: Study | SiteProNews) considering Microsoft is popularly known by their Windows OS.

The way I see it, Windows and Windows Phone will keep the incremental naming.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone is still Windows, so it's irrelevant to change the name of the OS unless 'Windows' is changed. But that isn't bound to happen. Microsoft has started the One Microsoft strategy, which means better integrated Microsoft services across devices for the consumers, and it's already happening with Bing, Office 365, and Xbox Music being available on all Microsoft devices, as well on other platforms. The average consumer may only be starting to see this change with Microsoft, and this change also shifted their status from being the most 'evil' company to being the 'most trusted' (Apple May Be Cool, But Microsoft Most Trusted by Consumers: Study | SiteProNews) considering Microsoft is popularly known by their Windows OS.

The way I see it, Windows and Windows Phone will keep the incremental naming.

Microsoft will unify Windows Phone and Windows RT in a new OS that will be used in phones and tablets, and I suppose It won't have the desktop interface. They will spend 20% or more of the development time just thinking about the name, because every option they could chose would generate some level of confusion.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft will unify Windows Phone and Windows RT in a new OS that will be used in phones and tablets, and I suppose It won't have the desktop interface. They will spend 20% or more of the development time just thinking about the name, because every option they could chose would generate some level of confusion.
just the unification of the platform will make Windows strong on the mobile or tablet environment

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99