Microsoft brings Bing Rewards to Android and iOS but Not Windows Phone

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
This kind of announcement just makes it easier to switch to Android or iOS. From day one of owning a Windows Phone I knew it would be a mistake to become immersed in its app and media stores, they could be shut down at any moment if Microsoft decides it has to abandon WP. I actually kind of appreciate Microsoft making the choice easier.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to see the issues with WP. Microsoft may pull the same old trick. Start something they never back and switch to supplying software and apps for the other guy, leave WP all together. Most app developers I have contacted say WP just has no sales to back the app being developed for WP. That bites!

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
With the glacial rate of updates do you really think that will be the best option?

You're still completely missing the point. We can have Bing Rewards integrated directly into the search button on our Windows Phone devices. No apps required. Is that not better than anything iOS or Android are offered?

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't work for me as it tells me to Sign In. When I do, it just takes me to the MS Account page. It will only work using the desktop version like HeyCori stated.

Just double checked to be sure and I'm set to "Mobile", it works on WP7.8 at least. Sign in to the Rewards dashboard. Then in the browser go to Bing.Com and search for stuff, I'm seeing my points go up as I do a few searches.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I think we will all end up as Android users eventually and its my least favorite OS. Apple is also declining worldwide. People like free crap even if it means you get lag and data mining as a trade off.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia 1520 (RM-937)

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
So how cool are these rewards, really? I'm Dutch, so I stopped telling myself I'll ever be able to earn them, but what am I missing? Do you actually use them and are they rewarding?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
So how cool are these rewards, really? I'm Dutch, so I stopped telling myself I'll ever be able to earn them, but what am I missing? Do you actually use them and are they rewarding?

I use the Bing Rewards in browser, end up with a $5 Amazon gift card every month or two. 99.9% of my searches go through Bing, it pops up a couple little specials every day to go click on, and I usually just check out the home page clicks (the fancy little hovering invisible squares) and the news links on the bottom.

I originally started using it when it was Live Search, they had a program then, I ended up getting around $500 cash discounts through that (would go to website like eBay and if you were signed it would offer up to 30% off).

Instead of Amazon it could be Starbucks, Xbox Live, Hulu Plus, Redbox, etc.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Just double checked to be sure and I'm set to "Mobile", it works on WP7.8 at least. Sign in to the Rewards dashboard. Then in the browser go to Bing.Com and search for stuff, I'm seeing my points go up as I do a few searches.

On my 928 it actually redirects me to integrated search (I remember the web version of Bing you describe but it won't let me see it).

I doubt it. I truly believe, apple will be taking most of our dollars. If MSFT give up on WP.

I would probably end up on Apple, the marginally better hardware of Android isn't worth going back to that clunker of an OS.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Mary Jo Foley: "just following the standards of business" -MS goes where they'll get the most revenue first.

Standards of a separate business. If they want WP to produce revenue for them in the future, they better stop taking their user base for granted.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Mary Jo Foley: "just following the standards of business" -MS goes where they'll get the most revenue first.

MS is not short of cash, not by a long run, and it's not like the Bing division will suddenly hit profitability by releasing on Android/iOS now. A few more quarters holding off while the same functionality is readied for WP would not have hurt anyone.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
MS is not short of cash, not by a long run, and it's not like the Bing division will suddenly hit profitability by releasing on Android/iOS now. A few more quarters holding off while the same functionality is readied for WP would not have hurt anyone.

TThat's not how businesses run though. Any business would do the SAME exact thing. It's the standards of business "go where you'll get the most $$ first."
I would do the same exact thing if I had my own business/product.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Separate companies run that way.

But if products or services are produced by the same company they are EXPECTED to be compatible. They are expected to work best together.

Sony wouldn't make their stereos work best with Samsung TVs first before making sure they work best with Sony TVs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3