Why no flagship Windows Phone for 2013 or Is Microsoft OEMs moving too slow?

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Every year, we get a new iPhone. Every year we get a new Galaxy S, HTC One, LG, Nexus, and other flagship Android phones. But Nokia skipped 2013 altogether. The 1520 was a flagship type, but at 6", it's fully in the phablet category and not mainstream. The 1020 had a great camera but was basically a 920 otherwise. The Icon appears to have flagship specs but it never came out in 2013. After 2012 saw the 920 and 8X, we mostly had upgrades of those in 2013. Is MS and their OEMs moving too slow if we don't get a flagship every year?

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Do we really need a flagship every year?

Are you a fan of old technology? Also windows phone is in a distant third place. They HAVE to release a new flagship phone each year to move forward or maybe this reveals how little they really care about the mobile market.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Do we really need a flagship every year?

I would say that not having a standard flagship phone and no OS update is what dropped Nokia from 8.8 million sold down to 8.2 in the last two quarters.

Mobile World Congress is only a few weeks ago. Microsoft probably has a few surprises up its sleeve.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Its not that im a fan of old technology. I just prefer my $500 phones to last a few years before having to upgrade.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
That's actually a lot, tho I'm ready to pay that much for a phone. Payed 345€ for my N8, and L1520 costs 495€ (w/o contract, sim free) on the same site.

And about the flagship phones, I agree, Nokia/MS really needs to step up, or they're gonna lose even this slight attention they gained.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
They were waiting for Windows Phone 8.1.

The 1520 was there to take advantage of Update 3, which technically makes it a flagship, but its size renders it more of a niche device.

The 1020 is Nokia's imaging flagship, a follow-up to the 808, and was designed to take advantage of GDR2/Update 2, but is another niche device.

The 920 was a flagship, but it released in 2012!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
By the way, it is a Nokia tradition to have multiple flagships (see N8/C7/E7 trio) with different feature sets, resulting in us seeing quite a lot of "flagships" last year, but not a single 920 successor.

They couldn't release them all at the same time, though, simply because it wasn't viable to do so, resulting in them spacing the releases out.
(Yes, they released the N8, the E7 and the C7 at the same time, because they could)

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
On an individual level, no. To keep customers interested in your platform, yes

Exactly! It's becoming very hard to even recommend a 920 or even a 1020 at this point. The phones are getting old especially spec wise, and new people are just not going to bite. But for us who have last year's flagships, it doesn't make a huge difference since we will be getting updates anyway

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion. The specs doesn't have to be top notch for the platform although better hardware is good but if the software is not as great as the other platforms then its pointless. It's all about user experience and I think Microsoft is doing a decent job, hell they are doing a good job at the moment considering they are playing catch up and not just throwing around features or gimmicks expecting it to happen. It may be slow and dreadful but Windows Phone is young. Don't start on me on WP7 or WMobile.

Lets hope our platform grows in user base and not worry about apps or notification centers or file managers. Every OS is not perfect but I like where WP is heading to... The Metro UI and Simplicity of Tiles, and. I. Like. It.

P.s. Actually I went a bit off topic but yeah. Lol

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I love how you all talk about specs and what's getting old or falling behind like the average consumer knows or cares about any of this. This spec war is exactly what's wrong with OEMs today. Although I hate Apple products with a passion, business-wise Apple is - I should say Steve Jobs was - smart. They understand people don't care about specs. The average consumer wants a status symbol. Why is the Samsung Galaxy S4 successful? Is it because of that Snapdragon 800 processor? No, it's because it's a status symbol! How on Earth does the Apple iPhone manage to sell so many devices every year when it is technologically inferior? Because its a status symbol!

It takes years to create a status symbol, but if Nokia keeps differentiating their phones long enough, Windows Phone will eventually take second or even first spot. When the first Android devices were released, people thought it was just a copy of iOS. To be honest, it kind of was. However, it succeeded for two major reasons. One, these devices were cheaper than iPhones. Two, they were different. Windows Phones may never be able to hit the exact price points of Android devices, - unless Microsoft really does waive licensing fees altogether - but they've already hit one mark.

They're so different to the point that this difference is noticeable. "Curiosity killed the cat", as they say. Curiosity sparks interest. Most people are followers, and so may never venture from Android devices and iPhones on their own. However, the (social) leaders of the world will always look for something to set themselves apart. Once they've moved to Windows Phones, everyone else will follow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers