Danger of over charging?

Alexandre_Silva

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
If by 'overcharging' you mean leaving the phone on the charger too long, then no. You can't overcharge a battery that way. Either the charger or the phone has a gizmo in it to stop charging when the battery is full. If you charged it with a higher voltage than the regular phone charger then it could get overcharged and damage the battery.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
So... I only charge my phone when I am asleep, that is after midnight. And I pull out the cord after I wake up. I always fear that I may have overcharged it (for nearly six hours). Do you guys mean it won't do any harm to the battery?

I cant wake myslef in midnights to just pull out the cord.. :3

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Once the battery is charged to 100%, the charging stops automatically. It won't keep charging your battery post 100%. I have kept my phone charging overnight several times but nothing happens. So there is nothing to worry about.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Once the battery is charged to 100%, the charging stops automatically. It won't keep charging your battery post 100%. I have kept my phone charging overnight several times but nothing happens. So there is nothing to worry about.

I don't know if that's 100% true, the charging may stop but there is a trickle that happens continuously. I thought it was common knowledge that unplugging a charger when your battery is full extends battery life, but maybe I've been believing a lie for many years.

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if that's 100% true, the charging may stop but there is a trickle that happens continuously. I thought it was common knowledge that unplugging a charger when your battery is full extends battery life, but maybe I've been believing a lie for many years.

Yes I want this addressed too, for sure at that.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The 1st 920 I had got the battery swollen up, thanks to NOKIA Care I got it replaced. I always thought it was due to overnight charging, now it seems like I had a defective model.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Yes I want this addressed too, for sure at that.

You can't overcharge your battery. If this was a problem, they would note it in the owners manual or on your phone, or the fast start guide..

Keep in mind, no matter how careful you are with your battery usage, after about a year and a half it will have about 80% of it's original capacity. At three years it will have 50% or less of it's original capacity

NickG92

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone charges the phone to 100% then it stops charging and wait's for the battery to go down to 97% to start charging again, and this happens over and over again.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
When I travel I usually leave my phone on the wireless charger overnight so it will be ready in the morning. You can see the charging plate led cycle once the battery is at 100%. So the phone/battery combination knows when it reaches full charge.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
If I charge over 100%, what happens? Is this safe or dangerous if it happens often?

OK, everyone needs to learn that you won't damage your battery by charging it whenever. If you let it constantly run down, and then charge up, you are over stressing the battery, and that ends up doing more damage than you think you're stopping. I put my phone on the charger at 90% for 8 hours when I sleep. I have only noticed a decrease in battery life after I updated to the GDR3 Preview. Get a grip and stop following these ridiculous tech tips. YOUR PHONE WILL BE FINE IF YOU CHARGE IT BEFORE IT GOES TO ZERO.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You can't overcharge your battery. If this was a problem, they would note it in the owners manual or on your phone, or the fast start guide..

Keep in mind, no matter how careful you are with your battery usage, after about a year and a half it will have about 80% of it's original capacity. At three years it will have 50% or less of it's original capacity

Which is why I hate sealed batteries. If I have a phone I want to keep for several years, the average consumer needs to have it sent off to get it worked on once holding a charge becomes a problem. Most will just get a new phone.

Just evil. Good business model, but evil.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Which is why I hate sealed batteries. If I have a phone I want to keep for several years, the average consumer needs to have it sent off to get it worked on once holding a charge becomes a problem. Most will just get a new phone.

Just evil. Good business model, but evil.
I used to feel the same way. However, the only device I had where the battery failed after a little over a year was a BlackBerry 9000, which had a removable battery.

I also have a friend who still uses an iPhone 4S he got back in October 2011, and it has not had battery issues.

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I used to feel the same way. However, the only device I had where the battery failed after a little over a year was a BlackBerry 9000, which had a removable battery.

I also have a friend who still uses an iPhone 4S he got back in October 2011, and it has not had battery issues.

Speaking of that, I have an iPad 2 from September 2011 with no issues battery wise. So it really depends. And quite often I drain my iPad battery to zero.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of that, I have an iPad 2 from September 2011 with no issues battery wise. So it really depends. And quite often I drain my iPad battery to zero.
We have an original iPad in my house which I bought in April 2010. It's now basically a toy for our three year old and was a great potty training tool, with still great battery life.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Just wanna know how you came to know about swollen battery ??

That was one of the horrible days with the 920, the camera panel started bulging out from bottom, i 1st though it was a bad glue, but then **** happened, the front screen started bulging and by the time i gave it to nokia care, its screen was bent, like the lg g flex(but outwards).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)