02-04-2014 01:21 AM
31 12
tools
    If I charge over 100%, what happens? Is this safe or dangerous if it happens often?
    02-01-2014 05:07 AM
    If by 'overcharging' you mean leaving the phone on the charger too long, then no. You can't overcharge a battery that way. Either the charger or the phone has a gizmo in it to stop charging when the battery is full. If you charged it with a higher voltage than the regular phone charger then it could get overcharged and damage the battery.
    02-01-2014 05:22 AM
    Nothing to worry about
    02-01-2014 05:42 AM
    Yeap, battery technology has come a long way. They're "Smarter" batteries nowadays.
    02-01-2014 06:07 AM
    So... I only charge my phone when I am asleep, that is after midnight. And I pull out the cord after I wake up. I always fear that I may have overcharged it (for nearly six hours). Do you guys mean it won't do any harm to the battery?

I cant wake myslef in midnights to just pull out the cord.. :3
    02-01-2014 08:17 AM
    Once the battery is charged to 100%, the charging stops automatically. It won't keep charging your battery post 100%. I have kept my phone charging overnight several times but nothing happens. So there is nothing to worry about.
    02-01-2014 08:22 AM
    Once the battery is charged to 100%, the charging stops automatically. It won't keep charging your battery post 100%. I have kept my phone charging overnight several times but nothing happens. So there is nothing to worry about.
    I don't know if that's 100% true, the charging may stop but there is a trickle that happens continuously. I thought it was common knowledge that unplugging a charger when your battery is full extends battery life, but maybe I've been believing a lie for many years.
    02-01-2014 08:26 AM
    I don't know if that's 100% true, the charging may stop but there is a trickle that happens continuously. I thought it was common knowledge that unplugging a charger when your battery is full extends battery life, but maybe I've been believing a lie for many years.
    Yes I want this addressed too, for sure at that.
    02-01-2014 08:51 AM
    The 1st 920 I had got the battery swollen up, thanks to NOKIA Care I got it replaced. I always thought it was due to overnight charging, now it seems like I had a defective model.
    02-01-2014 09:02 AM
    Yes I want this addressed too, for sure at that.
    You can't overcharge your battery. If this was a problem, they would note it in the owners manual or on your phone, or the fast start guide..

Keep in mind, no matter how careful you are with your battery usage, after about a year and a half it will have about 80% of it's original capacity. At three years it will have 50% or less of it's original capacity
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-2014 09:35 AM
    The 1st 920 I had got the battery swollen up, thanks to NOKIA Care I got it replaced. I always thought it was due to overnight charging, now it seems like I had a defective model.
    Just wanna know how you came to know about swollen battery ??
    etad putta likes this.
    02-01-2014 09:55 AM
    I always remove my charger from my phone after an hour (fully charge). I do not leave it overnight.
    02-01-2014 04:54 PM
    Windows Phone charges the phone to 100% then it stops charging and wait's for the battery to go down to 97% to start charging again, and this happens over and over again.
    palandri likes this.
    02-01-2014 07:28 PM
    When I travel I usually leave my phone on the wireless charger overnight so it will be ready in the morning. You can see the charging plate led cycle once the battery is at 100%. So the phone/battery combination knows when it reaches full charge.
    02-01-2014 08:44 PM
    If I charge over 100%, what happens? Is this safe or dangerous if it happens often?
    OK, everyone needs to learn that you won't damage your battery by charging it whenever. If you let it constantly run down, and then charge up, you are over stressing the battery, and that ends up doing more damage than you think you're stopping. I put my phone on the charger at 90% for 8 hours when I sleep. I have only noticed a decrease in battery life after I updated to the GDR3 Preview. Get a grip and stop following these ridiculous tech tips. YOUR PHONE WILL BE FINE IF YOU CHARGE IT BEFORE IT GOES TO ZERO.
    02-01-2014 09:29 PM
    You can't overcharge your battery. If this was a problem, they would note it in the owners manual or on your phone, or the fast start guide..

Keep in mind, no matter how careful you are with your battery usage, after about a year and a half it will have about 80% of it's original capacity. At three years it will have 50% or less of it's original capacity
    Which is why I hate sealed batteries. If I have a phone I want to keep for several years, the average consumer needs to have it sent off to get it worked on once holding a charge becomes a problem. Most will just get a new phone.

Just evil. Good business model, but evil.
    02-02-2014 01:34 AM
    Which is why I hate sealed batteries. If I have a phone I want to keep for several years, the average consumer needs to have it sent off to get it worked on once holding a charge becomes a problem. Most will just get a new phone.

Just evil. Good business model, but evil.
    I used to feel the same way. However, the only device I had where the battery failed after a little over a year was a BlackBerry 9000, which had a removable battery.

I also have a friend who still uses an iPhone 4S he got back in October 2011, and it has not had battery issues.
    02-02-2014 01:51 AM
    I used to feel the same way. However, the only device I had where the battery failed after a little over a year was a BlackBerry 9000, which had a removable battery.

I also have a friend who still uses an iPhone 4S he got back in October 2011, and it has not had battery issues.
    Speaking of that, I have an iPad 2 from September 2011 with no issues battery wise. So it really depends. And quite often I drain my iPad battery to zero.
    02-02-2014 02:09 AM
    Speaking of that, I have an iPad 2 from September 2011 with no issues battery wise. So it really depends. And quite often I drain my iPad battery to zero.
    We have an original iPad in my house which I bought in April 2010. It's now basically a toy for our three year old and was a great potty training tool, with still great battery life.
    02-02-2014 02:29 AM
    Just wanna know how you came to know about swollen battery ??
    That was one of the horrible days with the 920, the camera panel started bulging out from bottom, i 1st though it was a bad glue, but then **** happened, the front screen started bulging and by the time i gave it to nokia care, its screen was bent, like the lg g flex(but outwards).
    akshaypn likes this.
    02-02-2014 03:51 AM
    Here's a link about charging a lithium phone battery. It's talking about Apple. I didn't find a Nokia or HTC article doing a quick search, but it's the same:

Can You Overcharge Your iPhone Battery? Can You Overcharge Your iPhone Battery? | eHow
    02-02-2014 07:35 AM
    well i got the 520 for a few months now,i always charge it at night while im sleeping,in the morning when i wake up the battery is full and device is cold-if the device was hot it would be a clue of overcharging,so nothing to worry about. :)
    palandri likes this.
    02-02-2014 07:53 AM
    well i got the 520 for a few months now,i always charge it at night while im sleeping,in the morning when i wake up the battery is full and device is cold-if the device was hot it would be a clue of overcharging,so nothing to worry about. :)
    ^^ What he said
    02-02-2014 07:55 AM
    Overcharging can lead to a state where your phone does not run. Then, simply not charging for 24 hours usually fixes the problem. I have observed this issue on devices left on their charger for 2-3 days.
    02-02-2014 08:10 AM
    Okay, I'm an electrical engineering major in school so I can explain this. LiON batteries and LiPO batteries have charging circuits that prevent them from being overcharged AND drained (as in, the phone will leave some charge left in the battery when it is so low that the phone turns off as to not damage the battery). Overcharging does not hurt the battery in the sense that you are putting too much current and voltage into it as much as the phone will keep charging the battery over and over again. What that means is that the phone will charge the battery to 100%, the battery will naturally discharge over time, whether the phone is on or not, and lets say the manufactures have it set to charge the battery when it gets to 90% capacity again, and then it will start charging again. So basically, when you have your phone constantly plugged in, it will charge and discharge and repeat this over and over again if its full. This will eventually kill the battery life as LiON batteries have a certain amount of charge cycles in their lifetime. The average LiON battery will usually last about 1-1/2 to 2 years in general. Unfortunately, battery technology is the limiting factor in all mobile devices and its the one technology that has not advanced anywhere as fast as other technologies. I mean, the last breakthrough was LiON and that was in the 90's. WE NEED NEW BATTERY TECHNOLOGIES!!!!!
    boovish, jfa1, krox1105 and 1 others like this.
    02-02-2014 01:09 PM
31 12