windows phone should allow user assigned gestures

wp_cb

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
windows phone should contain a defined set of gestures (or let people create them like "picture password") and allow users to assign shortcuts to them. personally i would love to see gestures enabled on windows phone, but they could be easily left inactive in settings for those that do not want to use them. microsoft could also reserve certain gestures to be consistent with window os if they so choose.

i often use my phone one handed and depending on the size of the phone i would find swiping from the top, or the left side, of the phone to be cumbersome. that said i know it is personal preference. personally i would love to be able to use the bottom swipe for several functions. swipe up for notifications (assuming a notification centre is on the way), swipe up and right, like blackberry, for shortcuts (assuming a shortcut list is on the way), swipe up and left for multitasking / app switching.

thoughts?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
We're hoping this gesture-based way of working will make it into the 8.1 update due later this year. In the mean time you could try contacting the windows phone team by twitter and suggesting this.

I'm really hoping that we at least get some parity between Windows 8.1 and WP8.1 with password gestures and closing an app by dragging down from the top.

wp_cb

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
​htc's new one was just release with gesture based unlocking. while htc has defined the gestures, the concept seems quite interesting. i would love to see user defined gestures but implemented throughout the operating system and apps. imagine a sort of "smart gestures" which could be set by the user. the hardware in new devices has evolved enough that phone knows when is in the users hands (htc's new one will automatically answer if a call comes in and the phone is brought up to the ear - nokia glance knows enough to be able to display information only when the deceive is out of the pocket). the current lock screen, where the user has to unlock the phone before enabling tasks is getting old.

for example. i would love to have "swipe up" for a notification centre as a universal gesture. when my phone is locked i would like to swipe left to right for messaging but not when my phone is open. thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo