POLL: Will you be upgrading to Windows Phone 8?

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi Peeps

Was wondering if you WP7 users will be moving to a WP8 device when it comes time for you to upgrade.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Who does not want to upgrade ? Ask a windows phone 7 user. They miss many new applications , new hardware, lot more. I never used a windows phone 7 device. I jumped from an android phone to windows phone with Lumia 920(ditching my SCAMSUNG s3) and it was and will be the BEST decision I made , Was a wise decision. Windows phone 8 has changed a lot since it's very first introduction. I was bored from iOS row of icons and android lag which sometimes made me cry. Windows phone 8 is very refreshing. I can daily change the theme color of my start screen (lol i sometimes pic pink color). Icons works like widgets. And the os itself is very fast and smooth.
One using windows phone 7 from nokia here will miss new games , exclusive apps from nokia like new glance feature , nokia camera , cinema graph , double tap to unlock feature , ease multitasking with X button , rotation lock and much more from Microsoft. Oh one more to note upcoming windows phone 8.1 features like a notification centre , may be a file manager , voice assistant , much more. I have heard deadline for windows phone 7 is in sept 2014. Once can buy a cheap Lumia 520/525 , they are very cheap at least in my country (India), developers are taking windows phone in india very seriously. Developers are interested to build apps for windows phone 8 since they get more API , eg WhatsApp is doing a great job to support our platform.
Once a windows phone 7 get a taste of wp 8 , it's impossible for the user to revert back to older OS. Did I mention all wp 8 will get the next update unlike wp7X devices. So one can assure he will get updates from Microsoft for 36 months.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums mobile app

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I thought maybe people wouldnt stay with the windows OS when upgrade time came.

I.E. get android or iphone

Curiousity mostly

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
not until they make a windows 8 phone with a hardware keyboard.

i'm not giving up on my LG quantum.

i will not compromise on that. i don't use the camera, or play too many games, or anything
else, except phone calls, text messages and music.

i have no use for Windows phone APPS either.

later

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for a Lumia with a 41mp camera or better with quad core or better, reasonably sized(about 5in) 1080p or better screen and enough storage so you can actually store things on your phone. Hopefully Microsoft makes the minimum storage for high end devices 64gb.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

i will not compromise on that. i don't use the camera, or play too many games, or anything

later

....and there is my explanation.

Not only will you have a while to upgrade to WP8, I am not real sure you will have very many "non-BB10" options at all.

But, I understand. I still miss my keyboards. Just isn't a deal killer for me like you.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
....and there is my explanation.

Not only will you have a while to upgrade to WP8, I am not real sure you will have very many "non-BB10" options at all.

But, I understand. I still miss my keyboards. Just isn't a deal killer for me like you.

I loved the keyboard on the N97 mini and N900. Would love to have seen what those devices would have been like with WP8. I'm also not too keen on touch screen typing..I find I made less typing errors with the tactile keys plus I was faster with easier symbol/character inputs.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I loved the keyboard on the N97 mini and N900. Would love to have seen what those devices would have been like with WP8. I'm also not too keen on touch screen typing..I find I made less typing errors with the tactile keys plus I was faster with easier symbol/character inputs.

agreed. i am much proficient with the keyboard, than almost everyone that i know that has a touch screen. i can type faster, and with more accuracy than they can. (although the auto correct options mess up the words at times). it's also a lot easier to type symbols and characters and do uppercase, and finally it takes up 0 room on the screen for real estate, so i get a full screen when entering information.

if it's a decent app, it will support the keyboard when the screen is rotated. once in awhile some apps, have issues.

yes, i could potentially use touch for all the options. but i've never liked touch only options. my last phone was
a feature phone (the blitz), that was a square phone, with a keyboard slider. i had that phone for 4 years, and
only switched to this windows phone last year. i will hang onto this phone until it breaks or until there is another
phone with a keyboard that works just as well.

originally i had a zune HD music player, but it broke, so i'm glad that the music features are just as good.

the other main thing that is great with the keyboard is using the microsoft office applications on the phone.
also outlook, and one note work very well with it.

i'm not worried about thickness, or weight. for what it does, i don't care how thick it is, or how much
it weighs. for what it does with maps, and internet browsing, and the occasional game, it just works.

later

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site

later

Totally agree with this one!

I've had LG Quantum for 2-3 years and I love it.
Two months ago I purchased Dell Venue Pro and HTC 7 Pro just to make sure I'll have enough QWERTY equipped Windows Phones in case any of them would break (and there wouldn't be any spare parts available anymore) and no-one would ever manufacture Windows Phones with the physical QWERTY anymore.

A friend of mine used to work for Nokia and he told me they would've done some customer research and this is what the customers told them:

"we don't want Windows Phones with the physical QWERTY. The thinner the phone is the better."

I don't buy that explanation. It's far more easier and cost effective to manufacture a phone only with the digitizer than with the digitizer & physical QWERTY. If you'd manufacture a phone with the physical QWERTY, you'd have to:

1) manufacture different keyboard layouts for different markets (English, German, Russian for example). That'll cost a lot of money compared to "virtual" keyboards you can create just by coding the correct software,
2) in warranty cases those physical QWERTYs would cost you more since there's risk (compared to "virtual" keyboard of the digitizer) some of the components would break.

In my opinion those are THE REAL REASONS why those physical keyboards are not manufactured anymore. Well, those youngsters/kids who've never used a physical keyboard won't care about it but the older (than teens) people I've talked with, almost all of them would wish they'd have a physical keyboard. Well 'nuff said...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
agreed. i am much proficient with the keyboard, than almost everyone that i know that has a touch screen. i can type faster, and with more accuracy than they can. (although the auto correct options mess up the words at times). it's also a lot easier to type symbols and characters and do uppercase, and finally it takes up 0 room on the screen for real estate, so i get a full screen when entering information.

if it's a decent app, it will support the keyboard when the screen is rotated. once in awhile some apps, have issues.

yes, i could potentially use touch for all the options. but i've never liked touch only options. my last phone was
a feature phone (the blitz), that was a square phone, with a keyboard slider. i had that phone for 4 years, and
only switched to this windows phone last year. i will hang onto this phone until it breaks or until there is another
phone with a keyboard that works just as well.

originally i had a zune HD music player, but it broke, so i'm glad that the music features are just as good.

the other main thing that is great with the keyboard is using the microsoft office applications on the phone.
also outlook, and one note work very well with it.

i'm not worried about thickness, or weight. for what it does, i don't care how thick it is, or how much
it weighs. for what it does with maps, and internet browsing, and the occasional game, it just works.

later

Sounds like you would be happier with an old HTC Touch Pro 2 on WinMo. At least those had real Outlook and Office.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you would be happier with an old HTC Touch Pro 2 on WinMo. At least those had real Outlook and Office.

actually, the current models with keyboards work very well, especially with the newer applications which are close enough to the real versions, and also the browser.

lastly the response time, and screens are much better now. than previous generations

later

J4ck B

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Nope, Not upgrading. I feel too insulted by MS. I bought a Lumia 900, their so-called "flagship WP phone" the day after launch. While they never directly said it, it was strongly implied that if we waited a bit the lack of apps would not be an issue as once 8 arrived we would start getting all the good apps. Then what happens just a few weeks after launch..... MS comes out and essentially goes "well we changed up some stuff in wp8 and now no current windows 7 phone will work with 8. Also there will be no trade-in plans or exchanges but you are more than welcome to buy a new phone yourself". So within two months the brand new "flagship" windows phone was reduced to the bargain bin phone, the apps never came, and I was stuck with an instantly outdated phone for 22 more months of my contract. Its a shame too, my lumia is a nice phone, WP itself isn't even that bad. My problems are more with MS themselves. They really don't seem to give a care about their users. I find it very hard to believe they had no clue going into the 900/800 release that they were going to make such drastic changes to 8. I would have waited a few months to get an 8 phone had I known. Instead they let a lot of people buy phones (and get stuck in contracts in the US) that would be outdated almost immediately after purchase. Tell me why I should give a company like that my money again?

Wow AdamInTx...I'm glad I read your post, because I was about to write EXACTLY the same thing. I pre-ordered a Lumia 900 from Rogers in Canada, LTE version. The 900 was absolutely touted as Nokia's (and windows phone's) flagship phone. I was so excited about a new Nokia with a more modern OS that I didn't really research much (my bad). Then I get my 900 and find out it can't do a number of things I was used to being able to do with my Samsung Galaxy, most shocking of which was no ability to network/share files with my WINDOWS pc! Insane! Then as Adam said, a couple months later we find out our "flagship" phones are already obsolete. I was a huge Nokia user in the old days (used my N95 for years)...but now...I say screw you Nokia, or I guess I should say, screw you Microsoft. I don't see myself buying a Windows phone in the future.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I feel too insulted by MS. I bought a Lumia 900, their so-called "flagship WP phone" the day after launch. Then what happens just a few weeks after launch..... MS comes out and essentially goes "well we changed up some stuff in wp8 and now no current windows 7 phone will work with 8. Its a shame too, my lumia is a nice phone, WP itself isn't even that bad. My problems are more with MS themselves?

In all honesty, it's not that WP7.8 is a bad or incapable platform, it's just that the majority of devs see WP8's majority market share. It's not really Microsoft's fault. They did at least provide the7.8 update. And you still get a big part of the store and plenty of new apps. Maybe you lose most of the new games or new cool apps, but there are somewhat alternatives for some. Most people with WP don't care though, so you are in a minority either way.

To push the platform forward (IN A BIG WAY, as we'll see in 1-2 years hopefully) Microsoft needed to do some major changes. They took the Windows Mobile core, stripped it of the useless parts, optimized it and gave it a fresh look. That was Windows Phone 7. Then they took the same "look" but they rebuilt it from the ground up on another platform. The porting process itself I think proved an incredibly time consuming task. Apple can do it year after year because they only need to support 4 fixed different hardware specs at a time. There a way more Windows Phones combinations than that.

I think the best I can say is that after 2 years, I think you can still sell your L900 (if it's in pristine condition) and buy a 525/620/625 2nd hand (brand new looking) with the same money, so it's something.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
About the poll, my dad bought himself his smartphone this November, a Lumia 900. He was on a tight budget and had to buy a smartphone AND a 4.3"+ GPS with the same money. He initially wanted a 2nd hand L800, but I steered him toward the L900. For him, it's a great phone.

He misses the options to increase font size, have the phone in our local language (Romanian) and he would surely like some of the new capabilities of the Here Drive on WP8 compared to Drive on WP7. I'm not even talking about the Drive Options bought in WP8 GDR3. I think that sometime in the next 2 years I will buy him a L625 or w/e equivalent it will have released this year so he'll be up to date will all the goodies.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for a Lumia with a 41mp camera or better with quad core or better, reasonably sized(about 5in) 1080p or better screen and enough storage so you can actually store things on your phone. Hopefully Microsoft makes the minimum storage for high end devices 64gb.

May I ask why quad core is the necessity that will make you upgrade? Obviously, there is the more-is-better thought, but WP runs really good on the existing processors.

Then what happens just a few weeks after launch..... MS comes out and essentially goes "well we changed up some stuff in wp8 and now no current windows 7 phone will work with 8. Also there will be no trade-in plans or exchanges but you are more than welcome to buy a new phone yourself".

I'm sorry, but that is just straight up wrong. Microsoft never attempted to deceive anyone. Before the 900 was ever on a store shelf, it was blatantly clear that no WP7 device would receive the upgrade to WP8. There was no last minute bait and switch as you imply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo