So i finally tried WP.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
This was a good review. Though the lag thing...its not so much launching apps so much as over a period of time android phones grow to be laggy whereas even on the lowest common denominator windows phone their performance is still the same as it was out of the box.

That was probably my only disagreement.

Also the app list, its quite simple for me to just click the letter and find the app there vs a grid of icons and having to scroll through and find them.

If you are really going to give something a test you should get the best one they have. By buying the low end phone and compairing it to other platforms is not a true test at all

In my opinion, what WP8 does well is that even on low end devices it is quite fluid, you do not have to buy the top end hardware to get a good experience. I believe Google realized this as well and hence KitKat and Moto G. Android get seriously slow the more you use it. As I keep adding apps to my 810, I have yet to encounter an issue. On iOS there is no question of low or high end, Apple only makes high end hardware phones - before everyone starts informing me about iPhone 4S still being available there are multiple reports of iOS 7 peforming poorly on that device - and you cannot compare the cost of a iPhone 4S running iOS 7 with a Lumia 520 running WP8 GDR3:)

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I find it interesting that people actually use the app list. I just have all my icons on the main screen and scroll down to where it is. Yes I remember their placements
My issue with that is that I dislike scrolling through a home screen/start screen to find an app that i use often. That goes for my android and iOS devices as well.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't really say i was comparing. I just wanted a quick and inexpensive way to experience WP. There was no way with my reservations that i was going to spend 250+ just to try something for a month. After my experience i decided to permanently add a WP to my collection. Hence why i order a 925 that will be here today.

Look forward to hearing about your 925! I really like mine! I am on ATT and it has been updated to black/GDR3 and it is pretty nice! Just wish it had 32GB or SD card. Skybox seems a tad slower than drive and drop box.

Sent from my Moto X!

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion, what WP8 does well is that even on low end devices it is quite fluid, you do not have to buy the top end hardware to get a good experience. I believe Google realized this as well and hence KitKat and Moto G. Android get seriously slow the more you use it. As I keep adding apps to my 810, I have yet to encounter an issue. On iOS there is no question of low or high end, Apple only makes high end hardware phones - before everyone starts informing me about iPhone 4S still being available there are multiple reports of iOS 7 peforming poorly on that device - and you cannot compare the cost of a iPhone 4S running iOS 7 with a Lumia 520 running WP8 GDR3:)
That's the second time in this post I've seen someone say this about android devices getting slower over time. I have never experienced this and am curious to know what device did you have that did this. I have never had a low end phone before this one so it may be a low end android issue. I agree with the iPhone 4s part though. I never keep my iPhones longer than the refresh because Apple always seems to find a way to mess them up after a while. It's a good thing they pay for themselves every year or i wouldn't always have one.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
That's the second time in this post I've seen someone say this about android devices getting slower over time. I have never experienced this and am curious to know what device did you have that did this. I have never had a low end phone before this one so it may be a low end android issue. I agree with the iPhone 4s part though. I never keep my iPhones longer than the refresh because Apple always seems to find a way to mess them up after a while. It's a good thing they pay for themselves every year or i wouldn't always have one.

I have not seen this with android either. I have had over 12 android phones but not longer than 9 months so that may be why.

Sent from my Moto X!

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
My detailed history:

HTC Hero, HTC Droid Incredible, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, Galaxy S, HTC Nexus One, HTC Evo 4G, HTC Sensation, Galaxy SII, LG Optimus 4D, Galaxy SII LTE, Galaxy SII Skyrocket, Samsung Nexus, Motorola Razr Maxx, Samsung Galaxy SIII.

All of them slowed down from everyday usage. They also became unstable with time.

tonybessette

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a question because I've never used an android device. If you had the same long list of apps and wanted to get to an infrequently used one, how do you do it? Is there not a list somewhere you'd have to scroll through or multiple pages to flip through?

This. With Android, if the app you want is at the end of your list...and you have seven home screens, you have to scroll through seven home screens to get to it. Same if you have 100+ apps in your "app drawer". So scrolling down on a Windows Phone...IMHO is easier and less frustrating. I have had countless Android phones and iPhones, and I like my Lumia 1520 better by far.

mspace81

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Ivin, I really enjoyed reading your posts. I am agnostic when it comes to tech. I have a Mac, a Nexus 7, Note 3. I was curious about WP8 and bought a Nokia 520. There are some things that I really like about windows and some things I don't. With my current needs, the note 3 works best, that spen I use several times a day. I use the 520 for my weekend phone. Microsoft has something they can really build here with Windows Phone. I feel that if they really just put more focus and attention on their mobile department, it'll really take off. Windows offers a fresh look from Android and iPhone. I agree about the scrolling for apps. I use a launcher on my note so I only have 2 home screens and set it up in a way that my most used apps are readily available. Any apps that I may not use regularly, I just use Google search and type in a few letters or just tell it to launch the app.

I would try a higher end windows phone, but I made my resolution that I would either buy no tech toys this year or only one lol. And I'm kinda eyeballing the Surface Pro 2....that thing is a beast!! I really really like the 1020, because it makes my crappy photography look like a masterpiece lol. Windows has definitely improved since I last tried it in 2010. I'm very excited to see where they go with this.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Ivin, I really enjoyed reading your posts. I am agnostic when it comes to tech. I have a Mac, a Nexus 7, Note 3. I was curious about WP8 and bought a Nokia 520. There are some things that I really like about windows and some things I don't. With my current needs, the note 3 works best, that spen I use several times a day. I use the 520 for my weekend phone. Microsoft has something they can really build here with Windows Phone. I feel that if they really just put more focus and attention on their mobile department, it'll really take off. Windows offers a fresh look from Android and iPhone. I agree about the scrolling for apps. I use a launcher on my note so I only have 2 home screens and set it up in a way that my most used apps are readily available. Any apps that I may not use regularly, I just use Google search and type in a few letters or just tell it to launch the app.

I would try a higher end windows phone, but I made my resolution that I would either buy no tech toys this year or only one lol. And I'm kinda eyeballing the Surface Pro 2....that thing is a beast!! I really really like the 1020, because it makes my crappy photography look like a masterpiece lol. Windows has definitely improved since I last tried it in 2010. I'm very excited to see where they go with this.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
Thanks for agreeing with me on the scrolling issue. I don't think people know what i mean. I only have one home screen and 1.5 pages in my app drawer. I also agree with you on the windows building a nice foundation. Do let me know how you like the surface pro 2 if you do decide to pick one up. I don't know if I'm ready to jump head first into a windows only device as i adore OSX. Again, thanks and i appreciate your feedback!!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have not seen this with android either. I have had over 12 android phones but not longer than 9 months so that may be why.

Sent from my Moto X!

Samsung Galaxy Exhibit II 4G and I still have the phone after 2 years:) It runs okay now, even after rooting it and putting maybe about 30 apps on it. I would say that my Lumia 521 smoked it right out of the box.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Exhibit II 4G and I still have the phone after 2 years:) It runs okay now, even after rooting it and putting maybe about 30 apps on it. I would say that my Lumia 521 smoked it right out of the box.

That is an old phone ;) I can't be sure what causes it, but I have never experienced it. Seems like there have always been vast differences in android users experiences with even the same device. If I had to say, I would say it is specific apps. I do not use any of the social media apps and seems to not have a lot of issue others have. I would say since the Galaxy S3, Note 2 timeframes all of my phones have been blazingly fast. My current Moto X with optimized software and my Nexus 5 with a snapdragon 800 just fly. I put 60 to 70 apps on my phones.

I am looking forward to the next wave of WP and of course 8.1

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
That is an old phone ;) I can't be sure what causes it, but I have never experienced it. Seems like there have always been vast differences in android users experiences with even the same device. If I had to say, I would say it is specific apps. I do not use any of the social media apps and seems to not have a lot of issue others have. I would say since the Galaxy S3, Note 2 timeframes all of my phones have been blazingly fast. My current Moto X with optimized software and my Nexus 5 with a snapdragon 800 just fly. I put 60 to 70 apps on my phones.

I am looking forward to the next wave of WP and of course 8.1

I have about over 100 apps on my phone. I had the same apps on my second Android phone which was a Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 did not have any lag issues but it did not cost $76 including tax to buy either:) One thing I realized is to stick with stock Android or as close to stock as possible. If I had a lot of money I would buy either the Nexus 5 or Moto X and for less money I would spring for a Moto G or a used Nexus 4. All the other skins I think probably slow down the OS to some extent.

Now as far as apps are concerned, the only app I miss on WP8 is Vonage Extensions about which I have complained about extensively on various threads on WPC and via Twitter to Windowsphone and Vonage:)

I am okay with or without a notification center on WP8 versus iOS/Android. However, I do miss Swype and the voice recognition capability on my Nexus 4 both of which were amazing. WP8 needs to catch up in these two areas IMHO.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I owned top android phones like the xperia x10, galaxy captivate, vibrant, s2, s3, HTC evo and the 3d, and quite a few others. I used to use android exclusively before switching to windows phone in 2012 so I had an issue with lag on those devices.

Of course modern android phones like the one and gs4 and xperia are lovely and perform well but their overlay is a bit clunky imo.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have about over 100 apps on my phone. I had the same apps on my second Android phone which was a Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 did not have any lag issues but it did not cost $76 including tax to buy either:) One thing I realized is to stick with stock Android or as close to stock as possible. If I had a lot of money I would buy either the Nexus 5 or Moto X and for less money I would spring for a Moto G or a used Nexus 4. All the other skins I think probably slow down the OS to some extent.

Now as far as apps are concerned, the only app I miss on WP8 is Vonage Extensions about which I have complained about extensively on various threads on WPC and via Twitter to Windowsphone and Vonage:)

I am okay with or without a notification center on WP8 versus iOS/Android. However, I do miss Swype and the voice recognition capability on my Nexus 4 both of which were amazing. WP8 needs to catch up in these two areas IMHO.

+1 on sticking as close to stock android as possible. Love my Moto X (near stock) and Nexus 5 (stock). I know some experience the slowdown and lag, I have not seen it though even on my S4 which was hammered over lag.

If you like voice commands the Moto X is superb and in a class by itself. It is easily the reason I prefer it to my Nexus 5. Just got my eldest daughter set up on a Moto X from an iPhone last week. She was eyeing my Lumia though...:)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
+1 on sticking as close to stock android as possible. Love my Moto X (near stock) and Nexus 5 (stock). I know some experience the slowdown and lag, I have not seen it though even on my S4 which was hammered over lag.

Agreed. But going back to WP8, I started out with the 521 and in three weeks moved up to an 810. Since then I have tried
822 - 16GB vs 8GB, more color options - I had all the 4 colors VZW sold
925 - wanted bigger screen, 16GB, better camera, LTE but still loved my 810 screen for some reason
920 - wanted 32GB, wireless charging, LTE and a slightly smaller screen but sold that phone as well

I have an HTC 8X too which I plan to use as a daily driver starting next week provided I get the time to set it up right this weekend....

At this point I would say I am going to wait for a MSFT / NOK competitor that blows the Moto G out of the water to switch from my 810 in terms of device specs. Give me Swype, better voice recognition for typing / search, volume control, moving apps to SD card and I will be quite happy with WP8.1.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Not a list. On my HTC One it's a 4X6 grid which i feel is faster to find an app since you see 24 apps on one screen rather than a list you have to scroll through.

If you have lots of apps, then a list may be a better way to organize them. I have like 5 pages of apps on my iPad and I have to search for them one at a time, and if you had forgotten the icon the only way to find it is via search. It helps a little to organize them into folders but overall it is still such a chore.

With the Windows Phone implementation of a sorted list, you can use the alphabet to jump to it, or you can also speed scroll all the way down. I can understand if you prefer a grid but there are advantages to continuous scrolling as well. I find it easier to search for the app that I want without relying on visual cues.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
If you have lots of apps, then a list may be a better way to organize them. I have like 5 pages of apps on my iPad and I have to search for them one at a time, and if you had forgotten the icon the only way to find it is via search. It helps a little to organize them into folders but overall it is still such a chore.

With the Windows Phone implementation of a sorted list, you can use the alphabet to jump to it, or you can also speed scroll all the way down. I can understand if you prefer a grid but there are advantages to continuous scrolling as well. I find it easier to search for the app that I want without relying on visual cues.

+1. For me I find it is easier to find a particular app faster on my Lumia 810 versus my Nexus 4 using the sorted list vs grid view UX differences. I have not used the search function on either device to jump to a particular app....

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. But going back to WP8, I started out with the 521 and in three weeks moved up to an 810. Since then I have tried
822 - 16GB vs 8GB, more color options - I had all the 4 colors VZW sold
925 - wanted bigger screen, 16GB, better camera, LTE but still loved my 810 screen for some reason
920 - wanted 32GB, wireless charging, LTE and a slightly smaller screen but sold that phone as well

I have an HTC 8X too which I plan to use as a daily driver starting next week provided I get the time to set it up right this weekend....

At this point I would say I am going to wait for a MSFT / NOK competitor that blows the Moto G out of the water to switch from my 810 in terms of device specs. Give me Swype, better voice recognition for typing / search, volume control, moving apps to SD card and I will be quite happy with WP8.1.

Wow you have tried a lot of Lumias! I tired a 1020 for a few weeks for the camera but it was just too heavy compared to what I was used to so I returned it. The pics were excellent of course but the weight...picked up a Mint 925 from SWAPPA in December and really like it! it is essentially the same size as the 1020 without the bigger camera. About the only complaint I have on the 925 is the 16GB of storage...

I plan to wait to see the new crop of WP 8.1 coming and crossing my fingers for at least 32GB of storage or sd card capability.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

I see what you mean. When i had a lot of apps i found it easier and by far faster than any kind of scrolling to just say "okay google open visual voicemail" (since the letter "V" would be all the way at the bottom). I really hate scrolling :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss