So i finally tried WP.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I see what you mean. When i had a lot of apps i found it easier and by far faster than any kind of scrolling to just say "okay google open visual voicemail" (since the letter "V" would be all the way at the bottom). I really hate scrolling :)

you can do that with windows phone too. Hold your start button, when tell me comes up say "open (insert app name" and it will open.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Wow you have tried a lot of Lumias! I tired a 1020 for a few weeks for the camera but it was just too heavy compared to what I was used to so I returned it. The pics were excellent of course but the weight...picked up a Mint 925 from SWAPPA in December and really like it! it is essentially the same size as the 1020 without the bigger camera. About the only complaint I have on the 925 is the 16GB of storage...

I plan to wait to see the new crop of WP 8.1 coming and crossing my fingers for at least 32GB of storage or sd card capability.

By any chance you bought the 925 on T-Mobile? I sold one on Swappa that is why...

smogg9

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
good article there my friend...now im going to let my experience sink in this forum lol : i was an android fan, then all of a sudden i switched to windows phone and at first i was regretting it, i was like ''wtf is this? where is fb chat? this fb app sucks, wtf have i done!?'' later on i came to like the OS and was even bragging about it , but NOW (after almost a year) i wanna switch back to an android device, i just want things to work for me, i need a decent fb app with a decent fb chat that would let me send pictures and receive them without the need of going to the fb site to see them.... i need a good whatsapp that wont lag and will let me customize its background, i need a reliable OS opening apps fast. i grew tired of the OS and havent switched because i dont have the money! and no one wants to buy my phone (lumia 920) ..it feels like having a gf you dont like lmao

ipinsao

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Of all the updates they keep coming up it's sad that they leave off the screen orientation lock. That update for glance is just useless.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
good article there my friend...now im going to let my experience sink in this forum lol : i was an android fan, then all of a sudden i switched to windows phone and at first i was regretting it, i was like ''wtf is this? where is fb chat? this fb app sucks, wtf have i done!?'' later on i came to like the OS and was even bragging about it , but NOW (after almost a year) i wanna switch back to an android device, i just want things to work for me, i need a decent fb app with a decent fb chat that would let me send pictures and receive them without the need of going to the fb site to see them.... i need a good whatsapp that wont lag and will let me customize its background, i need a reliable OS opening apps fast. i grew tired of the OS and havent switched because i dont have the money! and no one wants to buy my phone (lumia 920) ..it feels like having a gf you dont like lmao

Try selling your phone on Swappa, it should go fast if it is in mint condition and priced correctly. For that matter phones sell pretty quickly on WPC Marketplace as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Try selling your phone on Swappa, it should go fast if it is in mint condition and priced correctly. For that matter phones sell pretty quickly on WPC Marketplace as well.

The problem is that "priced correctly" for a used Lumia 920 is $125 or so, and even less if it's not in perfect condition. That won't buy a mid to high range Android.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that "priced correctly" for a used Lumia 920 is $125 or so, and even less if it's not in perfect condition. That won't buy a mid to high range Android.

I sold mine which was unlocked Pentaband that got LTE on T-Mo for $250....which was about two weeks ago so YMMV...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I sold mine which was unlocked Pentaband that got LTE on T-Mo for $250....which was about two weeks ago so YMMV...

I bought a perfect condition red AT&T 920 for $125 about 2 months ago. It didn't come with any accessories other than what came in the box with it.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
That's the second time in this post I've seen someone say this about android devices getting slower over time. I have never experienced this and am curious to know what device did you have that did this. I have never had a low end phone before this one so it may be a low end android issue. I agree with the iPhone 4s part though. I never keep my iPhones longer than the refresh because Apple always seems to find a way to mess them up after a while. It's a good thing they pay for themselves every year or i wouldn't always have one.

Only high end android phones has support for TRIM, which supposedly reduces the 'slow -effect' the more u use the phone. Low end and middle ones don't have support for that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. The app search feature on Windows Phone just makes sense. No more lost apps. Imagine how much time is wasted searching for apps on Androids and Iphones.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I see what you mean. When i had a lot of apps i found it easier and by far faster than any kind of scrolling to just say "okay google open visual voicemail" (since the letter "V" would be all the way at the bottom). I really hate scrolling :)

First off, let me say I appreciate you taking your time and trying the WP from an objective position. I just want to address some things with you and reader of this thread

Voice commands are great but personally I don't think its a good idea to use them in public. It gives off the whole im-wearing-a-Bluetooth-headset-and-it-looks-like-im-talking-to-myself vibe. I think voice command really works in the car or when at home/non-public place. That being said, I find the alphabetical grid a much more efficient way to look for an app than conventional methods in iOS and Android. Again that is just my opinion.

Just a quick backstory about myself and mobile devices, Ive had (in this order) a T-Mobile SDA (Windows Mobile), Treo 650, Blackberry Curve, iPhone 3GS, HTC EVO 4G (aka Supersonic and ran with CM), Nokia Lumia 900 and finally Nokia Lumia 1520. I've had interactions with a wide breath of mobile platforms and in my opinion, WP has been my favorite and most useful experience.

I'd also like to say Im glad you purchased the 925 to get a more robust feel for the platform because I do think the experience is on par to what you would get in iOS or Android. Some things I think WP does better than the competitors and some things I think the opposite holds true.
All in all WP is leaps and bounds better than i thought it would be ( and boy did i have my reservations) but its just not leaps and bounds better than iOS and android

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a WP8 and have been using it for a week now.

I don't really like it. The deal breaker for me was the inability to move files from one folder to another, or the inability to create system folders.

I can't, for example, download an attachment from an email on IE and save it on my WP8 phone and move it to another folder.

This makes it useless for work. It amazes me how WP8 can quickly nullify the entire idea of attachments in emails without giving it a second thought.

And since WP8 is already lacking in apps, it's not really that good for consuming things like games and media either.

So what good is it for?

ithehappy

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a WP8 and have been using it for a week now.

I don't really like it. The deal breaker for me was the inability to move files from one folder to another, or the inability to create system folders.

I can't, for example, download an attachment from an email on IE and save it on my WP8 phone and move it to another folder.

This makes it useless for work. It amazes me how WP8 can quickly nullify the entire idea of attachments in emails without giving it a second thought.

And since WP8 is already lacking in apps, it's not really that good for consuming things like games and media either.

So what good is it for?
Well if you don't find any good things in something, then it really doesn't matter about other's opinion, you just need to get back to what you liked.
As I said million times in several places, killing this beautiful OS is in MS's own hand.

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a 520, iPhone 4s, and a blackberry q10. Like them all for different reasons. Right now use each back and forth. Really waiting to see what comes out over the next few months to see which way to go. IPhone is a bit boring but it is nice to have the apps for whatever I need. However I like the os of wp8 the best. Hopefully the app situation will work itself out.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a 520, iPhone 4s, and a blackberry q10. Like them all for different reasons. Right now use each back and forth. Really waiting to see what comes out over the next few months to see which way to go. IPhone is a bit boring but it is nice to have the apps for whatever I need. However I like the os of wp8 the best. Hopefully the app situation will work itself out.

Couldn't help but noticed you haven't tried Android yet.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Well if you don't find any good things in something, then it really doesn't matter about other's opinion, you just need to get back to what you liked.
As I said million times in several places, killing this beautiful OS is in MS's own hand.

This is true, subjectively if someone doesn't like something, there's no convincing them otherwise.

But objectively, I'm struggling to find a single reason why I would choose WP8 over Android.

With Android I have interactive widgets, live wallpapers, customizable everything from backgrounds to launchers to lock screens. With Android I have a folder manager, I can create folders/files and move them around to my heart's content. With Android I can develop, I can create entire backups of the system image, I can root, I can install custom ROMs, I can overclock, I can change the kernel, I can change the system resources. With Android I have a built-in search, which is an intelligent search instead of just a keyword search. For example I can say "Ok Google, get me directions to this place" or "Ok Google, let's sing some Christmas carols" and Google will know what I'm talking about.

At least with iOS it has a better app ecosystem than Android. But with WP8, I'm really struggling to find why I should stick with my current WP8 phone.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I made a 15 second video showing a few things you can do on Android (live wallpapers, widgets, rooting, screen recording, intelligent voice command) that you can't do on WP8.

Do a barrel roll - YouTube
That's nice dear, enjoy sacrificing quality for features that almost no one uses on a regular basis. Our OS can only grow, yours was built on a shaky foundation and they're just throwing more garbage on it.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
That's nice dear, enjoy sacrificing quality for features that almost no one uses on a regular basis. Our OS can only grow, yours was built on a shaky foundation and they're just throwing more garbage on it.

LOL at "yours" and "ours" and such.

Meh. Choice is good. I like all the OSes, and ownership doesn't really apply.

IMHO, of course. That's mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb