VPN workaround? How can I access content like IG, fb , snapchat on a network that blocks it?

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if there is a workaround or app that will allow me to access blocked networks like fb, snapchat, and instagram on my school WiFi. I know on android and IOS there are workarounds, but do not know how to access the restricted content WiFi on my Lumia 1520. Are there any workarounds in wp8 that allow this, it any apps that can be a workaround? And please I do not want to hear, "You are a student, you should not be doing this in class" and I currently use my own data as a workaround.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: VPN workaround? Can I access blocked networks like instagram, fb, snapchat?

No. Listen in class. Think about what you've learnt at lunch breaks and between classes.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

No. Listen in class. Think about what you've learnt at lunch breaks and between classes.

this is not the answer I am looking for, thanks for the input though.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

The only workaround to date is to turn off wifi and use your data connection. Is your data connection too slow?

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

The only workaround to date is to turn off wifi and use your data connection. Is your data connection too slow?

This is exactly what I do, turn off WiFi. But I have other friends with windows phone that have a limited data connection. I can also run straight through my 2gb plan. Anyways, I was hoping there could be an app that could be this workaround.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

This is exactly what I do, turn off WiFi. But I have other friends with windows phone that have a limited data connection. I can also run straight through my 2gb plan. Anyways, I was hoping there could be an app that could be this workaround.

Well... if your school is filtering the web via DNS then maybe you could use their WIFI and edit the DNS servers that get populated by their wifi network. Use something like Google's instead (8.8.8.8). I've never tried to edit the DNS settings on WP, but that might be worth a try for you.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Well... if your school is filtering the web via DNS then maybe you could use their WIFI and edit the DNS servers that get populated by their wifi network. Use something like Google's instead (8.8.8.8). I've never tried to edit the DNS settings on WP, but that might be worth a try for you.

I will give this a shot, I hope that this will work.

I tired editing the DNS settings of my own home WiFi but the options were greyed out. I saw there is an option to connect to a proxy network. I am wondering if connecting to a proxy would be my solution.

Last edited:

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I tired editing the DNS settings of my own home WiFi but the options were greyed out. I saw there is an option to connect to a proxy network. I am wondering if connecting to a proxy would be my solution.

Maybe something like www.proxfree.com would work?

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

I don't think you can change DNS or do static IP with WP (at least, I'm sure about the static IP but not too sure about DNS).

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

So I am basically in the dark until VPN gets released for wp 8.1 this coming april? Argh this sucks, thanks for the advice though.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

That would work with the web pages for FB or whatnot, but not with Snapchat, for example.

Yeah that wouldn't work. I just did basic research.

lovenokia, what you want is an ip:port based proxy. Snapchat uses https from what I see.

Choose one of these US based servers (assuming you're in the USA). Just enter the IP and port into your Proxy settings of your phone. I'm anxious to see if it works for you. :D

Free Proxy List - Public Proxy Servers (IP PORT) - Hide My Ass! - Custom search #225371

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

The risk is that your wifi network may be blocking Proxies as well.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

The risk is that your wifi network may be blocking Proxies as well.
seems like proxies are blocked too. That link you gave me does not work on my school WiFi. Frustrating.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried port 80 and multiple different IP from this website, seems like I am not able to access these services still. I am not sure what other port I should.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It might be a pain, but just doing surfing shouldn't hit your data too hard. Use your cellular connection when facebooking and whatnot, and turn on the wifi when you're trying to do anything with streaming media.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss