Needed help with choosing new phone.

oscar89

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi to everyone. Is my first post here. So... I wanna buy my first Windows Phone... or rather my first WP8 (my last one was a WM 6.0). I'm right now working in Poland, so I need to buy it here.
So, the three options are:

8X - 215$
AtivS - 256$ (version without LTE)
L920 - 280$ (maybe I can get it a bit cheaper, but not much)

I dont want to spend a lot of cash... and between the most expensive and the cheapest there is a 30% difference. Which one of them the best to buy now? Many reviews are made before the updates GDR3, and I really dont know how the things stands now, if there were some drastic changes for example in battery life, cameras, software.

As for what I need the phone? Guess a bit for everything.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Considering the relatively minor price diffference between the three, if you can get your hands on each of them, that will be a better factor than listening to us. We each will have a preference, but only you can decide what feels best in your hand.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The reviews should at least give you an idea what you're looking at here.

The Lumia 920 is probably the best since Nokia has added value and features with HERE Drive+, the Glance feature, some usability improvements, Nokia specific apps...
but the question then becomes, is the extra value worth the markup to you? If you feel you don't need the extra goodies, then the other two are very respectable devices.

zlx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely go for LTE (8X or L920).

I'm a big Lumia Fan - built quality, design etc., not sure about the 8X.

Go to a local dealer and find out what suits you best ;-)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Try compile a list of what features or apps that are really important to you. Only make the move to WP8 if you can be sue that your needs can be met adequately. All to often we see people who have made the move to WP8 and then complain that they can't watch movies from certain web pages, or apps aren't available, or there's no file manager etc etc etc.

If there's any important features that you're unsure whether WP8 has or not, ask here and we'll tell you.

oscar89

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi again...
All the apps I need I think are avalible for WP8. Navigation sure is nice (and maybe I would buy it, even when buying a non Lumia phone), but how about Maps. Does they work like Google Maps? Showing a route from A to B if needed?
As for movies... I guess playing .avi movies from the memory shouldnt be a problem, right? How about streaming? Is it working from webpages?
And are there some apps in the market for better performance of the AtivS and 8x camera? And one thing... right now, after the GDR3, did the camera on the Lumia improved in daylight or is it still blurry? Is the difference really big (in good light, as in low light probably it is) between Nokia and 8x and AtivS (taking into consideration improvement apps if such exist)?
Office is standart on each phone from what I see. Music... well not soooo important to me. Just curious if all of them have radio FM?
And in daily use... How much it affects the diference between AtivS and 8x in terms of screen size to the daily use?

Sorry for the amount of questions. :)

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't choose either of those phones personally. The Lumia 925 is a really nice phone.

Maybe at least we can try to help him instead of replying like that...

Anyway, I'm for 920. There's a lot of great reviews with it. And yes, Here Maps app works almost similar to Google Maps. And you can even download offline maps with it, unlike Google Maps (well, at least in our country, Google Maps doesn't offer offline navigation).

As for videos streaming, I can stream YouTube videos but I still haven't tried on other sites.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe at least we can try to help him instead of replying like that...

Anyway, I'm for 920. There's a lot of great reviews with it. And yes, Here Maps app works almost similar to Google Maps. And you can even download offline maps with it, unlike Google Maps (well, at least in our country, Google Maps doesn't offer offline navigation).

As for videos streaming, I can stream YouTube videos but I still haven't tried on other sites.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

I was, and I wouldn't, because they're old.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was, and I wouldn't, because they're old.

The 925 isn't even that much of a difference besides the lack of Qi, slight camera bump, different display, metal, and less storage. OK fine, its technically not as "old", the same way the Black updates on lower end devices are better because they were released "later"

If you want to buy him a 925, go for it, but those were the options he has on the table, not the options you have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs