"Satya Nadella must kill Windows Phone and fork Android" Geez...

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Found this on google on searching for windows phone a few days ago. Read it, couldn't bother. These are not journalists, they are bloggers with little idea of the market interest, with no idea of the recent developments. Besides, guardians are known to be pure android fanboys (believe me, i am sure i have seen their fanboyism in some other articles).

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Android has just too many useless apps....it's just unbearable..!! And i don't see why i have to have g+ account when i make a google id....i prefer windows!!and people should really give time to windows....it's a new OS....it takes time to develop....but seriously each and every person in this world should try out windows phone....I'm sure they'll love it!

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I did mean potential to grow but also potential as far as innovation is concerned because they didn't take iOS and started from there. They went on a completely different route with the live tiles and in that respect there's more potential... you can't really make an icon better than it is on iOS or Android.

live tile is just another word for a simple widget..

WP also uses icons

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Earlier this week, it was Steve Wozniak saying Apple should release an iPhone on Android and now this guy from the Guardian says Microsoft should do

Analysis: Satya Nadella must kill Windows Phone and fork Android | Technology | theguardian.com

What's with Android? I don't see why people love it so much. I have used it (I'm not a ****** for anything, I try them all) but Android just doesn't do it for me (which is what led me to try WP8). Quite frankly, Windows Phone has better potential and is more original. Plus I don't have a Google Account anymore (I don't like Google because of the way they've been more of a bully since 2012).

Anyhow, what do you think of that guy's analysis?

Well, because you don't like it doesn't mean no-one does.

Stop thinking that everyone should be like you.
Your opinion about it is as biased as mine or anybodies...

I actually like Android very much. More than WP tbh. Packed with every possible feature, and lately they are lightning fast...But WP does have great "potential" as you say and is truly innovative compared to the old menu-styled androids. I still have WP because I am fairly patient with MS, and I do see that potential.

But MS will HAVE TO step it up, and BIGTIME, if they want this WP thing to actually go somewhere and get on the same level, "feature-wise", as iOS and Android.
Untill now there have been WAY too much dissappointments for WP users. And in a sense it is still very far from being a "complete" platform, because too many features are still missing or lacking on WP.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, because you don't like it doesn't mean no-one does.

Stop thinking that everyone should be like you.
Your opinion about it is as biased as mine or anybodies...

I actually like Android very much. More than WP tbh. Packed with every possible feature, and lately they are lightning fast...But WP does have great "potential" as you say and is truly innovative compared to the old menu-styled androids. I still have WP because I am fairly patient with MS, and I do see that potential.

But MS will HAVE TO step it up, and BIGTIME, if they want this WP thing to actually go somewhere and get on the same level, "feature-wise", as iOS and Android.
Untill now there have been WAY too much dissappointments for WP users. And in a sense it is still very far from being a "complete" platform, because too many features are still missing or lacking on WP.

Well first I never said no one likes Android or even that no one should not like Android. I said that I didn't see why people liked it so much (in the context that one of the co-founders of Apple said it should replace iOS and that a journalist says it should replace Windows Phone). And given that I'm expressing a personal opinion, of course it is biased but only because of a personal preference and not because I'm blindly defending an OS over another without aknowleding the forces and weaknesses of each.

Lastly I certainly don't think everyone should be like me. I don't really see how you could have gotten this (or any other intention you're giving to my original post for that matter) from my post. Oh and the fact that I end by asking what everyone thought clearly shows that I was interested in knowing... what others thought.

am forced to use google by my job :(
That is a shame. I make it a point not to use Google for all the reasons we know about (the Big Brotherness, the bullying of Windows and Windows Phone users, the arrogance, etc.).

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
While I myself am not a big fan of android as it currently is, I think a lot of people in this thread actually misunderstand what forking android could mean.

Most people in this discussion seem to assume that it would mean MS would take android, replace every iteration of the word "Google" with "Microsoft" and be done with it. This is not the case. Microsoft could still use their own frontend (the WP UI we currently have and most of us really love) and services. No need to ditch live tiles and take the (as most people already mentioned: flawed) Widget approach. They would not have to provide google services and they could even block unwanted (i.e. third party) software. MS could provide their own store/marketplace that only allows certain apps, they could lock the OS to only accept these trusted apps (no sideloading apks etc.). This whole thing can go way further than what we currently see in OEMs being able to provide their own add-ons, widgets and skins.

Forking basically means: Take the current google codebase and adapt it however you (in this case MS) wants. Compare this to the Amazon Kindle Fire devices which do not come with google services installed, but amazon services. Now Imagine this a lot more costumized in terms of UI, services and functionality compared to kindle fire.

The basic upside to this would be that the new "Windroid Phone" OS could essentially be compatible with all existing android apps (more or less, depending on how much MS will costumize their OS, of course) so developers would have it far more easy to "port" their android apps to Windroid Phone (maybe slight incompatibilities in frameworks and provided services by the OS, but the vast majority of code could be re-used) so no more having to wait ages for official apps after they hit android.

Other than that I don't see any upsides, just downsides. The whole development of WP in it's current state would be dismissed. Current apps would be pretty much impossible to be executable on a Windroid Phone, so these apps and games would have to be ported over by their developers. This would also mean that MS would (again!) screw existing WP customers over, but this time even more because our current apps would not work on our new Windroid devices.

This would also leave us with a dual- (and if Wozniak would have his way mono-) culture of mobile operating systems. The biggest issue this would cause is security issues. Attacks and security flaws could potentially be in all the iterations of Android, Appledroid and Windroid since they would to a certain extent share some basic codebase. Of course it doesn't necessarily mean that every security flaw will affect all forks, as each forker could potentially adapt a different security model and not all devices will share the same services.

I do not think MS could afford kicking their current WP customers again and rely on the android codebase that google provides so forking android would most likely not be a wise choice for MS.

EDIT:

And since Android is - to an extent - OSS, MS would be forced to open their (forked) source code as well. While this is not neccessarily bad from a consumer standpoint, I doubt it would be in the interest of Microsoft and its shareholders.

PS:
I did not read the original article in the guardian so I do not know to what extent that article is contradicting or supporting my points.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
live tile is just another word for a simple widget..

WP also uses icons
Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk
In a strict technical sense they may be similar, but the philosophy and implementation behind Live Tiles is light years apart from Android's widgets. WP's apps are predicated around a live tile but the developer doesn't have to utilize that piece, while a widget is a piece which is shoe horned around an app that may or may not have dynamic information in mind. Android's version is an afterthought.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The whole upshot of the previous ArsTechnica article was that Android essentially can't be forked because Google has already done so. AOSP no longer equals "Android" minus the Google services. To provide a true Android experience, and thus gain access to a compatible app base moving forward, OEMs have to throw in with Google. Trying to roll your own services means risking future app compatibility as Google moves more APIs into their closed services and/or reverse engineering API's - and we all know where Microsoft and Google have been with that.

Amazon makes it work cause they're only providing a subset of the full Google experience and they already had a deep content store they could drop in place of Google Play. They depend on the goodwill of developers to either program upfront to older APIs/frameworks, or to recode newer Google Play apps to be compatible with Amazon services. There are compatibility issues, that granted, at the present time, get resolved, but there's no guarantee Google won't go all YouTube/Microsoft with Amazon.

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I just don't get it. Last year, there were still people that supported WP8, saying like it has potential to succeed. Recently, I noticed more and more people coming out to bash windows, be it WP8 or Win 8... (Mind you, I'm not a ****** of any OS. I use an Android tablet at home and a L920 as my phone)

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
All of that said - it would be interesting to see what Microsoft and Amazon could do together in collaborative effort on replacing Google services....

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Being a previous WP owner and eagerly waiting WP9, i do not agree with this 'professional' article. WP should stay away from Anroid.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Well first I never said no one likes Android or even that no one should not like Android. I said that I didn't see why people liked it so much (in the context that one of the co-founders of Apple said it should replace iOS and that a journalist says it should replace Windows Phone). And given that I'm expressing a personal opinion, of course it is biased but only because of a personal preference and not because I'm blindly defending an OS over another without aknowleding the forces and weaknesses of each.

Lastly I certainly don't think everyone should be like me. I don't really see how you could have gotten this (or any other intention you're giving to my original post for that matter) from my post. Oh and the fact that I end by asking what everyone thought clearly shows that I was interested in knowing... what others thought.

You asked what others thought, no ? I gave you my thought, just like you asked, so really no need to feel attacked or something :wink:
I just noticed you stated that Windows Phone IS more original and HAS better potential...so th?t in a sense states that in your eyes it is a given fact, while it is actually just an opinion. I'm a detail freak, so if you said "I think WP is better and I think it has better potential"...then I would have interpreted it as such.

You also stated first that you don't get why others like Android, but now saying that you never expect anyone to have your opinion (?)
That is kind of a contradiction really...no ? If you understood that opinions differ and others most likely don't agree in full with your opinion, then you wouldn't have said "I don't get why..." :eek:rly:

I just wanted to point that out is all.

But don't feel like I'm trying to invalidate your opinion, because that is not the intention. Your opinion is as valid as mine. You just need to choose the words a little better so that detail freaks like me don't misinterpret them :smile:

But anyway, that guys "analysis" is as biased as any personal opinion...IF not even more :wink:

Last edited:

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
You asked what others thought, no ? I gave you my thought, just like you asked, so really no need to feel attacked or something :wink:
I just noticed you stated that Windows Phone IS more original and HAS better potential...so th?t in a sense states that in your eyes it is a given fact, while it is actually just an opinion. I'm a detail freak, so if you said "I think WP is better and I think it has better potential"...then I would have interpreted it as such.

You also stated first that you don't get why others like Android, but now saying that you never expect anyone to have your opinion (?)
That is kind of a contradiction really...no ? If you understood that opinions differ and others most likely don't agree in full with your opinion, then you wouldn't have said "I don't get why..." :eek:rly:

I just wanted to point that out is all.

But don't feel like I'm trying to invalidate your opinion, because that is not the intention. Your opinion is as valid as mine. You just need to choose the words a little better so that detail freaks like me don't misinterpret them :smile:

But anyway, that guys "analysis" is as biased as any personal opinion...IF not even more :wink:

Oh I didn't feel attacked, I was actually being nice :wink:

I say that I don't get why others like Android because I don't like it. I expect nothing really. I'm sure people have reasons to like it, some will think like me. To each their own really. But to me it doesn't do it.

Is that precise enough? :winktongue:

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh I didn't feel attacked, I was actually being nice :wink:

I say that I don't get why others like Android because I don't like it. I expect nothing really. I'm sure people have reasons to like it, some will think like me. To each their own really. But to me it doesn't do it.

Is that precise enough? :winktongue:

:grin:

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay... I think I can try this.

Satya Nadella must kill Xbox One, and build Playstations. Because... ummm... Sony sells more consoles, and MS totally joined the race late back in 2001. I mean... you could say that Magnavox fired the first shot in the 70s...

Hmmm... maybe you don't have to be to the party early to have the most fun. I'll say the same about the smartphone wars. Blackberry was once the giant... now it might not survive until the 2016 elections.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss