"Satya Nadella must kill Windows Phone and fork Android" Geez...

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
If they do this then I am gone from MS. All of it. I will move to Apple completely. A forked version of Android will face the same struggle as WP.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay... I think I can try this.

Satya Nadella must kill Xbox One, and build Playstations. Because... ummm... Sony sells more consoles, and MS totally joined the race late back in 2001. I mean... you could say that Magnavox fired the first shot in the 70s...

Hmmm... maybe you don't have to be to the party early to have the most fun. I'll say the same about the smartphone wars. Blackberry was once the giant... now it might not survive until the 2016 elections.

Everything is in constant flux. Everything changes. Android won't stay market-leader. It is inevitable. Maybe in 10y iOS will lie in the past, or Android, and BB may have the finest devices with the upmost innovations...who knows ? Who knows in 10y what a "cell-phone" will be then ? Might be a chip in your head by then...who knows, maybe they will all be "Intel" phones by then, multi-cored inside our head, all virtual and stuff :winktongue:

Only thing we can be sure of, is that the way things are now, including market-positions, they won't stay that way :smile:

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I think Microsoft would have been better off using Android from the start by employing some Google services like their search + maps and creating their own app store that runs alongside Google's similarly to what Samsung has done. They could have customized the OS to be almost like WP but probably even more flexible. Microsoft is a software company first and having their services prominently featured in Lumia Android phones would have been the perfect way to market their products. Trying to take down iOS and Android this late in the game is pretty futile IMO and they are just wasting money.

I love my 1520 and think WP8 is great but after 3 years, we're barely seeing 4% market share in the US with apps that don't look or function as well as their iOS/Android counterparts + with less support. With Nokia now poised to introduce their new Normandy phones with Android, I hope Satya and others in charge of MS realize that their best interest is to work with Google rather than against them.

Bottomline: Use AOSP + GMS and layer MS customizations on top of that + their own app store that runs alongside it. Push MS features and products on such devices and get the best of both worlds. MS already enjoys royalty fees from Android patents so this move would actually let MS start earning money rather than being in the red with WP.

Last edited:

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I think Microsoft would have been better off forking Android from the start, using some Google services like their search + maps and creating their own app store like Samsung has done. They could have customized the OS to be almost like WP but probably even more flexible. Microsoft is a software company first and having their services prominently featured in Lumia Android phones would have been the perfect way to market their products. Trying to take down iOS and Android this late in the game is pretty futile IMO and they are just wasting money.

I love my 1520 and think WP8 is great but after 3 years, we're barely seeing 4% market share in the US with apps that don't look or function as well as their iOS/Android counterparts + with less support. With Nokia now poised to introduce their new Normandy phones with Android, I hope Satya and others in charge of MS realize that their best interest is to work with Google rather than against them.

Very simply : I Concur. Hands down...no nonsense.

MS working with Google...hmmm I don't really like googles ethics, but who can say...A nice innovative blend of WP UI and Androidy features into a platform that could be the best of both worlds...

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
live tile is just another word for a simple widget..

WP also uses icons

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

No its not... have you ever used a Windows Phone?

That does it after reading this article I am going to toss my L1520 in the trash and go get an android. What's a good one...?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line, android users only recognize free and cracked apps and OS's. And to them, that is normal. Talk about security from the standpoint of the company Apple/Microsoft and they are insulted that it exists.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line, android users only recognize free and cracked apps and OS's. And to them, that is normal. Talk about security from the standpoint of the company Apple/Microsoft and they are insulted that it exists.

Heaven forbid someone make you pay for something that they made, and how dare they make is so it can't be easily hacked, am I right?

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
It would be doing a 180 from the direction MS has set for itself, to have a unified experience. It won't happen. And mentioning a forked version of android, what advantage would there be to that?

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for that ridiculous sweeping generalisation. It is of the utmost incredulity that you could make such a statement. Of the 80% of smartphone users who have Android devices, how many, do you think, have the knowledge and ability to crack apps and root their phones and so on.

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It would be doing a 180 from the direction MS has set for itself, to have a unified experience. It won't happen. And mentioning a forked version of android, what advantage would there be to that?

Well, in its current state: notifications done right, FILEBROWSER, modular system : change everything, download anything from web, I could go on but basically a more windowsy experience. Android is to phones what windows was to computers. Its fun all the arguments go the other way now: "hurdur malware and virus uglly, I don't need all features or apps" which windows-users constantly always had to defend themselves from. But now when it's the other way around suddenly what made windows so usable is completely forgotten and you embrace the locked model you hated Apple for all years .

When I say "You" I mean people in general that I've witness bull****ting back and forth all year erryyear

Edit: I don't mean locked down as in not open-source , I mean free to use the products they way it fits you and not the makers way

Mike Marvel

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I think going BlackBerry way and implement an abstraction layer to run Android apps will be more profitable.

Edit: I mean "more profitable" than killing WP and forking Android.
MS has already spent so much resources on WP to kill it; and forking Android will not be significantly cheaper than building a VM over WP.

As for the merits of having a Android VM per se, there are many unknown variables to argue for it. Should the VM be implemented as a separate app or integrated in the O/S? How good will the performance of the VM be? How will it impact the native ecosystem?

Last edited:

Mike Marvel

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
No, that would be incredibly stupid.

I think you misunderstand me. I mean "more profitable" than killing WP and forking Android.
If you still think that's incredibly stupid, I am curious to know why you think killing WP and forking Android is a better idea than having a Android VM on WP.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I just sort of skimmed the thread. I read this article yesterday and avoided putting the link to the article because I didn't think it deserved the click bait.

For anyone who is interested, Charles Arthur is the resident iFan of The Guardian and I mean big time. They unfortunately think he's an IT writer and has unbiased opinions. They've sent him to several Nokia and MS events and he always comes back and bashes both. I forget which event it was but he actually asked a completely irrelevant question at one of the Nokia events. In the mean time Apple can do no wrong. Though that is a bit of a Guardian thing anyway.

Saying that, there is little doubt that MS has to pull out the guns and fire away with WP8.1. Let's hope they do so. :)

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No matter how much I love Windows Phone OS, Google services simply rock. Search, Email, Maps are best in the world. Google Now is an incredible service that no one else has. I'm still waiting for Microsoft to make Outlook.com into a real Gmail competitor(eliminate folders and rename Categories to Tags and make the UI a 100000% better). Bing Maps need like a 134324234% better POI database and more 3D. So until that happens, I just can't see myself switching back to Windows Phone from my Nexus 5.

may693

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Earlier this week, it was Steve Wozniak saying Apple should release an iPhone on Android and now this guy from the Guardian says Microsoft should do

Analysis: Satya Nadella must kill Windows Phone and fork Android | Technology | theguardian.com

What's with Android? I don't see why people love it so much. I have used it (I'm not a ****** for anything, I try them all) but Android just doesn't do it for me (which is what led me to try WP8). Quite frankly, Windows Phone has better potential and is more original. Plus I don't have a Google Account anymore (I don't like Google because of the way they've been more of a bully since 2012).

Anyhow, what do you think of that guy's analysis?

i am 101% agree ! I don't know what the hell people see in android and running behind it like its the only thing available.. Hell huh!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb