Use Rooms to chat with the folks I invite on People Hub. When I invite someone to a room, they'll receive a text message with a link to join. I can't invite a contact to my room if I don't have their mobile phone number, so any contact I invite needs to have a mobile phone number listed.

This is not user-friendly enough. I have many buddies who hold Windows Phone, I have only their Microsoft account. I would like to chat with them, but I must become their Messenger friends. Unfortunately, Outlook.com team closed the feature of Messenger invitation on Outlook.com. I understand that we can no longer send invites on Messenger through the People page, and this is part of the recent update made in Outlook.com.
    invite_on_messenger.jpg

Thus, I can only use room invitation feature of People Hub, because when a contact joins a room I own or a room I'm a member of, I'll become Messenger friends with them. Even if I leave or delete a room, or remove someone from a room I own, I'll still be Messenger friends with them.

However, room invitations are sent only via text message. I also don't have a text messaging plan.

I'm really expect I can invite a contact to my room if I have only their Microsoft account.
    I send my room invitation to a contact who can receive email messages. In addition, it should build two options for sending SMS message or Email message on Windows Phone.
    02-11-2014 06:39 AM
    I think the Rooms feature is only for Windows Phone 8...it appears in your screen grabs those are from the Windows 8 PC app? And the whole concept of the Rooms was around creating a Group Text replacement...I think that is why it ties together so much with your cellular number.

Admittedly, I'm a little lost in this, sounds like you are connecting a couple different aspects and expecting them to pull through when that wasn't really the case...?
    02-11-2014 09:54 AM
    You can make up a false number under contact on People Hub - send them a text. It will send two texts. Copy the second text with link in it and paste it in an empty email. Now send that link via email address to your contact. They will be able to join your room.

Trick: you need a false number for your contact for those 2 SMS to be directed to. They won't be sent because number is something like 123456439546 but they will be generated so that you can copy the link for email.
    02-11-2014 11:00 AM
    03-29-2014 04:52 AM