I think Skype integration into Windows Phone, and it can be:
    • Directly send and receive Skype instant messages (text messages, photo/voice messages) in Online feed of Messaging App;
    • Skype built into Windows Phone, make only Skype-to-Skype video and voice calls, and calls to mobiles and landlines around the world;
    • Invite / View / Delete Skype contacts in the People Hub;
    • Communication always signing in with Microsoft account, retire the Skype Name.

If so, then the Messenger really eliminated. It is now an awkward service.
    02-11-2014 07:09 AM
    I don't remember all the technical difficulties, but I do remember that the fundimental way that Skype worked prohibited it from being truly integrated into our phones. It was a Peer to Peer connection verse connecting to a centralized server, so it demanded a lot more resources than you would typically expect.

My understanding was they had to basically swap out Skype's skeleton while it was still walking.

Understanding Skype€™s limitations on Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

If you have some time, and the history of Skype intreges you, go search WPCentral's mainpage for "Skype". There have been a lot of good articles and it is neat to see it's progression... For example, you think it isn't integrated much now...well, there was ZERO Skype support for the start of WP7.

Update: Skype and Windows Phone 7 -- it's "on the roadmap" | Windows Phone Central

HAVING SAID ALL THAT, haha. I do NOT think they will be killing the name of Skype. That would be like saying "Spreadsheets always signing in with Microsoft account, retire the Excel Name."
    Skype IS the name of their communications service...you can't get away from that now, it has a LOT of brand power.
    02-11-2014 07:43 AM
    Unfortunately I can't use Skype on recent Microsoft platforms, because it will force me to merge my Outlook and Skype accounts. I am not prepared to do this.
    Nice one Steve!
    02-11-2014 07:56 AM
    HAVING SAID ALL THAT, haha. I do NOT think they will be killing the name of Skype. That would be like saying "Spreadsheets always signing in with Microsoft account, retire the Excel Name."
    Skype IS the name of their communications service...you can't get away from that now, it has a LOT of brand power.
    You are mistaken, I mean is elimination of Skype Name, instead of Skype brand.

PS: What is Skype Name?Skype Name is unique username for Skype.
    02-14-2014 10:18 AM
    Unfortunately I can't use Skype on recent Microsoft platforms, because it will force me to merge my Outlook and Skype accounts. I am not prepared to do this.
    Nice one Steve!
    You only have to merge it if you want your MSN messenger contacts or Live messenger contacts to be used with Skype. Otherwise you can still log into Skype using your Skype name.
    02-14-2014 11:17 AM
    You only have to merge it if you want your MSN messenger contacts or Live messenger contacts to be used with Skype. Otherwise you can still log into Skype using your Skype name.
    When I installed Skype (metro version) on Windows 8, told me it would merge my Outlook account (which I use to log into W8) and my Skype account. There was only an "OK" button. So I uninstalled the app. I didn't try Skype on WP.
    If Skype on other recent Windows platforms doesn't force you to do this, then please disregard my comment.
    02-14-2014 01:18 PM
    Even worse, if you sign in with your Microsoft account (then you can also send instant messages to Messenger friends), send instant messages to friends on Skype, your friends will receive two duplicate messages, one on Skype app, one in the built-in Messaging app.
    02-15-2014 07:03 AM