Vote for my requested feature for windowsphone driving mode

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I can tell what you are going for, an Xbox One type of experience in your car...but the difference there is that you don't have to worry about power/battery constraints. With your phone and an active listening experience, you would HAVE to be plugged in for it to be feasible...could code that similar to how your phone would sync when it was plugged in and on WiFi back in the WP7 days.

I wonder too how it would work for data, I think most of the voice processing with the phone is done on the cloud, so it sends the audio and compiles it on servers...but that would only need to be done after the key word; and I don't know the processing constraints around what the Kinect needs when it is listening for "Xbox"...but I'd imagine it is quite a bit.

mtav1

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Those are all legitimate points. The battery issue is no different than using your phone for GPS Navigation; you would need to have it plugged in. The impact on data shouldn't be an issue, as it would be the same as using the Personal Assistant in regular phone usage where the data is being used in voice processing.

Last edited:

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I voted for it, but to me, it is more important to sever the Bluetooth connection requirement for this to work. The Diver Mode should turn on whenever the vehicle reached a preset speed and stay on until the vehicle comes to a halt for more than five minutes. My car is not Bluetooth enabled - I have to bring a Bluetooth speaker with me in order to use the Driver Mode.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Those are all legitimate points. The battery issue is no different than using your phone for GPS Navigation; you would need to have it plugged in.

it is different in that GPS is a manual app that you actively turn on and off. They are the same in that they are both battery hogs, but that is the difference between always on and on specifically because you told it. And if you have to manually turn on the active listening, why not just push when needed?

The impact on data shouldn't be an issue, as it would be the same as using the Personal Assistant in regular phone usage where the data is being used in voice processing.

Am I incorrect in that data is needed to convert the noises we are making into text on our phone?

Maybe I don't understand what exactly you were hoping to get, but if you constantly computing voice into text and acting on certain key words, you'd have a constant yet small stream of data going while it was listening.

My understanding is that it uses data to put the words to text because I remember reading an article about how they were speeding up their servers and how you would see the results in faster voice to text conversions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb