Initial thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?

anon(8050146)

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
It looks promising but I hope the annoyances are fixed.

1. Status display - currently it only displays time permanently. It auto-hides signal bar, other status like battery life etc. Hopefully there is an option to put those permanently or auto-hide.
2. Email app - It has a display bug. Live tile displays 3 new mails but when you tap on it and read only one. When you get back to start screen the email count is 0 and not 2.
3. IE resume - Right now honestly IE in WP7 is superior. Try it. Open another tab in WP7 switch back to the other and its fast. WP8 re-loads every page under each tabs when you switch to it. This has to be fixed. IE should have an option to run in the background so fast resume can happen.
4. You cannot edit a number in the phone - let's say somebody texted you a number and you can choose call but if you have to edit that number to include "+" or country code. This is true to numbers not in your contact list. In Blackberry you could do this.
5. You cannot turn off mobile connections selectively - We should be able to turn off mobile and 3G. Or this can be done today?

They are annoyances to you. They are features to me.

1. It's made this way so it doesn't display too much visual information at the same time. It's made to be simple to the eye. I don't mind if they add an option as long the default keeps being auto-hide.
2. It's not a bug. It's a feature and a great one. I don't want to read e-mails individually to mark as read on the live tile. I want to check the mail and read their subjects. Most of the time I don't want to spend time opening the email because it's not important for the very moment. It's perfect the way it is. I don't mind if they add an option to "fix" this for you.
3. Maybe your phone only has 512MB RAM? I have the lumia 925 and when I got back to IE, the opened tabs were ready to use.
5. I don't really get what you going for but you can turn off mobile data and force use of any network version from 2G, 3G to 4G as long your phone supports it, in settings. You can turn off cellular network altogether by turning on airplane mode, in settings also.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
wow really bro... You don't care even about SD app installation...improvements made to I.E, onedrive file access or action center??

SD app installation are only suitable for phones with 8gb storage only and you will probably need a high speed Class 10 SD card unless you are not going to install games in SD card. Regarding IE, the only lackluster are inprivate browsing and better HTML5. The current version of OneDrive is okay. Action Center seems not a big deal to me.

I an hoping for a better camera algorithm in 8.1 since I bought a Lumia because of the camera.

truly_sk

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
SD app installation are only suitable for phones with 8gb storage only and you will probably need a high speed Class 10 SD card unless you are not going to install games in SD card. Regarding IE, the only lackluster are inprivate browsing and better HTML5. The current version of OneDrive is okay. Action Center seems not a big deal to me.

I an hoping for a better camera algorithm in 8.1 since I bought a Lumia because of the camera.

Well i hope that new camera works to your expectations and above...

And there other features won't hurt you I guess, although I hope you're wrong about the class 10 issue with the SD card since lower class cards on Android seem to work just fine transferring app data between SD and CPU... Maybe it'll come down to good app and game development.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Well i hope that new camera works to your expectations and above...

And there other features won't hurt you I guess, although I hope you're wrong about the class 10 issue with the SD card since lower class cards on Android seem to work just fine transferring app data between SD and CPU... Maybe it'll come down to good app and game development.

I don't care about class 10 sd cards as that's all I buy anyway. Mind you they are used for digital camera pictures and video but I wont buy anything other than class 10 now. I just wish the price was cheaper so I could buy the extreme cards.

reglu

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys, so, what do you think, is 10 April true date of starting WP 8.1 update for Developers also for Lumia 620 devices...??? :)

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm more than happy with everything that's been announced but, and maybe I missed something, have they given any kind of time frame for release?

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Are all the top icons like battery always visable now???? they are there in all videos, I don't want to see them!

Looks like it. They go away while in Cortana and certain other apps but it sucks that they no longer hide while you're on the start screen to keep things clean and uncluttered. Bad decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte