Supported resolutions?

MojoDoj0

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if resolutions higher than full hd is supported in WP 8.1? This will show if rumors about upcoming Nokias are accurate or not.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What's the point?

Our eyes cant distinguish a sub 450 ppi screen from a 450+ ppi screen.

No visual gain and these high resolution screens would just kill the battery.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You don't need anything above 720p actually. You can't distinguish, as said above. The only reason (which doesnt exist on WP, only on symbian/android .. etc) would be more widgets - I remember that on my N8 I could put only like a few widgets and a few shortcuts and my homescreen is full (360x640 resolution). You can NOT tell the difference between that and a fullHD, not even to talk about fullHD and QHD. Useless, useless, useless.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
read these article on anandtech tech, display technology can still improve. AnandTech | The Pixel Density Race and its Technical Merits

The article is about going to the theoretical limits of the human eye. Just because someone could theoretically tell a difference (assuming perfect eyesight which nobody has, under perfect lighting conditions which almost never exist, and looking at a picture with infinite contrast which no smartphone display can replicate, and by squinting and shoving the device up your nose), doesn't mean you'd be able to tell a difference in everyday use. The benefits above 720p are already very small. Above 1080p they are, for all practical purposes, non existent. On the other hand, what you must give up for that miniscule benefit is very noticeable. Worse frame rates in games. Worse battery life or a dimmer display. Poorer contrast... It's a ridiculous marketing driven hype that is good for nothing but bragging rights, and in many cases its counterproductive.

All of this assumes we're talking about devices with a 5" display or smaller. Once we get into tablet sizes it's obviously a different story.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss