What will happen to current xap apps ?

Akash Kodesia

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
So according to the last leak the new extension of apps will be appx so what will happen to the xap apps currently in the windows phone store.
Will wp 8.1 support old apps/xap apps or old xap apps will be converted to appx by windows phone store for wp 8.1 ?

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
All existing .xaps will still exist and function on both WP8 and WP8.1. The new .appx format is for new apps (or existing apps that target only WP8.1) that are coded for WP8.1 or using the new template for both WinRT and WP8.1, this change to the file format and the new APIs included in WP8.1 are why WP8 won't be able to open and install WP8.1 Applications

WP8.1 will still be able to open and install the old .xap files, but the functionality has been extended for the OS to also open the new .appx format files as well. Hopefully that clears things up for you

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
All applications will most likely be converted to appx format. I am not sure how it all works as I don't have a vast knowledge on programming. Microsoft will notify the devs to change their applications' format maybe?

My two cents..

rakiBoi

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
nope.. Window 8.1 run .exe file extension while windows phone 8.1 run .XAP or .APPX which is optimize for windows phone alone..

cox .xap is only optimize for phone,, not for desktop/laptop....

not to worry if the developer use both file extension,,(.xap or .appx) coz they both build for Windows phone program execution... windows phone 8 and below can only read .xap while windows phone 8.1 and up can read both....

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)