Bluetooth keyboard support?

alex_roddie

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Are we finally going to see Bluetooth keyboard support in this update? It frankly seems insane we've had to wait so long for such a basic feature, particularly when you consider the excellent Office integration.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately there's been no indication of this. Lots of people would point you to a tablet as they feel a phone (though I think a 1520 would be great with a keyboard) is just too small to be productive on.

alex_roddie

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
It's a shame if MS feels we don't need this feature. I used it all the time on my Galaxy Note and personally I would love to be able to use a keyboard with my 1520. I also have a tablet, but don't always carry it

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's a shame if MS feels we don't need this feature. I used it all the time on my Galaxy Note and personally I would love to be able to use a keyboard with my 1520. I also have a tablet, but don't always carry it

There's a certain philosophy to the Windows ecosystem.

WP - Do the basics well. Mobile office is for reviewing and small corrections only.
RT - Do more on the go. Full office suite.
W8 - For all your computer needs.

I'd like to point out that I have no objection to a BT keyboard. I'm just explaining the thinking.

Mark Byrnes

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a Toshiba Encore 8" tablet which works just great with HDMI out to a big screen when used with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I also have a miracast device to use with it. Now when I travel, I leave my big heavy laptop at home. I also carry (and love) a Nokia 920. I just ordered a Nokia 1520. With miracast support coming in 8.1, I could nearly leave the tablet at home and just use the 1520, providing I can hook the keyboard and mouse up.

wyrdfish

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Reading that article it seems like the keyboard profile is blocked.
Someone will have to try it when a version of 8.1 is available to the public.

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
There are millions of us business-app users who like the idea of being able to keep your Windows Phone in your shirt pocket and an IGo Stowaway full-sized folding keyboard in your coat pocket and go to town on a plane or at a cafe or wherever and efficiently create a document on the go or take impromptu notes at a meeting. I don't want to always have to carry an oversized tablet or phablet or whatever.

It's not freaking rocket science to add an HID BT interface. My Nokia Symbian phone had it 6 freaking years ago.

The devlopers of an OS that offers Office as a selling point without providing the means to utilize it in an efficient manner and to its potential are tone deaf at best, and deliberately thwarting customer experience and demand, at worst.

I think it's somewhere between the two.

If you're going to provide Office with no interface to utilize it efficiently and to its potential, then Office is no more than a toy (aww--how cute--the phone has Office)--

It's like providing a Lamborghini with no tires and a Model-T engine and saying, "Here you go--have at it."

If you're going to provide access to a powerful business app, either provide the means to use it efficiently and powerfully, or don't provide it at all.

It's not enough to make HID available only to third party app developers for specific applications.

Geeze--all I want is my freaking Bluetooth keyboard to work!

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Reading that article it seems like the keyboard profile is blocked.
Someone will have to try it when a version of 8.1 is available to the public.

This is not what it says. It says developers can't access those HIDs through the API in their apps. There is no reason the OS can't support these HID devices nor does it say it can't or won't.

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
DAMN YOU, WINDOWS PHONE DEVELOPERS!!! You couldn't add a freaking HID Bluetooth protocol??? REALLY?

I FINALLY got the Windows 8.1 update on my Lumia 1020 and it STILL WON'T PAIR with my I-Go Stowaway keyboard!

Are you freaking tone-deaf, or what???

Gary Childers

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Mr. Holmstedt's colorful and enthusiastic comments on Bluetooth keyboard support are right on target. My Lumia 635 updated to Denim this morning, and it still doesn't support my beautiful Microsoft BT keyboard.
This needs fixed NOW.

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I now have Windows 10 on my Lumia 1020 device. I still can't get my Igo Stowaway keyboard to pair, even though it says you're supposed to be able to use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse while using Continuum.

CRAP. CRAP. CRAP.

I will be getting my Lumia 950 in a few days.

One more chance for the Windows 10 system to get it right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers