will the messaging app go away?

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8.1 removed messaging, and people use Skype now instead. I'm wondering how messaging will be handled in WP8.1? will Skype handle SMS messaging, as well as IM and others? Will Skype do MMS?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
It seems unlikely that WP will stop supporting SMS/MMS natively. Using Skype is not universally viable. So I think Messaging will remain a part of Windows Phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't see SMS going away anytime soon. It's a cash cow for carriers, and it'll be necessary until feature phones no longer exist.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I would think not... I get SMS has been going down over the years, but for me, it's still the number one way I text with my friends. Same thing at my school: it's dominated by iPhones, so everyone is either communicating with iMessage or native SMS, there's virtually no middle ground (aside from the kids with iPod Touches who are forced to use messaging apps).

Besides, even if 99% of people on WP stopped using SMS, why dump it? It's already there, and if it could make even just a couple people happy, why bother trying to remove it?

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't see SMS/MMS going away either. What I'm trying to get at will be whether they will keep a messaging app to handle SMS/MMS, or integrate SMS/MMS into Skype...

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the OP is suggesting that sms is going away, just that Skype on WP8 will be able to handle it and internet messaging together and switch back and forth.

iOS does this with it's messaging app, merging iMessage and sms into a single hub. Google hangouts does this on Android and can replace the native Android sms app.

I think MS would be smart to do this and it might drive big adoption of Skype as a calling service if people rely on it cross platform, but Skype doesn't work that we'll on mobile yet so it's probably at least as far away as threshold. I suspect killing msn messenger was step one on this but Skype is a long ways from a one stop, all things communication option.

Someday maybe.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of integrating Skype into the messaging hub like Apple have done with iMessage. I hope they do this and also enable it to send pictures and other media files.

albogino

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
What I'm wondering is:

1. Will there be 3rd party keyboards available?
2. The current keyboard will be updated but no details are given that I know of. Can someone chime in if they know anything specific? I really hope they made the space bar longer, no more,more,of,this

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
What I'm wondering is:

1. Will there be 3rd party keyboards available?
2. The current keyboard will be updated but no details are given that I know of. Can someone chime in if they know anything specific? I really hope they made the space bar longer, no more,more,of,this

I hope they add third party keyboards. I don't need one, but it'd be nice for those who do. However, I really hope they don't change the current default keyboard. I'd be crushed, because I love the WP keyboard. I might, ideally, change an aspect or two, but overall, it's my favorite mobile keyboard of any OS on the market. Change it, and I'd cry.

But allowing people to download third party keyboards that suite them? Awesome, full speed ahead.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Skype better plug into messaging and not the other way around because the Skype app is a big steaming pile. They really don't know how to do development....on ANY platform. I hear their backend is a nightmare of kludges as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion