Survey for Windows Phone exclusive game studio

fathamburger

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
EDIT : forgot to actually paste the survey questions. I also need at least 25 responses total from all the various sources I'm asking this on, so keep them coming thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm new here but considering going Windows Phone exclusive for a mobile game startup that's already gotten some govt support. Can't say too much of the reason why other than the initial game pretty much could *only* be done in Windows Phone believe it or not lol and would utilize exclusive features. As part of the govt program I do have to go out and send out surveys and basically get (hopefully) positive responses that there will be a demand for said games or apps.

Please reply in this thread. Your support could mean getting a system seller title off the ground and definitely one that would justify a Windows Phone purchase.

1) How often do you check the app store/marketplace?

2) Have you ever actually paid money for an app? do you buy them every month? what's your usual spend?

3) Are you a gamer? if so what gaming sites do you frequent for gaming news?

4) Do you play mobile games? if so, do you seek out light entertainment mainly designed to pass the time? or do you look for premium/"real" games?

5) What do you think of the $15 price point for a game that's worth your time and one that you would make time for in order to play?

6) What Windows Phone games have you purchased? how much did you pay for them?

7) Do you think there's a lack of native exclusive Windows Phone games?

8) Would like to see Windows Phone exclusive games utilizing features unique to the OS i.e Live Tiles?

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm new here but considering going Windows Phone exclusive for a mobile game startup that's already gotten some govt support. Can't say too much of the reason why other than the initial game pretty much could *only* be done in Windows Phone believe it or not lol and would utilize exclusive features. As part of the govt program I do have to go out and send out surveys and basically get (hopefully) positive responses that there will be a demand for said games or apps.

Please reply in this thread. Your support could mean getting a system seller title off the ground and definitely one that would justify a Windows Phone purchase.

Certainly gets my support, Windows Phone 8.1 will add support for Universal Apps as well so you could target WP, Windows RT and Windows 8.1 using one app.

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Answers:
1) Daily.
2) I prefer free apps, but if i try a really really awesome app, I can pay as much as it requires.
3) Yes, I visit GTA garage sometimes and CnC website because I love strategy games.
4) I like 3Toops, Asphalt but I would appreciate games that would allow multiplayer over wifi/bluetooth/ad hoc and think of Windows Phone and Android players on one Multiplayer.
5) $15 is pretty high, but for a game like Red Alert 3 on Windows Phone I'll be ready to pay higher.
6) not paid any app yet, however I got several when they were free, probably they had combined value of over $30.
7) I will personally support devs looking to launch WP exclusive apps, I myself want to be one. graduation cannot come sooner :S
8) Well of course I would like that, for any app you're thinking, make it an example for other devs ;)

More over, I want to emphasise that if you're thinking of an app on WP, make a viral app for free and put some ads on the menus, not the gameplay. Think flappy bird :p

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
1) How often do you check the app store/marketplace? Not often, but I'll find out about new apps mainly from WPCentral's news blogs

2) Have you ever actually paid money for an app? do you buy them every month? what's your usual spend? Yes. It varies, based upon how useful the app is for me and how well it works.

3) Are you a gamer? if so what gaming sites do you frequent for gaming news? PC gamer only--Steam

4) Do you play mobile games? if so, do you seek out light entertainment mainly designed to pass the time? or do you look for premium/"real" games? No. I have no interest in mobile games.

5) What do you think of the $15 price point for a game that's worth your time and one that you would make time for in order to play? That is actually cheap for PC games, but those are the only ones that interest me.

6) What Windows Phone games have you purchased? how much did you pay for them? None. I tried a few free games on an older device, but my current device has no games at all, free or paid.

7) Do you think there's a lack of native exclusive Windows Phone games? I really do not know, since mobile games are not something that interests me.

8) Would like to see Windows Phone exclusive games utilizing features unique to the OS i.e Live Tiles? It really would not matter to me.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Like every other day. Usually I get info of new apps and updates from WPCentral though.
2) Have you ever actually paid money for an app? do you buy them every month? what's your usual spend?
Yes! depends on the month. usually $1-2 but seldom $5-10 when I find really good games, such as Halo.
PC gamer! I read MaximumPC magazine and I visit IGN and PC Gamer seldomly.
4) Do you play mobile games? if so, do you seek out light entertainment mainly designed to pass the time? or do you look for premium/"real" games?
Mostly light games to pass time on my phone, nothing real heavy that would require a ton of time or battery life. For tablets and desktop, yes I'd prefer "real" games, such as Halo: Spartan Assault.
5) What do you think of the $15 price point for a game that's worth your time and one that you would make time for in order to play?
I'm not quite used to spending THAT much on a phone game, the max being $7 for Halo so I think that is very high. I would consider <$10 for phones. Tablets you can probably do $15.
A lot! I mostly get them when they're on red stripe or when they're free, promotional. I've paid from $0.99 to $6.99 for a game.
Definitely! We're the little guys begging for ports from iOS and Android :(
8) Would like to see Windows Phone exclusive games utilizing features unique to the OS i.e Live Tiles?
I usually don't pin games to my homescreen. That's what the game hub is for and I only pin necessary tiles on my homescreen to minimize clutter. But other unique features would be really nice!
Please implement cloud sync! Having to ponder about losing game saves when moving to new phones is ridiculous!

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
1. Daily

2. Yes, i have purchased some games. If a game looks worthy enough i'll buy it. Time periods don't matter.

3. Yes. IGN for news. Multiple Youtube Channels for Gameplay & Reviews.

4. Yes. I do play light games (like city builders, endless runners, puzzles) but I only play them for a few hours on my device. I quickly switch back to high end games like Asphalt 8 & Halo SA.

5. $15 or $1, I don't care as long as it provides a good game-play, good sleek interface,lots of content, online save backup. But if the game has IAP's I will ignore it.

6. Asphalt (7&8). Halo SA, Rayman JR, Mirrors Edge, Skulls of Shogun, N.O.V.A 3.

7. I think there is. But as the platform grows so does the native games.

8. A Sleek Icon (like Halo SA), Live Tile Support & Xbox integration is very appreciated.

PS. Paid games with huge IAP's are deal breakers. (Unless its as good as Asphalt)
Freemium games with IAPs is also something i won't support.

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
1) How often do you check the app store/marketplace? - Daily

2) Have you ever actually paid money for an app? do you buy them every month? what's your usual spend? - Yes I have paid for apps, not every month and usually only spend up to ?5

3) Are you a gamer? if so what gaming sites do you frequent for gaming news? - Yes, I frequent NeoGaf, Reddit, Eurogamer, CVG

4) Do you play mobile games? if so, do you seek out light entertainment mainly designed to pass the time? or do you look for premium/"real" games? - Usually games to pass time when on train like Angry Birds, Six Guns, Asphalt 8

5) What do you think of the $15 price point for a game that's worth your time and one that you would make time for in order to play? - $15 would be fine if there was no other hidden purchases

7) Do you think there's a lack of native exclusive Windows Phone games? - No

8) Would like to see Windows Phone exclusive games utilizing features unique to the OS i.e Live Tiles? - Yes

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Once every few days, maybe once a week.

I have. And definitely don't hesitate to spend money on apps for devs I want to support, or a service that is really worthwhile, and that I know will still exist a month after purchase.

Yes. I visit a bunch, but mostly IGN, Polygon, Rev3 Games, Joystiq, and a few obscure ones if their tweets happen to show up in my timeline.

I do, but mostly card or board games that don't involve really awkward, tiring hand movements or holding the screen in an uncomfortable position. But if there are any premium-like games that utilize a touch screen well, I would buy those types of games, for sure.

A bit steep, especially considering that big time AAA studios don't even charge that much for a game, but if I truly believe in the concept and want to support a developer, I might. But it does seem a bit steep for mobile. I know $15 barely puts bread on the table for developers, but you gotta consider the market.

Simple games like Wordament, Sudoku, Solitaire, etc. but I'm relatively new to Windows Phone, so I haven't been able to explore all the games available just yet.

I don't know if exclusives are important at this point. Although I would LOVE exclusive games. It would give WP users something to be proud of that iOS and Android don't have for once. But there are also a lot of games that aren't yet available on WP that are on the other platforms. So I don't know if MS is aiming for exclusives at this point, they just want more support for existing games on other platforms. But I would love to have exclusives. Especially that support Xbox Live. That's something the other platforms can't compete with.

Live Tile integration would be nice, but Xbox Live support and achievements would be really awesome.

VisualD

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Every other day

Actually way more that I thought. At least min 50€ in total since August. Prices payed varies a lot but I've donated for really good creative apps too.

I used to be, now I'm just a bit over casual growing bored of the immature modern gaming community and gaming industry. I play everyday though but not as a hardcore. Gamereactor and IGN are my main sources for info.

Both light and more heavy ones.

If it is polished, fun and creative I have no problem with the price point. Being light on the battery drain helps a lot too. Demo/trial helps a lot too.

Too many to list but between like 0.5-10€ I think.

Yes, games created to run long and smooth on the limited hardware are too few.

That would increase interest a lot. Keeping some WP "style" for the design would be nice to.

fathamburger

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the additional replies guys. I'm still short 2 more surveys if more people could answer. By the way the "premium" means serious/innovative approach to the game, not necessarily the controls. I'm well aware that mobile controls suck and I can't stand action/twitch games on mobile either. $15 is along the lines of what most high quality indies would charge and that's how I'd be approaching things

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium